Main Menu

When to start?

Started by Fisticuffs, 26 June, 2012, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

I've dipped irregularly into the prog for a couple of years, and I'm slowly amassing the Dredd Complete Case Files, but I'd like to start regularly buying the Prog/Megazine, and even (whisper it) maybe get a subscription...

The thing is I don't want to start buying right in the middle of a big story like Day Of Chaos, I'd rather leave it and not come in in the middle of it. Is this the right thing to do? Or would it be best to even buy all the back issues to bring myself up to speed on the current strips?

Help!! :(

Taryn Tailz

I would recommend you wait until Prog 1800. That will be a jump on issue, so every story in that will be a first part.

Colin YNWA

Well it depends how patient you are Prog 1800 is fast approaching and that's bound to be a great jumping on point, though we have no details yet.

Now personally I'd go for it now and get all the back issues, BUT I think we might not be the best people to ask that as we're bias.

Either way enjoy it, its good to have you on  board.

Fisticuffs

Ah I see, it sounds like a good idea to wait until prog 1800, although I am a little impatient! :) Which prog did Day Of Chaos start in? If it's not too far back I'd persevere with tracking down back issues and dive in now.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 26 June, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
Ah I see, it sounds like a good idea to wait until prog 1800, although I am a little impatient! :) Which prog did Day Of Chaos start in? If it's not too far back I'd persevere with tracking down back issues and dive in now.

Prog 1740 is where the build-up to Day of Chaos starts, or you could skip the prologue and start the main storyline in prog 1750.  Both of those were "all new stories" jump-in progs; I only started getting the prog a couple of months back, so I went back to 1740 and bought up all the back issues from there.  I'd definitely recommend it as a great point to jump in, although it's quite a stack of progs to collect by now.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Skullmo

Prog 1 is a good starting point! ::)
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: a chosen rider on 26 June, 2012, 07:59:05 PM
Prog 1740 is where the build-up to Day of Chaos starts, or you could skip the prologue and start the main storyline in prog 1750.  Both of those were "all new stories" jump-in progs; I only started getting the prog a couple of months back, so I went back to 1740 and bought up all the back issues from there.  I'd definitely recommend it as a great point to jump in, although it's quite a stack of progs to collect by now.

Thanks, that is quite the large number of back issues! I just couldn't afford that sort of expenditure so it looks like I'll be waiting for prog 1800 then. :( Or until the Complete Case Files gets to the Day Of Chaos storyline in, oooh, 2019?  :'(

radiator

I expect that they'll publish a bespoke tpb collection of Day of Chaos sometime next year. It's a bit of a monster, comprising multiple stories running back a couple of years to The Skinnig Room and could potentially be spread over two volumes a la Tour of Duty.

My advice would be: start with prog 1800, but buy yourself a few trades to tide you over until then!

radiator

Oh, and get yourself a subscription - I pay for mine monthly, you save a bit on the cover price - its about a tenner for 2000ad/fifteen quid for both 2000ad and the Megazine and you get the mags on the Saturday morning before they go in sale.

Paying monthly is good cos you don't have to pay out loads upfront.

Fisticuffs

Ok thanks, I'll wait for 1800, get a sub' from then on, and just keep buying the Case Files until then.

Thanks everyone that replied.  :thumbsup:

Taryn Tailz

If you subscribe monthly is it like a rolling contract type thing, or do you have to subscribe for a year and pay monthly by direct debit?

W. R. Logan

Both.
There's a choice of up front for the year of monthly direct debit.

exilewood

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 26 June, 2012, 11:56:33 PM

There's a choice of up front for the year

Unlike Roger's Mom.

Emperor

Just dive in like most of us have done in the past,* 2000AD is relatively continuity light (even Day of Chaos despite its size - it is a wonderful story that deserves to be read in its entirety but isn't difficult to follow) so you can usually pick up the tread of what is going on pretty easily (if not to Wikipedia with you). Have a look at the Forbidden Planet prog pledge reviews for someone who recently did just that:

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/tag/2012-2000ad-pledge/

That'll also act as an incentive to go and pick up the back progs later on to start catching up.

* Are we still talking about Roger's mom?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

W. R. Logan

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 26 June, 2012, 11:56:33 PM
Both.
There's a choice of up front for the year of monthly direct debit.

Just looked at the 2000 site and there's only the annual option.