Main Menu

Battlefield 3 Open Beta starts today 29/9

Started by Radbacker, 29 September, 2011, 04:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

One level, full multiplayer demo/open beta.  The Paris map.  More details when i get home tonight and start playing, my housemate is under instructions to download today.  Look for GrimDarksock or BushNinja101 (my Live name). Might have to also get this on the PC to fully appreciate the 64 player battles as restricted on consoles to 24 (damn Xbox Live, i bet the PS3 version could go the bigger battles if they wanted to).
comes out 28/10 the day before my Birthday whoo!  our poxy state goverment has shifted the traditional Queens Birthday holiday (would've been 3/10) to Friday 28/10. Our shops dont open on Public Holidays!!!! F U governement.
how good does this look, how many god damn tanks, choppers, apc's and Jets are on this map!!!  looks like a full on war. (this isn't the map released for Demo they're doing the Paris Map which runs from through the streets to the underground railway to t an open square.)
Caspian Boarder Gameplay video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

CU Radbacker

davethomson

Looking forward to this too! If only I didn't have a deadline looming I could get started on it tonight. :(
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Radbacker

grud damn it, its not available till 8.00pm(west australian time) tonight, bet thats because they dont want us to get a head start on the yanks.

I feel for you man, no deadlines for me but work tomorow morning but i can always survive the grind on 4 or 5 hours sleep.

CU Radbacker

Goaty

Been play it for brief last night, it was on PSN Store Demo area. It's not bad but not very thrilling as you kept get headshoot in unfamiliar area!

judge cooper

it looks amazing i wonder if people will prefer this to cod
NAZI ZOMBIES!!!YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRGH

Rog69

I've been playing the beta for the last couple of days and so far it's done more to annoy me than entertain me.

I hate how the PC version needs an extra app running (Origin) to download and launch the game and then on top of that it needs my web browser and a plug-in to connect to games, FFS what's wrong with keeping everything self contained within the game itself! I don't so much mind download services such a Steam when they also give you other benefits but crapware like Origin and GFWL just seem to exist for the sake of existing.

My other niggle is that to change any options ie graphics settings and key bindings etc you actually have to be connected to a server and be in game and actually spawned on the battlefield to be able to bring the options menu up, how retarded is that!
In addition to that, key bindings are really messed up, there are some options you can't change and it's not possible to bind to extra mouse buttons. I appreciate that this is a beta but the game ships in a couple of weeks and these are pretty fundamental things that should be working, even by Dice's standards.

I am impressed with how well the game runs on my ageing system and I like how the movement feels a lot more fluid compared to BC2 and the hit registration is much improved too.

It's a shame they decided to release the map and mode that they did for the beta, it doesn't really offer anything different to BC2 in terms of gameplay so I can't think of a compelling reason to buy the game based on what I've played so far.

I'll probably take another look at it later on when it's had a bit of patching done and I've read some trusted reviews but for now the pre-order is cancelled.

Radbacker

the console beta shipped with low res textures to keep the download minimum so it doesn't look like the finished product will and i'd agree the map they shipped is rather dull, still it is the beta and not the finished game and i appreciate the chance to get a sneak peak at the leveling system etc.  Shame they didn;t go qwith a bigger mapo that had jets and some new stuff on it but its only a few weeks till its out .  I really do like the new classes and they've really made the LMG's feel like LMG's (Bi-pods) not just big assault rifles.  MW3 what MW3.

CU Radbacker

Darren Stephens

Although I'm enjoying it, I have experiance a huge amount of bugs. I know most will get ironed out after Beta so I'm still really looking forward to it. This happened earlier today, heh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZXl_PAwrA

Also saw this funny glitch vid on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3zESmcqwA&feature=youtu.be

Haha, all good fun!  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Radbacker

man that worm crawly glitch is one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen, like something out of THE THING.
Still enjoying it when i canb get it to go, always end up on mega-lag games, guess thats why its a Beta.

CU Radbacker

Moggot Lover

The low rez on the 360 looks rough but it feels like battlefield game so fingers crossed they will release the full res soon....
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Keef Monkey

Jumped into a match and it just felt like CoD to me. I don't like CoD much so am thinking this probably isn't for me, I know folks who swear by Battlefield though so maybe I need to give it more time.

Rog69

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 03 October, 2011, 06:25:12 PM
Jumped into a match and it just felt like CoD to me. I don't like CoD much so am thinking this probably isn't for me, I know folks who swear by Battlefield though so maybe I need to give it more time.

I think that's a big problem with the demo/beta, the chosen level really isn't all that battlefieldy.

They should have gone with a bigger map with vehicles and in conquest mode to really give us a feel of how the final game will play.

Gothmog

They had a password protected Caspian Border map up last week which was much larger than Metro, had vehicles and seemed to be heralded as the true essence of Battlefield across message boards.  One complaint that kept cropping up was that the map is practically useless because you don't see a wide enough area to figure out your position relative to the full map or identify/track objectives that aren't in your vicinity.

Unfortunately even though people were leaking the passwords I never managed to find a server with a free spot so didn't get to try it myself.  Plenty of videos on Youtube though.

Moggot Lover

once its released I hope they bring out 2142 mk2 :)
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

auxlen

i still play bf2 and it is to date the most played game of my life. i was super excited about bf3 but as i am win xp and lacking the hardware for an upgrade, not having a console and being unemployed i am screwed. i will just do what i do these days watch other people play on youtube.