Main Menu

LESSER HEARD OR FAMILY SAYINGS...

Started by zombemybabynow, 26 April, 2013, 02:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

One from Mrs Albion's Mum.....
"There's enough blue sky to make a Dutchman's trousers".
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

TordelBack

That's a good 'un!

Due to various confusions while our kids were learning to talk proper like, it is now de rigeur to refer to testicles as 'knuckles' and nipples as 'nickels'.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 April, 2013, 04:48:08 PM
I was actually quite fascinated** in watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer year later where Spike (an English vampire character) actually says something like "No need to get shirty". I don't think I'd heard that word outside my own household so seeing it's more widely used than I'd thought was interesting.

I've read/heard 'shirty' used loads of times. Can't recall any precise instances, but seems like the sort of thing that'd crop up in old UK humour comics.

I think 'ariated' is known outside my family too, although it's something I think we're more likely to see in a Dicken's novel than in 20th century parlance. I think it might have something to do with blustering and 'giving off hot air' in which case maybe the spelling should be 'airiated'. Spell-checker doesn't like either of these varied spellings. Heh.

Definitely heard that word used too, although the internet insists it doesn't exist, (despite a couple of British folk using it in exactly the same context on forums). Closest modern word seems to be 'aerate'.

*I think the word might have originally been 'alight' although it still doesn't make sense.

It's two words, 'strike a light', as in striking a match.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteBlimey, I was always led to believe pookas were rabbits.
I remember Robert Anton Wilson saying as much in one of his highly entertaining talks about everything and nothing.  But I always thought pookas were horse-like ghosts that live in water.

Anyway...
'See that for skill-of-an-ape!' :  Used for demanding attention after performing a skillful feat.  Used by my brother and me since we were little.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

WhitBloke

Does the penny roll uphill?
Often trotted out when money was tight and one of us kids wanted whatever latest extravagance we'd seen in the shops.  Or on telly.  Or being played with or worn by other kids.  Or advertised in, oh, say, a comic...
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Jim_Campbell

She also used to use words like 'ariated' for agitated - possibly misspelt, my spell-checker certainly doesn't like it - and 'shirty'. As in "dontchoo get shirty/ariated with me!"

"Ariated/airiated" is one I'm familiar with although — now you mention it — I've never seen it written and so am uncertain of the spelling. I've always used it in the sense of becoming flustered/vexed/heated in the course of a discussion. Shirty was also very common in our household and has never resulted in odd looks when I've used it in company, so I assume it's generally common round these parts.

Quote from: JamesCOne of my favourites is 'put the wood in the hole' meaning to shut the door.

Yup. We had that one in our house, too.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Both airiated and shirty make me think instantly of Victoria Wood. I think perhaps they're phrases used by her characters - they certainly sound like the sort of thing anyway.

Dandontdare

"we're short of 'nowt we've got" - one of my dad's that makes no sense whatsoever.

Bat King

"Put wood in t'hole" or "Was't tha born in a barn?" mean same things in my family.

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Sideshow Bob

" You make a better door than a window"..
Usually said sarcastically, when you obscure someones view, when they are watching TV...
ie FFS !!, get oot the road !!, You make a better door than a window !!
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Sideshow Bob

Usually directed at me, ( in good humour ) as I'm fairly tall and slim.. :)

" you're built like a racing snake "
" you're about 3 lbs heavier than a ghost "
" you're built like the gable end of a pound note "
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

TordelBack

Quote from: Bat King on 28 April, 2013, 05:17:30 PM
"Put wood in t'hole" or "Was't tha born in a barn?" mean same things in my family.

You can see how sheep shagging starts.

Albion

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 28 April, 2013, 08:45:31 PM
" you're built like a racing snake "
My Dad used to say that to me.  :D

Another one from Mrs Albion's Mum.....
On asking her if she is OK she says, "Not so bad as when brushed with a comb".
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Sideshow Bob

Absolutely true story....
Overheard at my Works' canteen....Conversation between two serving ladies, talking about another 'more attractive' lady who worked there...
" what a slapper, she is..if you put all the c**ks she's had,  end to end, you'd have a handrail to the moon ! "

The Doctor Alt 8

I am DEFINATLY pinching that expression....  :lol: