Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 January, 2016, 03:01:24 PM
True, just a kick in the nadgers for premium subscribers.

I can understand that. If they do the same with all the other prints (if it wasn't a mistake, and surely it must have been as they wouldn't intentionally just give this kind of thing away free to everyone) that would truly be out of order.

As there were a few, ( I forget how many) hopefully it will still be worthwhile for the premium subscribers.

Feeling just slightly guilty for ordering it now...  :lol:

IndigoPrime

It's very obviously a cock-up. Quite why it's still available to buy is another matter. (The replacements are a bit different. I don't feel OK about ordering them myself, because it feels too much like taking advantage of a company that's happily and rapidly sent me replacements for dinged books, without needing anything returned to them.)

James Stacey

Whats the deal with replacement books btw. I've had my replacement Koburn through but they havent said anything about returning the bashed issue. Is it safe to pass onto a colleague to spread the love ?

jacob g

Quote from: James Stacey on 25 January, 2016, 10:02:27 AM
Whats the deal with replacement books btw. I've had my replacement Koburn through but they havent said anything about returning the bashed issue. Is it safe to pass onto a colleague to spread the love ?

I don't know how it works with Hachette UK but in Poland they never asked about damaged copies (Marvel Collection I mean, we don't have Mega Collection ofcourse). They just accept request, send new copy and that's all.
margaritas ante porcos

IndigoPrime

I asked a couple of times about returning books, but they didn't want them back. At most, they once asked for a photo of the book, simply so they could see the damage that had been caused. (This was when they were being shipped with the badge gifts, with everything getting crushed together. I think they were quite surprised how badly that went.)

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Cursed Earth Koburn, although I'm in agreement with Gordon Rennie that the earlier funnier stories are better than the later darker ones. Would be happy to see a return and some point though.

Also really liked El Maldito, not being a Megazine reader I'd missed this last year. If it is Mr Rennie's final Dredd he's going out on a high.

Next is Beyond Mega City One. Some new to me, others I haven't read for years. Intrigued.

Jamie1000013

Really, really loved Cursed Earth Koburn. Rennie is a genius, reading this collection I was like "WOW he wrote that as well!". It's sort of like hearing a song on the radio and then searching the band and then finding out you like all of their songs. El Maldito was my favourite Meg story of last year and didn't know he write that as well.

I Love all the cursed earth focused stuff and every story was really intriguing, Malach being my favourite in this book.

Having ordered the Ultimate Marvel subscription I can honestly say this collection beats it in terms of quality hands down.

IndigoPrime

Funnily enough, I'm reading through the Marvel collection now, of which I got the first 60 books off of eBay. I'm reading in volume order rather than dispatch, and although I'm enjoying it, it's a bit of a trudge. I'd forgotten how irritating and wordy old-school Marvel was. Secret Wars is all rather: "Hello! My name is X,. I will now introduce every character I can see around me, because TOYS. We will then unnecessarily chat throughout the entire comic, including fight scenes." Old Dredd might lack sophistication compared to more recent fare, but it at the time was leagues ahead of Marvel.

moly

Just had 28 and 29 delivered beyond mega city one and satans Island, beyond mega city one includes book of the dead

IndigoPrime

Beyond Mega-City One
Atlantis
Emerald Isle
Book of the Dead
Gulag
Regime Change
/ Covers
/ 'Culture Shock' essay by Mike Molcher

Not a bad selection at all, although Book of the Dead's a bit of a dud from a script standpoint, and Regime Change has some odd art at times (HUGE MOUTHS!). There's disappointment for me, though, in the omission of 'Crazy Barry, Little Mo' and its sequel, 'Banana City', which has some exceptional Will Simpson art. These would have been great twinned with Regime Change, and I hope they shows up elsewhere in the collection.

Satan's Island
Sin City
Case for the Defence
Reprisal
Jumped
Lawcon
/ Covers
/ 'A short history of the violent pastimes of Mega-City One', by Mike Molcher.

A really solid collection here, building on 2005's Satan's Island trade. Art-wise, it's very strong throughout. If you always hankered after the Satan's Island collection but hadn't got around to buying, this hardback offers serious value.
The Trial of Orlock

Jamie1000013

Still eagerly awaiting The Pit, Judge Cal stuff, and really surprised no Judge Death stuff has been released yet, although it has appeared a little bit here and there.

Just hope the sales hold up so we get a complete collection, I'm scared if orders drop off they will stop printing midway through.

Skullmo

I guess crazy barry will be in the 'Judges Gone Bad' collection along with Bad Manners
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2016, 10:01:55 AM
Funnily enough, I'm reading through the Marvel collection now, of which I got the first 60 books off of eBay. I'm reading in volume order rather than dispatch, and although I'm enjoying it, it's a bit of a trudge. I'd forgotten how irritating and wordy old-school Marvel was. Secret Wars is all rather: "Hello! My name is X,. I will now introduce every character I can see around me, because TOYS. We will then unnecessarily chat throughout the entire comic, including fight scenes." Old Dredd might lack sophistication compared to more recent fare, but it at the time was leagues ahead of Marvel.

I remember X-Men was the worst with Cyclops.  The slightest thing and you got an explanation about his "Ruby quartz lenses/glasses".
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

The official site, in the Next issue section, is currently showing the cover of Judge Death Lives, which must be an error as the accompanying text describes Satan's Island which is issue 29. Artists credited on the cover of JDL are Brian Bolland, Brett Ewins, Ron Smith and Greg Staples, so, in the interests of speculation, my guesses are that the contents of this volume will be:

Judge Death
Judge Death Lives
Revenge/Four Dark Judges
Theatre of Death
Dead Reckoning

Satanist

Always wanted to read Book of the Dead to so if its as bad as all say, The next few books seem to be really strong though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?