Started by adogg4629, 26 September, 2012, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Cursed Earth Dweller

I know, my fuck up. Sometimes I can't tell when someones being sarcastic.

And I would agree that the age certificate here in Holland is a little irresponsible as it gives noisy little pre-teen shitheads an excuse to sit through good films, adult or not.

adogg4629

QuoteI knew from Dredd's opening monologue that we were getting the movie we have all been waiting for, but when Dredd wasted his first perp with the awesomely delivered line "go right ahead, hot-shot!" my face transformed into a grin that I just couldn't wipe from my face throughout the rest of the film and only intensified whenever I heard words like "meat wagon", "recyk" and "high-ex".

Couldn't agree more.  I still get that grin when I think about it.

Aaron

Cursed Earth Dweller

DW2012

One of my favourite 'Mega City One Madness Moments' in the film was the bit at the start when the 'fattie' who was shot by the 'hot-shot' guy was being wheeled away, the floor cleaner was mopping up the blood and a bored sounding announcement was mentioned that the food court would open again in 15 minutes.  Clearly in Mega City One random death is about as common as a food spill in a supermarket: "Clean up in aisle 5".

Cursed Earth Dweller

Since my account is not yet valid enough for me to post in the film discussion forum, I would like to adress a minor criticism I keep reading about in one of the review threads, that being that Dredd lacks any standout action sequences.

I think that is a load of shit. Putting some mindless action scene in Dredd would only imply that the film is trying to make up for plot substance and characterization, two things Dredd hardly suffers from and quite frankly if a high powered gattling gun tearing a whole block floor apart along with it's denizens is not action enough for you then your probably better off watching the latest Expendables flick. Because lets face it, all we really wan't to see from Dredd is him wasting a bunch of perps and that is exactly what we got. I think the action scenes in Dredd were good enough and if anything the film is treating it's intended demographic with respect by not including pointlessly epic action sequences that do nothing but waset time that could have better gone to said plot substance and characterization for the sake of appealing to thick audiences.

That is all.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Bit quite in here, oh well.

Dredd oficially debuts in Holland today but this will be my third viewing after my two sneak peaks last weekend  :)

AlpineNewt

Quote from: DW2012 on 08 October, 2012, 08:34:56 PM
One of my favourite 'Mega City One Madness Moments' in the film was the bit at the start when the 'fattie' who was shot by the 'hot-shot' guy was being wheeled away, the floor cleaner was mopping up the blood and a bored sounding announcement was mentioned that the food court would open again in 15 minutes.  Clearly in Mega City One random death is about as common as a food spill in a supermarket: "Clean up in aisle 5".

Despite keeping an eye out for the fattie I managed to completely miss him (assuming it was a him). Loads of other stuff I had read about but failed to spot. Couldn't afford to see it twice so I'll just have to wait for the DVD.

Mabs

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 11 October, 2012, 07:54:11 AM
Bit quite in here, oh well.

Dredd oficially debuts in Holland today but this will be my third viewing after my two sneak peaks last weekend  :)

I feel envious of you now! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cursed Earth Dweller

lol Thats not all, I'm checking it out again tomorrow with a mate and again on Sunday with my old man! That will be 5 times in total and I don't think I'll stop there.

This film honestly gets better every time I see it. Not just as the perfect Dredd film but a film that harkens back to the days of Die Hard and Assault on Presinct 13. And why stop there! Theres a bit of Blade Runner, Dirty Harry and even a bit of Natural Born Killers in this film. It's just nice to have a good flick that is so reminiscent of such classic films yet remains fresh without being buried in typical hollywood clichés.

Mabs

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 12 October, 2012, 10:39:44 PM
lol Thats not all, I'm checking it out again tomorrow with a mate and again on Sunday with my old man! That will be 5 times in total and I don't think I'll stop there.

This film honestly gets better every time I see it. Not just as the perfect Dredd film but a film that harkens back to the days of Die Hard and Assault on Presinct 13. And why stop there! Theres a bit of Blade Runner, Dirty Harry and even a bit of Natural Born Killers in this film. It's just nice to have a good flick that is so reminiscent of such classic films yet remains fresh without being buried in typical hollywood clichés.

I agree; there's a lot of film's which spring to mind when viewing Dredd! The first films which entered my head were Total Recall and Robocop! It brought me back to the 80's and early 90's - and I had a full blast nostalgia fest of all the violent action films I loved watching as a boy! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Rusty

One of the things, often criticism, I've read people saying about Dredd is that it has no plot. I find this ridiculous in the extreme. It has a plot. It's just that the plot isn't a convoluted frenzy that can either bore you to fucking death, or confuse you to death. People just seem to be infatuated with films that try to be winning the Oscar these days rather than enjoying the simple things for what they are, and it's often the more simple things are, the more enjoyable they tend to be. However, in saying that, Taken 2 is by far one of the most simple plots you'll likely to come across, although how you can manage to fuck something up so bad with it being so simple is beyond me, and is a testament to the film's awfulness. I also find it curios that the same people who are critical of Dredd's so called lack of plot, don't say the same for Taken and point out how they enjoyed it, and there are a lot of those people around judging by the figures of that steaming turd. How a film as good as Dredd bombed while that shit rakes it in is beyond me, and it does nothing but confirm that the general public are a bunch of fucking morons. No doubt when Dredd hits DVD and becomes a cult classic, you'll get the same people coming out of the woodwork professing how cool Dredd is and that you must see it! Twats!

Cursed Earth Dweller

People like to judge movie plots by how they look on paper without even seeing the bloody film. A plots strength lies in it's execution, not weather it looks good on paper or not. In Dredd's case the simple plot is merely a backround for the audience(if they can be bothered) to study how Dredd does his job and how Anderson developes into a Judge while retaining her humanity.

Whatever crtitism of Dredd I have come across has been few and far between and it's mostly if not all of the ignorant cretinouse nature.

And quite frankly, I can care less if Dredd bombs or not. The critical praise for me is enough to wash the stain of the 95 film and I am more then content with having Dredd the best cult classic we've seen since Sin City(in terms of comic flicks that is).

MrHorizontal

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 07 October, 2012, 02:58:40 AM
2) When Judge Lex [spoiler]has Dredd cornered and Dredd baits him into stalling time long enough for Anderson to sneak up at shoot him[/spoiler], that bit soooo reminded me of "When you wan't to shoot, shoot! Don't talk" from The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

There is a little continuity flaw with the [spoiler]wait[/spoiler] sequence - how did Dredd know [spoiler]to delay[/spoiler] Lex? Did [spoiler]Anderson 'mind ping' Dredd to tell him she'd broken free[/spoiler] and was coming down or did Dredd just [spoiler]expect her[/spoiler] to provide backup?

My bet (and hope) is on the former, as it makes it deliciously tactical.

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 07 October, 2012, 02:58:40 AMMa Ma playing in the bath

Agreed. Beautiful too. And also really balanced the film's violence and relentlessness with moments of calm to stop and reflect what's happening (especially for us fans!).

Generally, I found that Dredd's tone throughout the film being totally deadpan and not as I said earlier 'a ridiculous Bond-style climax to a set piece' benefits Dredd's portrayal that much better.

Quote from: Rusty on 13 October, 2012, 08:10:25 PMNo doubt when Dredd hits DVD and becomes a cult classic, you'll get the same people coming out of the woodwork professing how cool Dredd is and that you must see it!

I fully expect this to happen. The US and all bad critiques either still remember the travesty of Stallone Dredd and avoided this one like the plague as a result (I would've too if I didn't know better and wasn't a fan). Or they're a bunch of film ponces who are comparing it to The Raid which is a baseless argument as it's a completely different story and execution (I'm not a fan of blatant fight choreography, unless it looks like a real fight).

Nevertheless, I've been telling loads of people, both Dredd and non-Dredd fans alike to just go and bloody well watch it because it's truly excellent whether you are or aren't a Dredd fan. Slowly, but surely I think it'll be a sure-fire hit, but underground (or should I say Mega City) style... I just hope Alex & Co hits the $50m target so we get MORE!

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: MrHorizontal on 15 October, 2012, 04:31:56 PM
There is a little continuity flaw with the [spoiler]wait[/spoiler] sequence - how did Dredd know [spoiler]to delay[/spoiler] Lex? Did [spoiler]Anderson 'mind ping' Dredd to tell him she'd broken free[/spoiler] and was coming down or did Dredd just [spoiler]expect her[/spoiler] to provide backup?

My bet (and hope) is on the former, as it makes it deliciously tactical.

lol Aw come on man! Here I am enjoying the reference I made with the scene and you have to come over and tell me it's a plot-hole, thanks a lot.

Seriously though, things like that don't come to my mind when I'm enjoying a good film and even when they do I don't let them bother me that much. I'm just not the kind of person that puts too nuch faith in movie realism.

To answere your question though, I would go with the former as well since I believe that [spoiler]Anderson needs to be in close proximity to scan someones mind[/spoiler]

Quote from: MrHorizontalAgreed. Beautiful too. And also really balanced the film's violence and relentlessness with moments of calm to stop and reflect what's happening (especially for us fans!).

Have you ever seen a japanese flick called Zatoichi, by directer Takeshi Kitano? That film uses digitally rendered blood which makes all the violent swordplay look rather pretty, dare I say artistic and keep the film from being pointlessly gory. I think the 3D and slow-mo scenes work for Dredd the same way, although I geuss the violence in Dredd has a point to it in that it reflects how bleak and violent Mega City 1 is.

Quote from: MrHorizontalGenerally, I found that Dredd's tone throughout the film being totally deadpan and not as I said earlier 'a ridiculous Bond-style climax to a set piece' benefits Dredd's portrayal that much better.

Exactly, Dredd is one of those "less-is-more" films that deliveres on a practical scale rather then an overly epic scope of things like the 95 film.

This is also why I will probably consider Dredd a better film then the Raid when I get round to watching it eventually but quit frankly, the Raid strikes as a film that only delivers on an a level of none-stop action which is nice but a tad bit shallow. Have you seen in by the way?