Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 25 May, 2013, 10:05:49 PM
I already knew that and demand a different bit of trivia.

I got yer back, Bear.

Weezie Simonson, Jon Bogdanov, Mike Carlin and some other comics guys (but not friend-of-the-forum and major influence on the series John Byrne) all have non-speaking roles in one 1st Season episode. 

The Superboy rights situation meant Smallville characters like Lana Lang appeared under different names in the earlier seasons, but when rights reverted later in the run they were replaced by their 'proper' comics versions.

And I only just got the pun in the title. 

Dandontdare

TordelBack

Lois & Clark = Lewis & Clark

I know, I'm a moron.  I even had a (horrible) job doing the maps for a Lewis & Clark Expedition project once.

Dandontdare

Ah - I've just had to Google 'Lewis & Clark', so I would never have got that!

ChickenStu

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 25 May, 2013, 10:05:49 PM
I already knew that and demand a different bit of trivia.

OK. I got this for ya: The show was the first live action incarnation of the character that was based on John Byrne's Superman: The Man Of Steel post crisis 1986 comic book reboot. This is why Lex Luthor was a multi billionaire businessman, and why Clark Kent's human Dad Jonathan Kent was still alive.

Those things confused the shit out of older viewers who weren't aware it had been restarted in 86.

It was also the first time we saw the characters Cat Grant and Metallo on screen in live action Superman:geek:
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Link Prime

Lois & Clark aired during my pubescent years, so my only lasting memory of it was that I was always very happy with the amount of eye candy on view from main stars Teri Hatcher & Tracey Scoggins, to guest stars like Jessica Collins, Denise Richards, and even MILFs (now GILFs) like Racquel Welch & Michelle Philipps.

I'd say the casting director enjoyed his tenure on that show.

Sideshow Bob

I remember watching that myself,  and thoroughly 'enjoying' it...

And I would say that most lads everywhere, enjoyed that particular Casting Directors' tenure on the show.................Mmnnnn ......Teri Hatcher.....Wow....
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

radiator

We've just watched the first two eps of the Netflix Arrested Development, and its doing absolutely nothing for me.

Dense and head-spinningly fast-paced, with hardly a joke in sight. Oh dear.

Buttonman

I'm enjoying the Arrested Development reboot! - seen 9 of 15 episodes today and I'd say it was up to standard - which is a good thing!

Lots of it is self reverential with 'I blued myself', 'I made a huge mistake' and 'Mister F' all geting an airing but there is still some development with Ron Howard getting a bigger role as is Isla Fisher - yum yum!

I appreciate it's not all laugh out loud funny but the Tobias and Gob episodes were near classics - and that's only on the first viewing.

Have you seen the show before Radiator? You're always going to get hop ons, as they say.

radiator

Ill play along and answer your question even though it seems deliberately constructed to let you use your 'hop ons' quote. Yes, big fan - especially seasons 1&2 - 3 was a little patchy, but at least it had, y'know, jokes in it.

I'll watch another episode or two, but if it doesn't drastically improve - and I very much suspect it won't - i'll be shelving it.

von Boom

Watched the first two episodes of Arrested Development last evening and while it's not bad, it's not as funny as the original series so far. I'll watch a few more today and see how they go.

pauljholden

Just finished watching the entire new series of Arrested Development. Felt slow to start, like it was a little rusty, but by the end of it it's like you've watched Doc Manhattan's clock inspired Martian building being formed around you - it's kind of amazing.

I can see why they didn't want reviewers to judge it on the first few episodes, much of the gags are set up but don't play off for as many as 10 episodes later (and there's loads which is upended and looped back and changes entirely by the end of the entire run)

I read somewhere that the writer was pitching this as a series AND a movie - rather than a series with the hope for a movie. The last episode feels like the lead in to a whodunnit movie, the clues - I'm sure - are littered around the entire series.

shaolin_monkey

I watched maybe 6-7 episodes of AD last night, and my overall feeling was they were relying too much on the farcical nature of the interweaving story threads for the comedy, rather than the witty interchanges of yore.

Hawkmumbler

Currently watching The Two Ronnies series 2. Love me some Ronnies. Loving Done to Death. :lol:

I, Cosh

Couldn't really call it an addiction, but I've finally gotten around to watching the TV adaptation of Alan Garner's The Owl Service, which I bought a mere four years ago.

It's all over the place really. The plummy, staginess of it is to be expected given its vintage but there are bigger problems with the pacing. Simultaneously stretching some things out too long and repetitively while leaving other plot strands underplayed to such a degree as to be incomprehensible until the voiceover intro of the next episode. The book is certainly enigmatic but at least explains enough of the circumstance to leave you baffled by what you're told rather than what you're not. Most frustratingly, every so often, it manages to hit something exactly right: an image, an effectively freaky sequence or just a scene that really allows the characters to express themselves or their relationships.

Shamefully, I fear it's Gillian Hills as Alison that keeps me watching. She's like a sixties Karen Gillan with better hair. Don't worry though, I checked and she was a good bit older than her character at the time.
We never really die.