Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I'm happy seeing some recent stuff. It gives the collection some range, and it'll be a couple of years yet before the thing's done anyway.

robert_ellis

Great to see Necropolis out at WHSmiths. Lovely Carlos Ezquerra endpapers. I'm guessing this is one of the bigger books - the whole of Necropolis, plus countdown for a tenner!

abelardsnazz

Loved re-reading Necropolis, but I gorged on it and now can't wait for The Pit. Great article by Molch-R too.

Interesting to hear John Wagner remark on the Thrill-cast how the story he likes the most out of this arc is The Dead Man - I can see why, building atmosphere and portent around an unknown character until the big reveal.

A thought occurred to me while reading - who's drawn the most pages of Dredd? Carlos? Ron Smith? Henry Flint? Any ideas?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 17 March, 2016, 07:09:20 PM
A thought occurred to me while reading - who's drawn the most pages of Dredd? Carlos? Ron Smith? Henry Flint? Any ideas?

Somewhere on his magnificent blog, I think AlexF worked it out - http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=41943.0;topicseen
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 March, 2016, 09:09:18 PM
Aha! Here you go, I found the entry - http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/interlude-dreddcount-part-2_29.html

Wow, thanks for that, what a great, and exhaustive, list. I didn't figure on Ian Gibson featuring as high, but I think I always associated him more with Halo Jones and Robo-Hunter more than Dredd. But he did draw a lot of the early stuff. Erroneous on my part.

Looking forward to The Taxidermist volume.

Dark Jimbo

What I love about our fandom is that, when you ask questions like that, you know that someone somewhere has probably already answered it - just a case of finding where!
@jamesfeistdraws

abelardsnazz

Absolutely, it's great - and another question coming up!

The Facebook page has announced issue 35 as Missionary Man: Goin' South. Artists credited on the cover include Ron Smith, but I'm not aware of any MM stories drawn by Ron. Any ideas?

The Monarch

I may be wrong but i don't think smith ever did mm...so maybe another cursed earth story?

Nice to see the chunk of mm i never got to read

GordonR

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 March, 2016, 07:05:37 PM
Absolutely, it's great - and another question coming up!

The Facebook page has announced issue 35 as Missionary Man: Goin' South. Artists credited on the cover include Ron Smith, but I'm not aware of any MM stories drawn by Ron. Any ideas?

Ron Smith never did any MM stories, and (unless the old memory circuits are severely failing these days) I never worked with him on anything else, so your guess is as good as mine what he's doing in there.

COMMANDO FORCES

They sometimes place stories at the end that have vague connections to the overall arc of the book, just for the page count! I presume it could be something like that.

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

The Hotdog Run, I'd guess.  Has Gila Munja, Cursed Earth desperados etc. for thematic overlap. Think it's only three episodes, so a fairly easy fit.  It's also a good 'un.

GordonR

There's a LOT of MM stories that have never been reprinted - and how glad am I that the Frank Quitely early ones aren't receiving yet another outing, and other better stories are being given a chance instead.  There's no great need I can see to pad the book out with other stories.

(And, if Black Plague/Hotdog Run is being included, then why isn't John Wagner credited on the cover?)

Mysteries within mysteries, this one.

Hawkmumbler

Black Plague was a stab in the dark because I couldn't find the cover in question for love nor money, so made an assumption off of Ron Smith being listed.

But indeed, very peculiar.