Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I think the election offer from Labour was fine: "we'll get a better deal then give you the choice". There were two problems. The first was that, even by that point, Labour couldn't bring itself to say "single market membership", meaning that unless it was going for the mother of all fudges, it wouldn't have got much more than May. Secondly, it took fucking ages to get to that point—and by then not enough people really trusted Labour.

There were a couple of short periods far earlier in this process where Corbyn's Labour, had it not been unduly influenced by the likes of Len McCluskey, might have been able to "get Brexit done" by offering May a large bloc of votes. If nothing else, even this showcases that Labour's coalition is far more fragile and problematic than the Conservative one. It needs PR to split in two and then reform for government. But it fights against PR because it still labours under the misapprehension that there is a path to a majority Labour government.

Jim_Campbell

No argument from me about McCluskey. He badly needed to sit the fuck down, and shut the fuck up.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

He'd be more at home in the DUP than Labour. Loves the idea of an ultra-hard Brexit, but can't articulate why beyond FORRINERS STAELING YOUR JOBZ

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2020, 08:29:41 PM
He'd be more at home in the DUP than Labour. Loves the idea of an ultra-hard Brexit, but can't articulate why beyond FORRINERS STAELING YOUR JOBZ

See also: Kate Hooey. What the fuck was she ever doing in the bloody Labour Party in the first place...?

IndigoPrime

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Now we get to see the rank hypocrisy of the GoP in action, again, and how the Orange President can minimalise her sterling service and make it all about him. Fuck 2020.

shaolin_monkey

Aye, and there's a distinct worry that if he gets a replacement in ahead of the elections, and then disputes an ejection result that doesn't fall in his favour, it'll go to the SC (see Gore vs Bush) and the balance of power means he'll just walk into office again. Aside from everything she stood for, losing her right now is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the US re their election.

IndigoPrime

Current numbers are 53/47. Two GOP already said they won't confirm. 51/49. What's the betting one more finds a conscience (50/50) and so the deadlock is broken by Pence? Checks and balances!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 September, 2020, 10:53:52 AM
losing her right now is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the US re their election.

Remember, of course, that Mitch McConnell refused to allow Obama to appoint a Supreme Court seat because he was only a year away from an election. I'll bet cold hard cash that he won't apply the same precedent to Trump when he's two months away from an election.

IndigoPrime

He's already said he won't—has vowed to "move forward quickly". He's fucked if two more GOP find a conscience, but I suspect that's vanishingly unlikely to happen.

The Legendary Shark

A friend's 13yo daughter was barred entry into a fast food franchise unless she signed up to a contact tracing app earlier today.

"The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better."

O.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Mankind does nothing of consequence with its freedom.

JOE SOAP

I think good health is better.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

If you must insist on using a feckin fast food franchise as the yardstick of our freedom, I would counter that said teenager is free to take her business elsewhere. In fact, if the government stepped in and told this fast food franchise they weren't allowed to do what they liked on their own privately owned property? That would be a horrific restriction of freedom.
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Too many people confusing inconvenience and restricted choice with oppression

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 September, 2020, 06:11:23 PM
Too many people confusing inconvenience and restricted choice with oppression

I'm concerned about reactionary right-wing governments, like our own, using this whole Covid mess as a pretext for seizing more power, but at the same time we have to recognise that inconvenience is a small price to pay for keeping a potentially horrific death toll down.