Main Menu

Judge Dredd RPG

Started by evil.genius, 03 December, 2001, 11:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil.genius

I'm not sure how many of you are gamers but here goes. I just noticed that Mongoose Publishing will be producing 2000AD based RPG's. I have been Role-playing for 17 or 18 years now and I have never heard of this company, so I did a little digging. Turns out that they are a company which produces supplements for the, in my opinion, outdated and very cumbersome d20 system (the one used by AD&D) and plan to use this system for 2000 ad games.
I can't see 2000AD games being popular if this system is used. The only d20 based game I have ever seen at a role-playing convention is AD&D.
Rebellion would have been much better off talking to Steve Jackson games or White Wolf.
What do you think?

Wood

Actually, the best system is the one Marcus Rowland (who wrote some of the old JD RPG adventures) made up for Forgotten Futures. Say you use that (cos it's quick, dirty and heroic), add a few robots, aliens, mutations and psychic powers and invent a ThrillPower points system (so, you spend a ThrillPower Point and you succeed in something heroic, in a kind of 'gaze into the fist of dredd' kind of way, and you get them back at the end of the story, earning more by playing well) - Bob's your uncle.  

Link: http://www.ffutures.demon.co.uk/ff.htm" target="_blank">The Forgotten Futures Game system as shareware

nemesis

I think id be more interested in playing a perp avoiding the law armed with a deadly d4 (the bane of palms, knees, elbows and feet all across the living room!)

Matt

I would have thought producing 2000AD RPGs was a bit old hat now computer games are as good as they are. Do people still use 20 sided dice & bits of paper to have a good time?

Wake

IMHO, RPGs are far better than computer games because they involve (encourage) social interaction.

I play Vampire the Masquerade on a weekly basis with friends I wouldn't see nearly as often otherwise. Most of the friends I keep in contact with from school and uni are the people I role-played with.

Wake

nathan

"Do people still use 20 sided dice & bits of paper to have a good time?"

Some people still use bits of paper folded in half with little pictures and words printed on them. To have a good time. Honest.

N

fraston

i was at dragonmeet this weekend in london (i was asked to go) and, not being an rpg'er i share the same lack of enthusiasm as u do Matt. but dip me in flour and call me a donut if it wasn't horrendously packed, all sortsa types there: girls, boys, kids, oldies, smart stoopid rich very poor-looking black white painted green....

i admit i can't get into it, but seeing these things (and talking to many folks in the states about it) it seems rpg's are as big as they ever were/

crazy....

f

evil.genius

If anything RPG's are bigger than ever. I've been going to conventions for about 12 years now and each seems larger than the last. There are a lot of new faces there but the old hands are still coming and a lot of money gets spent. There is a very large market for games, and if a Dredd game is done right, a chunk of that could be heading rebellions way. Which can't be bad.

evil.genius

Card games are also very popular now. I'm not talking about the rip-off collectable card games, I'm talking about the "all you need is in the box" type games.
I think there could be a market here for 2000AD products too. Check out www.cheapassgames.com who produce such excellent titles as "Give me the Brain!" and "Kill Doctor Lucky". Steve Jackson  Games produce some of the most popular boxed card games like "Munchkin" and "Chez Geek" (I'll put a link to the SJG site).
If one of the more light-hearted strips were chosen and a fun card game created I think it would sell. A lot of gamers are comic freaks too.

Link: http://www.sjgames.com" target="_blank">Steve Jackson Games

paulvonscott

Well, the D20 system is actually VERY popular and not just for D&D, it's been licensed as a generic system that anyone can use.  I's also pretty new, just this last year or so. I've never played it myself but it can't be as bad as the one used in the original Games Workshop RPG.  Also iot means that you'll be able to take Creatures from Call of Cthulhu D20, Elric D20 and countless other RPG's that are changing to the system and simply dimension jump them into Mega City One.

Also D20 wasn't used for AD&D.  AD&D had a different system.  This is the new system for 3rd Edition D&D.  Belive me there is a difference.  And for the record I never play D&D, so I'm pretty neutral on this.  I don't think the D20 should be used for all games but it saves people from having to create an entirely new system which may not be that good, just for the sake of it.

White Wolf would have been a big mistake in my opinion (and they too now use the D20 system for some of their supplements).  Steve Jackson Games always seem to make the effort and produce a lot of well crafted supplements, so they'd probably do a good job by default.

However Mongoose are a BRITISH company, and I think that is a good thing.  At least they probably are already fans, and their supplements so far seem okay, as they havn't done anything like Dredd, mainly just fantasy, it's a bit premature to judge them yet.

I was suprised to hear thet RPG's are more popular than ever, but it sounds optimistic.  I wouldn't claim they really promote social interaction, that seems a bit lame, but you certainly have to have a few friends.  Unlike most RPG computer games, you don't play them sitting on your tod.

Wake

Matthew Sprange from Mongoose has joined the Judge Dredd RPG Yahoo group and is actively discussing the new game. In my book that bodes well.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dredd/" target="_blank">Judge Dredd RPG Yahoo group

paulvonscott

Hey wake, thanks, I'll go join it.

Cheers.

Pvs