Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and seventy-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 844-847 of 2000AD, covering July & August 1993. This episode we're rolling forward with the summer offensive, as Maniac 5 executes and is executed, Really & Truly hit the road, the Slaughterbowl begins, Big Dave starts a new adventure, and an age old enemy returns in Judge Dredd*! Also we argue about Big Dave for like half an hour!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

*The age old enemy is Walter
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

On the Third Day the Podcast rose!

Loved this one - I can get both Fox's frustration at having to read Big Dave and his desire to distance himself from the toxicity of it as well as Conrad's frustration at wanting to put the thing into the context of the time (as he mentions, Viz etc, but I recall proto Edgelords were sprouting up elsewhere, and Millar was just an early adopter rather than an originator of that kind of "humour")

Hopefully the next one will be along like buses!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 18 April, 2022, 08:12:11 PM
Hopefully the next one will be along like buses!

That's definitely the plan!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and seventy-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 848-851 of 2000AD, covering August & September 1993. This episode we've reached the end of the summer offensive, so we'll have some finalies and then do a few progs of prologues with Friday, Luke Kirby, The Gronk, and the return of Slaine!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Great one - somehow in the years since reading these progs I've forgotten all the salacious situations whicih occurred in the non-Big Dave stories.

p.s. if giros come up as a plot point again, pronounce it like gyrate, not gear.

AlexF

So now that the show is done with the Summer Offensive, and our beloved hosts have expressed clear opinions on it, I've been desperately trying to remember what it felt like at the time. Bearing in mind that I was 15 years old (just), and the only opinions I had access to were my big brother + Tharg's input page. Big Dave may have been "shocking" but it didn;t make the news or get the comic discussed in Parliament or anything.

Both of us loved Slaughterbowl, which got zero love from Tharg at the time, glad to have that vindicated!

I had a vague feeling that we at home thought Inferno was just a bit silly, but that plenty of readers liked it, only to find that in the last 20 years it has become perhaps THE most despised Mega Epic. Really & Truly I've an idea people kinda thought was cool at the time? Maybe it was just that Rian Hughes's art was so unlike anything else in the Prog, and the concept of a drug-fuelled road trip itself felt novel. I wanted to like it but didn't get it - and now it turns out it's just smug and dull. No one then or now has any opinons on Maniac 5. Sure it's violent enough but it's neither clever nor stupid enough to stand out in any way.

Which leaves of course Big Dave, and I'm pretty sure the vibe at the time was 'if you're one of the cool clever kids, you think this is GREAT.' If you don't like it - and plenty didn't - you're just not getting it. Mostly I remember not understanding the joke, although I'd side with Conrad vs Fox in that at the time I was definitely aware of the 'Sun' style speech and got most of the topical/political references, even if I didn't find them funny. I think the only joke that landed for me was teaming up Big Dave with a steroided version of Terry Waite. In hindsight, it feels like Grant n Mark new what they wanted to do, but didn't really know how to do it. At least it actually WAS offensive. And I will say that the way Tharg hyped the whole thing, combined with the utterly non-serious tone of all the strips, did kind of work to make the Prog feel more vital and fresh for those 8 weeks.

Very tempted to vote for the whole lot as the year's MVP, it's still a focal point for discussion. Go on Tharg, dare you to do a special Regened 'totally offensive' Prog for the 30th anniversary next year...

WhizzBang

Quote from: AlexF on 29 April, 2022, 01:03:17 PM
I had a vague feeling that we at home thought Inferno was just a bit silly, but that plenty of readers liked it, only to find that in the last 20 years it has become perhaps THE most despised Mega Epic.

From catching up with all the stuff I missed through getting the Case Files, Inferno and Crusade were the least enjoyable epics. I would now add that one from recently with the 4 horseman of the apocolypse to that list too.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our mega thirty-third episode Eli and Conrad continue their patrol through the world of Judge Dredd with volume two, issues 35-38 of the Judge Dredd Megazine, covering August, September, and October of 1993. This episode Judge Dredd fights Slick Dickens and Mechanismo, an evil clown taunts Hershey, and both the Taxidermist and Chopper return!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and seventy-nine episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1994 2000AD Yearbook.  This is the third 2000AD Yearbook, an annual-type document with a bunch of theoretically space themed stories, though I'd say there's more of a horror theme,  featuring Tyranny Rex, Robo Hunter, The Clown, Judge Dredd, Luke Kirby, Rogue Trooper, and that dang Big Dave!

This episode Conrad is joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega-City Book club podcast! Every other week Eamonn and a guest read and review a 2000AD related collection. It's a great show, especially for fans of 2000AD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Tyranny Rex pulling a Dan Dare and genociding a species :D

Eamonn Clarke

Fact checking myself: Bob Holness presented the game show Blockbusters and not Countdown. I was so eager to get the James Bond trivia out that I forgot myself. Luckily I didn't say he played the saxophone on Baker Street.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 16 May, 2022, 07:54:48 PM
Fact checking myself: Bob Holness presented the game show Blockbusters and not Countdown. I was so eager to get the James Bond trivia out that I forgot myself. Luckily I didn't say he played the saxophone on Baker Street.

First James Bond too. On the radio.

Funt Solo

I'll have a 'P' please, Bob.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 May, 2022, 08:23:53 PM

First James Bond too. On the radio.

I will learn to read a post properly before jumpin' in with my useless information ... especially when I quote it. I will... one day... honest...

The Monarch

i am second guessing myself....is that terror tale that was mentioned an old scream castoff? or is it just a homage to scream?