Main Menu

Prog 2118 - Enemies of the State

Started by 73north, 09 February, 2019, 03:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Cover – nice work (from the man that certainly done the greatest number of covers)

Dredd – interesting turn of events by wow what a great page 2 (the view of the city). Wagner knows how to tell a Dredd story.

Brink – this was again a great episode and hopefully we do not need to wait to long for the next chapter.

Skip Tracer – this is one of those stories that I find enjoyable but not one that I will rate as a top contender

Grey Area – good first episode set the tone for the rest of the story

Jaegir- love Colbeys awesome art and my current favourite. Good all-out action episode

Overall this was one good prog the best of the year

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trout

That Dredd story is so good it made me say "oh fuck" out loud.

I'll miss Brink. Standout story of the last year for me.

I now enjoy Jaegir at least as much as I ever enjoyed Rogue Trooper.

The other strips don't float my boat but it doesn't matter in an anthology with three strong stories.

- Trout

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Trout on 13 February, 2019, 05:07:54 AM
That Dredd story is so good it made me say "oh fuck" out loud.

- Trout

Haha - I said "Oh you DICK!" as I read about the councill of 5!

he should know better
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Tiplodocus

It's a masterful reveal in Dredd. Makes perfect sense but still unexpected.

BRINK, Jaegir, Grey Area and Skip Tracer all work for me as well; ranging from "Awesome I can't believe another Book is finished" to "That's a solid old school thrill with great art but is just lacking a character or stakes to latch onto" respectively.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Just done something I can't remember doing for years and reread this Dredd story from the start while it's still running. Sublime stuff.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Seems like Harvey's story is another mini-epic in the making to test Dredd's beliefs that just crept up from behind, and as ever, it's playing out brilliantly.

Interesting side detail for me is that the story of Fargo's missing body, and his subsequent return, is public knowledge.

wedgeski

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2019, 01:48:01 PM
Seems like Harvey's story is another mini-epic in the making to test Dredd's beliefs that just crept up from behind, and as ever, it's playing out brilliantly.
It seems likely to me that Harvey will have his own strip soon -- assuming he survives this one.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wedgeski on 13 February, 2019, 01:55:10 PM
It seems likely to me that Harvey will have his own strip soon -- assuming he survives this one.

Or raher Judge Hershey's World Tour of Duty.

broodblik

Hersey might be back sooner than we might spell Harvey
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2019, 02:26:31 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 13 February, 2019, 01:55:10 PM

Or raher Judge Hershey's World Tour of Duty.
Oh yeah, that too!

I'm in for both, tbh.

Tiplodocus

If it's anything like these last 4 episodes, I'd love to see this lead into a Third Robot War.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Leigh S

That's the beauty of Wagner isnt it?  He can concoct a twist that in retrospect seems so obvious, but still makes you spit out your tea!

Brink is fab, but not sure if/how the "Lets go look at Mercury" works - surely someone else might have already had that idea? Mariam Junot is said to be in protective custody, so not sure what she can do, and other than that connection, what leverage would they have to be involved in any Mercury trip?  Of course the point here is that I am engaged in this enough to wonder where it will go because it is ace.

Grey Area has never really grabbed me - possibly because I struggle with who is how - the art has either had very similar looking people with Richardson or hard to pin down looking peolpe with Harrison, so maybe that hasnt helped.

Jaegir is perfectly seviceable, but I find it a bit dull - like if Dredd was always a humourless procedural - Nu Earth should be more "out there" than that - I found it a bit odd how the recent competition was mostly pics of Rogue, but the most interesting things about the strip were the Bio-Wire, Atmocraft, Sun Legion, Blackmares, Decapitators etc.

Over on the Thrill cast James Peaty says all the right things about what 2000AD strips should be, but I can't detect much of that in Skip Tracer, which feels one step less inventuive than "Beyond Zero" - Don't get me wrong, Beyond Zero was pretty inoffensive (and about when Peaty began reading the progs, though I'm trying to not read anything into that) - so is Skip Tracer, but 2000AD should be off the wall mental high concept and above all feel original and fun and I'd rather see a brave fail than playing safe from Tharg

Dandontdare

maybe Harvey will negotiate an "every empire falls" style deal with the meka-revolutionary state of Guatamala?

broodblik

I cannot remember the last time I was so excited to read Dredd. Since "The Small House" and now with "Machine Law" it feels like Dredd is the king of the hill again.  Not only are we treated to some top storytelling but some real sublime art to go with the story.

norton canes

Epic stuff from cover to cover, not much more to add really.