Main Menu

XBuying

Started by SamuelAWilkinson, 03 May, 2008, 10:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

My mind is weak, and it cannot hold. I'm thinking about buying one of them there 360s today just for GTA goodness. I'm somewhat confused by the whole Arcade/Pro/Elite business. Since I already do a lot of Wii/PC gaming, do I really need to buy one of the good ones? Does the Arcade version have anything hugely missing I may pander for later?

Advise me, hive mind, advise me!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

W. R. Logan

Another Saturday Prog, so its now outside to sit in the sun, drink a mug of tea, smoke a couple of fags and enjoy that weekend Thrill Power.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=1585" target="_blank">Prog 1585

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1585.jpg">

Pete Wells

Hey Fegbarr, I asked this questio for the exact same reason couple of weeks ago and it opened a right can of old rubarb!

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=message

SamuelAWilkinson

So you did. Cheers, Pete!

Funt Solo

Beware!

I speak of the Red Rings of Death.

I bought my 360 a couple of weeks ago from new-Virgin (whatever it's called now - "vimto" or "quimto" or "zizzo" or "jizzo" or something), got home all excited and with my arms twice their normal length, plugged it all in and "Hey Shitto!"

That's like "hey presto" except shit, btw.

I had the RRD (Red Rings of Death) straight out of the box.  Well, they don't call me Sherlock Holmes for nothing (or at all, even) - but it didn't take me long (about a week) to figure out that one of the peons in the shop must have swapped out an old RRD'd machine for a brand new one, not caring that Punter X (that's me) would end up having a "Hey Shitto!" experience later on in time.

So - aye - make sure it's a new one, that the seals on the box are all intact - and, if not, that the components inside are all still bagged and taped.

---

All's well that ends well - I took it back and got my money back (because by that point I didn't trust the minions at wankki further than I could throw them - which was quite far now because my arms had by this time tripled in length).

---

The really boring part: I then carried out an impromptu consumer test by walking into all the high street stores that sell 360's, £200 in hand, trying to get them all to match the deal being offered by wankki - by dropping about 10-15 quid off their asking price, or by swapping out one game for another.  Game said no ("but you can have a skanky used one that's probably 5 seconds away from RRD syndrome").  HMV said no ("our prices are set by the great overlord and we hold no individual power"). Gamestation said no ("because if wankki have none in stock, then we won't match their price").  Finally, Currys saw the sense of taking 200 quid off a consumer in shaky economical times.

I know it's a boring story - but why is it so difficult to give my money to shops in the UK?  No wonder our economy is fucked up.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

SamuelAWilkinson

I did check the seals when buying, cunning swine that I was, though I had a similar experience with Gamestation insisting that Microsoft wouldn't let them sell me a new one without also dumping loads of unsaleable crap on me in a package deal, despite having a sign on the counter just next to where I was leaning indicating otherwise. Eventually, a manager got involved and saw sense, though he did ID me 'cause I was buying GTA, just be vindictive.

Richmond Clements

I have an xbox question!

I have been furnished with cash for my upcoming birthday, and have been ordered to spend it on present type things.
I was looking at a wireless adapter for the 306, but have a couple of questions.
Does it connect through the USB?
And if so- does that mean I'll hvae to get a wireless controller so I can use it?

radiator

I think there's a USB on the back of the 360.

Richmond Clements

Yeah, but what I mean is, I'm using the USB for the controller, and if the wireless network deally needs it, then I'll need awireless controller too, right?

Pyroxian

The 360 has 3 USB sockets, 2 on the front, and one on the back. Wireless controllers don't need those (apart from the recharging kit which MS fleece you extra for). I'm not sure if Wireless Broadband adapter needs the rear USB socket though.

Richmond Clements

2 on the front?
Y'know, I didn't know that!

Bloody hell...!

Dark Jimbo

Never mind all this X-box tomfoolery, I want to know what Logan thought of his prog!
@jamesfeistdraws

[Carl]

I was told by a member of staff in Game that Microsoft was very lucky to be allowed to have GTA4 on the Xbox. This was as the game pushes the Xbox to its limits apparently, something to do with constantly reading from the disc, etc. They were expecting to get heaps more of them back with the RRD problem. I haven't got any consoles, so couldn't give a stuff about them, but I think that a PS3 might be a better buy for GTA4.

Radbacker

yeah PS3 version will be better if you dont mind having to Download several gigs patch to get it running smoothly and if you dont want the exclusive content.  Cant say I've had a problem with my 360 version aside from the fact its boring (dont get me wrong I did enjoy it for 10 or so hours it just all got a bit meh towards the end).

Cu Radbacker