Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Magnetica posted a long piece about repro issues, which I feel is a good start for a discussion on that topic. I've therefore split that post into a new thread:

Reproduction issues and discussion in trades

Please continue all general talk about repro there. Of course, if something very specific comes up in the Mega Collection that needs an alert for other users (as per the Total War problem), then post that here.

sjarcher73

I don't care what you do or however you break up this discussion into whatever threads. If I've discussed overlapping issues so what.  I've basically been told to like what's been published or lump it.  I'd mention the terrible versions of "A Question of Judgement", "Error of Judgement" and "A Case for Treatment" that have come out in vol #8 and how mightily hacked off I am and how ripped off I feel but what'd be the point?

James Stacey

Have you contacted Rebellion directly with your points. RoboKeef does frequent these boards occasionally but mostly we are just fans like you so probably can't give you the direct responses you appear to be looking for, just our opinions.

robert_ellis

I really enjoyed low-life Paranoia. The art is an embarrassment of riches:  Rufus Day-glo's stuff here has a painty texture and great lighting, Coleby brings out the humour & darkness of Dirty Frank, and Henry Flint is on fire. I love that these stories - like the best Dreddworld, embrace comedy & pathos in equal measure...

I, Cosh

Quote from: sjarcher73 on 12 January, 2016, 11:13:08 AM
I don't care what you do or however you break up this discussion into whatever threads. If I've discussed overlapping issues so what.  I've basically been told to like what's been published or lump it.  I'd mention the terrible versions of "A Question of Judgement", "Error of Judgement" and "A Case for Treatment" that have come out in vol #8 and how mightily hacked off I am and how ripped off I feel but what'd be the point?
Well, you seem to enjoy whining like a petulant child so I'm sure you'd get something out of it. Alternatively, you could scweam and scweam and scweam until you're sick and maybe they'll rush out a special edition for you.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

C'mon—back to Mega Collection discussion, please.

Jade Falcon

Paranoia was okay, but really, I haven't been in a great frame of mind recently.  My mother died on the 2nd of January and I got a few other books through the post and haven't read them like the Dragon Age world book and the Dan Dare Haynes book.

It's possible if I reread it I'll enjoy it more if I'm in the right frame of mind.  I remember hating Terry Pratchetts Small Gods the first time I read it and loving it on a reread, so.....
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

TordelBack

Really sorry for your loss, JF. I'd imagine many things have lost their appeal, for now at least. 

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

robert_ellis

Jade, I hope family & friends can help you through the loss of your mother. All the best.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 January, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
To the people complaining about repro/removed elements: as far as I'm aware, reprint at Rebellion works on the basis of the best available source. In a lot of cases for pre-digital strips, the art's no longer available. The originals are long gone and the films are too damaged to be usable. That leaves the option of scanning the comics (which is often not viable, due to the nature of the original printing, moire, and so on), scanning from a collected edition (typically better), or in some cases using films from later editions.

In a perfect world, there would be a complete, pristine set of prints of every single thing 2000 AD ever printed. The reality is, we get what we get, which has usually involved a significant amount of unseen clean-up and attention.

Spot on IP.

Funnily enough I have been approached by several readers who hate it when the next prog boxes are included. They feel it upsets the flow of the story in a trade. Swings and roundabouts innit...

Knowing what goes into getting some of the older stories ready for publication, I believe that Kat-Scan is the real unsung hero of the 2000 AD team.

My only gripe is when we have to greyscale colour pages because of (mainly) financial constraints. I understand why it has to be done though and it does mean I get to release material that otherwise would probably never see publication again.

Max Headroom

Can someone who owns the 'Cursed Earth Koburn' edition confirm for me that the story 'Going After Billy Zane' is definitely included as there seems to be some doubt. The Mega Collection wikipedia page does not list it as being in the collection. Thanks.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 16 January, 2016, 06:59:58 PMCan someone who owns the 'Cursed Earth Koburn' edition confirm for me that the story 'Going After Billy Zane' is definitely included

Yep.

abelardsnazz

The Wikipedia page is listing issue 29 as Satan's Island but no reference to an official announcement. Anyone know any more about that?

abelardsnazz

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 17 January, 2016, 11:24:38 AM
The Wikipedia page is listing issue 29 as Satan's Island but no reference to an official announcement. Anyone know any more about that?

Official confirmation on the Facebook page that Satan's Island is indeed issue 29, volume 44.