Main Menu

Prog 2120 - Tankbuster!

Started by Richard, 23 February, 2019, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 February, 2019, 02:28:13 PM

Wagner + MacNeil + Dredd = perfection. 'nuff said. The Dredd and Hershey conversation was very touching.

I actually found myself tearing up reading that exchange! 😢

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

norton canes

Yeah, it's emotionally charged stuff. I wonder if there's any of John Wagner's last exchanges with Carlos Ezquerra in there. Heartbreaking.

Again, it's a rollicking good prog (I think that's the first time I've described an issue of 2000 AD as 'rollicking') throughout. I get the point about the C5's actions being a bit sudden but as has been mentioned upthread, I guess Wagner didn't want to hold up the main narrative any. (Love the numeronym 'C5' by the way. Hey, another new word!)

Skip Tracer works better when the action is cranked up so this installment is a better read. I should say, that with all the questions people are posing about the scripts, Paul Marshall is doing an absolutely stunning job on art duties. The strip isn't always the most satisfying read and if it wasn't for the Marshall/Teague combo I think i'd be giving it a whole lot less attention.

Grey Area perhaps just pips Dredd for TOP THRILL this week, Dan Abnett bringing some of his SinDex comedy skills to the fore and Mark Harrison making his detailed style more dense now we're in the heart of the EI zone.

The 3riller is enjoyably stripped-back, which is a relief after some of the recent ones have tried to cram too much into their short runs. After that first page I did think 'Tooth and Nail' might refer to some of the torture methods that could be used... we'll see!

Jaegir continues to provide top-notch thrills, Gordon Rennie proving he's a match for John Wagner when it comes to skillfully incorporating large chunks of dialogue into action scenes. I have to say, though, that my criticisms of last week's cover pretty much apply to this week too. It's decent enough, but, it's Simon Coleby's strip, and I want to see more of Simon Coleby's art. His cover for In the Realm Of Pyrrhus was voted one of the best of the year and it's a real shame we're not treated to another (coincidentally he almost replicates that cover on page four of this prog's installment).

Richard

I think Indigo Prime hit the nail on the head here. Also, putting a robot on the C5 is an incredibly provocative act. It's not surprising people are overreacting. Maybe they aren't.

I did wonder why they didn't just remove Logan lawfully using the recall process, like they did to Hershey in the Tour of Duty build-up. But maybe it's not allowed during a new chief's first 12 months or something.

Tomwe

What's the deal with the female Judge who grabbed Beany. Seemed rather tall/big? Is Beany just small?

Tiplodocus

Another cracking prog. Not much to add to the above.

We are being spoilt by The Mighty One's zarjaz organ.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richard

The name is Beeny. I can't see why she should be that small, unless someone forgot that she's not a child any more. She was about 13 in Cadet, but she's an adult now. But maybe she's not small, maybe that other judge is just huge.

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 28 February, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
I get the point about the C5's actions being a bit sudden but as has been mentioned upthread, I guess Wagner didn't want to hold up the main narrative any. (Love the numeronym 'C5' by the way. Hey, another new word!)

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 01 March, 2019, 12:35:23 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 28 February, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
I get the point about the C5's actions being a bit sudden but as has been mentioned upthread, I guess Wagner didn't want to hold up the main narrative any. (Love the numeronym 'C5' by the way. Hey, another new word!)

:lol:

Tomwe

Quote from: Richard on 01 March, 2019, 12:34:32 AM
The name is Beeny. I can't see why she should be that small, unless someone forgot that she's not a child any more. She was about 13 in Cadet, but she's an adult now. But maybe she's not small, maybe that other judge is just huge.
Sorry, thanks for the spelling correction.

Link Prime

Quote from: Richard on 01 March, 2019, 12:34:32 AM
But maybe she's not small, maybe that other judge is just huge.

Yeah, ya gotta reckon the MacNeil Droid knows a thing or two about drawing Beansie.

Link Prime

DrJomster

Just read the last two progs back to back... not bad, not bad at all.*

*This is understated English person speak for BLOOMING AMAZING, just so we're clear. Especially, Dredd, Jaegir and Grey Area. Oh. My. Word.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.