Main Menu

The Trailer Thread

Started by radiator, 16 November, 2011, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Antlers looks right up my alley. Nice moody trailer, and a great cast:

https://youtu.be/2aiYxwVuZ1o

Frank

Call Of The Wild. Han Solo* and a cartoon dog that is the single worst piece of lead character CGI I have ever witnessed.

And I've seen Phantom Menace and An American Werewolf In Paris.

* As a kid, I wanted everything Ford was in to be awesome. I almost convinced myself Witness was good and I rationalised Mosquito Coast and Working Girl as necessary broadening of his palette. Regarding Henry was the point where I had to admit there was some shit even he couldn't save.

Jim_Campbell

Better late than never, and (surprisingly) not looking terrible:

The New Mutants.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Ah, the Demon Bear - a prime bit of Sienkiewicz.

Bobby looks like a good bit of casting - the actor radiates the smugness of a da Costa - but like the rest of 'em, he's a little on the old side. Actually, most of the cast seem pretty well chosen, but I'm not sure I can cope with a non-blonde Sam - he just doesn't look right. I presume their mentor is Cecilia Reyes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 January, 2020, 05:02:59 PM

He's said he's pretty happy with it on the old social medias, too.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 January, 2020, 05:07:11 PM

That's a good sign - if they can capture even a soupcon of his unique-but-notoriously-difficult-to-replicate aesthetic, they're doing well. (See also: Warlock, who proved virtually impossible for anyone else to draw.)

CalHab

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 January, 2020, 05:16:57 PM

That's a good sign - if they can capture even a soupcon of his unique-but-notoriously-difficult-to-replicate aesthetic, they're doing well. (See also: Warlock, who proved virtually impossible for anyone else to draw.)

One of the great achievements of "Into the Spider-Verse" was in animating Sienkiewicz's take on Kingpin. That film is a modern classic.

Rately

Quote from: CalHab on 07 January, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 06 January, 2020, 05:16:57 PM

One of the great achievements of "Into the Spider-Verse" was in animating Sienkiewicz's take on Kingpin. That film is a modern classic.

Fantastic movie.

Easily my favourite Spider-man movie, and the current Marvel version could do worse than take on board some of the heart and soul of it.

TordelBack

The highpoint of the entire comic, so they certainly picked the right start.  Although as I think we discussed at the time, Annihilation rather stole a march on scary bear antics.

It's a bit odd seeing the cast looking younger than in their recent appearances, but they're not bad choices.  Roberto and Illyana work best visually, and while Sam will take some getting used-to appearance-wise Charlie Heaton is a solid actor. And wot, no Xian?

If Maisie Williams does end up mangling Rahne's accent, that will at least be true to the Claremont original.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 January, 2020, 03:50:56 PM
And wot, no Xian?

Thing is, if you were going to swap out one of the founders for Illyana - which they appear to have done - it's Xi'an you'd get rid of. And yes, I can imagine that switching the gay Asian girl for the straight white blonde will have rubbed some up the wrong way, but as a character, Xi'an's the least well-developed of the New Mutants - she just never really 'stuck' as a character in the way that Sam and Bobby or even Rahne did. (I say Illyana's straight, but I'm struggling to think of her really having much interest in boys, bar the female New Mutants' usual fantasising about Tom Selleck. Less said about the deliberately unpleasant undertones of her relationship with Belasco, the better.)

TordelBack

Woah momma, the Dune trail is incredibly tasty.  Fantastic cast,  just fantastic.

von Boom

TordelBack

Holy shit, finally,: a movie spin-off from the Voyager "Fair Haven" holodeck program, with Emily Blunt as Capt Janeway!

https://twitter.com/Elevation_Pics/status/1326215545465630725?s=20

CalHab

CalHab

Also, isn't Wild Mountain Thyme a Scottish song? I realise there's a huge amount of crossover, but I think I've only ever heard it sung by Scots musicians. Mixing up Ireland and Scotland would be just like Americans who bullshit about "the Old Country".