Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

QuoteThe last movie though was the UK premiere of The Raid, which blew me away so much that I know I'll be annoyingly enthusing about it for years. During it I remembered how it felt to watch Hard Boiled as a kid and just have my mind blown, and I realized that I haven't actually felt that since. It's not that I haven't enjoyed a ton of action movies since then, I just haven't seen anything where I've felt like the way I look at action has completely changed in the space of a couple of hours. This is really astonishing, I can't praise it enough. It pulls off something that most movies can't by actually being the relentless wall to wall 90 minute fight that the trailer makes it out to be, it seriously never takes a breather for more than a couple of minutes. The movie got an incredible response too, people were cheering and yelling through the fight scenes and it got a lengthy standing ovation, I've never seen a cinema respond as intensely as that. Also, we met Iko from the movie, who as it turns out is a really sweet, friendly guy. It was quite surreal after watching him kill his way through a bazillion people.

I'm just going to gush continuously if I keep typing (which would be messy), so I'll just post the trailer here. Please, I urge everyone who likes action to go and see this, you'll lose your minds!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

Rather familiar plot on this one [spoiler](Cough Dredd cough[/spoiler]), cops raid a huge buiding, get stuck inside, wiped out and one super cop has to fight way to the top and take on a king pin of crime!  One of those film coincidences where two similar themed fims come out close together.
this does look arsom though.

CU Radbacker

Gonk

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 26 February, 2012, 01:27:01 PM
I said "failed", not "ex."You're the worst character ever, Towelie.

Thanks Roger, coming from a toe rag like you that's quite a compliment. :-\

I watched a really crap one, James Cameron's "Titanic". An overblown love story cum disaster movie, tarted up with stupidly expensive special effects. This was to pander to a modern audience who would most likely have been bored into nonexistence with yet another hackneyed retelling of the Titanic disaster. Di Caprio as usual couldn't act his way out of a paper bag and was about as convincing playing an Irish immigrant as a bank manager telling us he's sorry for taking his huge bonus.  It goes without saying the only thing that kept this movie afloat was the size of Kate Winslet's tits. I got so pissed off with this dreck I stopped watching it halfway through, so cannot tell you how the film ended.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Mardroid

Quote from: fonky on 26 February, 2012, 03:26:41 PM
I got so pissed off with this dreck I stopped watching it halfway through, so cannot tell you how the film ended.

I could even if I hadn't seen the ending.

[spoiler]It involves a giant lump of ice! It wasn't happy.[/spoiler]

Spikes

Last night i dusted off the DVD of 10 Rillington Place - A great film starring a very creepy Richard Attenborough as the real life killer John Christie, and also featuring a brilliant early performance by a fresh faced looking John Hurt.

Tiplodocus

Well it turns out LOVEFILM INSTANT streaming servive is pretty much the equivalent of going to a Video shop at 930 on a Friday night.  There's no good/recent films there at all. I don't doubt that I shall manage to get my £10 worth in the next six months though...

RED
Didn't realise this was based on a Warren Ellis comic.  It's pretty dumb action comedy movie stuff but has likeable performances and a couple of cracking set pieces (though front loaded). Willis has just morphed into a smirking Homer Simpson and Urban was very good. Kept holding my hand up to the screen to see what he'd look like as just a chin.

SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY
RIght enjoyed this. IIRC, it simplifies the DOOMDSAY and WORLD WITHOUT SUPERMAN stories down to teh bare minimum and has two epic slam downs in it. It's quite brutal for a cartoon as well - lots of heads being squelched and blood all over teh place - it's there for a reason though.  Anne Heche is good as Lois, Adam Baldwin less so as Supes (and what was going on with the lines in Supes' face?) but the action is good, the bad Superman suitably evil and all in an hour and twent well spent.  Have to quiblle with the ending though - [spoiler]I don't doubt that Supes had no choice but to kill Doomsday but to kill the clone as well? [/spoiler] That seemed way off.

TRON
Enjoyable and the design is still outstanding. It's probably twenty years since I last saw it and I'd forgotten how the tone is all over the place. Slapstick and sneaking and cheese mixed up with cruel deaths etc. Tiny Tips thought it was good so we'll track down LEGACY next.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Gonk

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 February, 2012, 03:56:39 PM
I got so pissed off with this dreck I stopped watching it halfway through, so cannot tell you how the film ended.

I could even if I hadn't seen the ending.

[spoiler]It involves a giant lump of ice! It wasn't happy.[/spoiler]

So they didn't manage to make it to the life raft? Kate wouldn't need a lifebelt with her gozonkers keeping her afloat.

Richmond Clements

Quoteyet another hackneyed retelling of the Titanic disaster

Yeah, they're fairly churning those Titanic movies out. It's been only, what, 15 years since the last one.

Gonk

Pah! All the usual cliches are there in the film.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: fonky on 26 February, 2012, 06:18:40 PM
Pah! All the usual cliches are there in the film.

Iceberg... sinking ship... I see what you mean!

(PS, I kind of agree with you, but I have a soft spot for that movie for some reason.)

TordelBack

These days my only real beef with Titanic, apart from that song, is that all the best bits are nicked virtually word-for-word from the far superior 1950's A Night to Remember - i.e. not from any historical source, but from another movie, which is a bit cheeky.  Jack's [spoiler]death scene[/spoiler] is silly, but all the set work on the ship is stonking, and I find the actual sinking sequence, especially the view of the lights flickering off from Molly Brown's lifeboat, to be quite affecting.  Not to forget that Rose's boobies are quite pleasant to gaze upon also.  Probably helps that I find diCaprio to be a pretty good actor, and Billy Zane a top villain. 

Spikes

It goes without saying the only thing that kept this movie afloat was the size of Kate Winslet's tits. I got so pissed off with this dreck I stopped watching it halfway through, so cannot tell you how the film ended.

Quote from: fonky on 26 February, 2012, 06:05:10 PM
So they didn't manage to make it to the life raft? Kate wouldn't need a lifebelt with her gozonkers keeping her afloat.

[spoiler]Leo dies but Kate makes it to dry land, not sure how to spoiler a photo, but hey.....[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

I like Jim Cameron movies. I don't get the hate, I really don't. He's making entertainment. His films are the equivalent of an airport novel. They're not great art, they just deliver a fun night out.
And I doubly love that nobody has learned to stop laughing at his crazy movie schemes... a movie about the Titanic? It cost how much??? A 3D movie in CG? It cost how much???
The man knows what people want to watch and he delivers it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 26 February, 2012, 06:57:31 PM
LOL @ "Billy Zane."

Ah now, he's a riot as a baddy, a proper sweaty bug-eyed moustache-twirler.

Emperor

Scary that the last unread post link (which seem a little unreliable at the moment) takes me to this:

Quote from: Van Dom on 16 February, 2012, 08:24:30 PM
Nude Nuns with Big Guns,
Yes its really called that. And its about as bad as you might imagine.
Does have plenty of nude nuns though. Not so much big guns.
(Am I the only one who watches these crazy films?)

No. I got this as one of my film recommendations the other day, along with Zombie Women of Satan, and realised I'd have to watch them both at some point. However, I'm a bit wary of such films at the moment because after Doghouse (and before that Lesbian Vampire Killers, Zombie Strippers and Sucker Punch), I fear that any more rampant misogyny might (and stupidity) might just tip me over the edge into a pit of misanthropy (or possibly misandry) that I might not emerge from again. So these might have to wait, although my disappointment at the lack of big guns might make me take this off the list.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+