Main Menu

Prog 2118 - Enemies of the State

Started by 73north, 09 February, 2019, 03:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73north

A Wonderful read today , Prog 2118 , and all the stories have been actually very good -
Dredd - the new Chief Judge Logan makes his mark - and it riles Dredd
Brink - wonderful - sadly the end of the present arc
Skip Tracer - actually pretty decent
Grey Area - very good first part of the new Story - well worth reading
Jaegir - as usual , for me , the best was saved till Last , Gordon Rennie
continues to write with excellence and knowledge of Military History ( loved the ' Stavka ' mention )
while Simon Coleby's art continues to be terrific - and adds to the stories enjoyment

overall - a damn good read ( 9/10 ) for me 

Richard

Dredd was the highlight for me. We knew Logan was going to be chief judge, but I did not see that coming.

IndigoPrime

gameluvah

Any word on what is taking Brinks place next prog?

broodblik

Accordingly to an article in Meg 404 about new creators a new 3riller will start in prog 2120. Thus most likely it will be either a Future Shock or a Terror Tale.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

A couple of things have had me scratching my head with regard to Logan; his obsession with stats and his history with the Dark Judges.  There is a part of me that is not completely surprised at his decision so I wonder where Wagner is going with this.  I mean, are we looking at the shortest tenure of a Chief Judge after Cal?

Andy Lambert

Quote from: gameluvah on 09 February, 2019, 05:42:25 PM
Any word on what is taking Brinks place next prog?

I was rather hoping it'd be Thistlebone...

Colin YNWA

Nice Proggae Tharg, nice Proggage. There's a useful shift from last time and rather than go in reading order I'll go bottom to top to see if we can find the difference.

So last weeks weakest strip was the 3riller and here its Skipperty. Now I actively didn't like the 3riller and Skippster just struggles to engage me and this weak felt particularly light but still didn't really offend. So that's a plus.

Last weeks 4th ranked was the afore mentioned Skipperty and this week Jaegir and here we see the biggest positive difference. See Skipesque is just muh which Jaegir is bloomin' good. Really enjoyed this and if the fourth ranked strip is this sharp you know you are in good shape.

The middle rank goes to Grey Area replacing last weeks excellent Jaegir. Both where superb openers and so this is the first time we see parity between this weeks and last. Love Jaegir last week love Grey Area his simple opening pulling you in and placing the conflicit we about to the enter front and centre, bringing me back up to speed and engaging me straight away. Wonderful.

So the top two and this of course is where the ability to compare falls apart as both as soooo good BUT I can say both improve, though you'd have doubted that was possible. Dredd - well we may have been spoiled by the Thrillmail BUT I think it was a bluff, showing us what we thought was the episode's play but really was an incredible slight of hand as Wagner had an even bigger play to hit us with. Ohhh that John Wagner he's such a trickster... such a genius trickster. Bloomin' heck I did not see that coming but man it was handled quite brilliantly! Just genius.

Speaking of genius thrill of the week has to be Brink right if only to celebrate the fact that it ends and while Dabnett seemed to suggest that Brink would be finished with this book the end, which provides so much oversight, yet does so in the typically engaging and lowkey way, surely sets up more to come? The end was just so satisfying. The series has been gen ius beginning to end and can't wait to see what happened next.

This and a Thrills of the Future promising us more Warren Pleece call me a happy bunny. Two stone wall classics, two great thrill and one muh in a Prog is a decent return it say the least in my book!

Geoff

The excellent Brink just got even better.  How is this possible!? Well it's just brilliant story-telling and Brink is fast becoming an actual 2000ad classic.  Not just a modern classic but a classic, full stop.

As with many other readers...I did not expect that, Chief Judge Logan!! Dredd is hotting up, wish Wagner was writing more Dredd, come back more often John you are sorely missed.. 

Jaegir is good stuff too, with superb art.

Gray Area, mmmn. I don't know when it happend, but at some point I stopped recognising who was who and understanding what was going on... Used to quite like it, enough to read it anyway. Unlike Skip Tracer which I did try and stick with but have now given up on.

Sinx

Now that is a science fiction comic cover. Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague are just a great team.

Fungus

Quote from: Sinx on 10 February, 2019, 10:15:14 PM
Now that is a science fiction comic cover. Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague are just a great team.
Exactly - that is scrummy.

wedgeski

What a prog! It might be Brink's last episode for a while (boo! please not as long a wait this time Tharg), but the confluence of Brink, Wagner Dredd, Jaegir, and Grey Area makes this a red-hot line-up.

CalHab

Dredd escalates quickly. From being fairly ambivalent about the robot judges storyline, I'm now very curious to see how this goes.

Brink wraps things up nicely. It's been said before, but this is one of Tharg's best ever.

Simon Coleby is clearly having a blast over on Jaegir. Long may it continue.

Skip Tracer continues. This is a perfectly adequate episode, undermined by the fact that I don't care about the lead or his mission. In contrast to Grey Area, which again is a decent episode, but has tension because I care about the characters.

I, Cosh

What can you say? Dredd and Brink utterly outstanding. Dread, Hershey and their differences dwarfed by MacNeil's vision of MegaCity One. Culbard's facial expressions and body language make five pages of delusional ramblings utterly electrifying and fraught with potential.

other stuff decent.
We never really die.