Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 July, 2016, 05:39:14 PM
Quote from: bedlamvr on 04 July, 2016, 01:14:24 PM

For example ... Inferno seemed to have a good idea (penal colony full of ex judges  taken over by the inmates) but the pacing was odd in the beginning - it was never clear if you were supposed to feel sorry for the Judges sentenced to serve on Titan, Also what was their motivation to head back to MC1 and follow Grice - surely most of them would have splintered off and run and then the attempt to maintain the high melodreama throughout the main story kind of made it a farce... and to be honest i kind of stopped paying attention part way through. (and was the reason I stopped reading 2000AD in the first place).

Let's face it, Millar at the time was using it as a stepping stone to craft his skills and really didn't give that much of a damn.  He let his worst tendencies spew out and is probably partially responsible for a lot of the drifting readership of the time.  Inferno is probably the second best example of his dross (the first being what he did to Robohunter) although I am willing to concede that there is worse out there.  What possessed them to include it in the collection is a mystery to me.

I'd argue it's worth it to see that gorgeous Ezquerra art back in print-arguably, again, some of the best he's ever done.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

That is its only redeeming feature.  Otherwise it falls in the same category as Blackadder's King And Country ("Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent!")

The Monarch

vol 80 is luna 1 based I would be genuinly shocked if darkside isn't in that volume

and a dredd collection without graveyard shift is just madness

Trent

I thought I read somewhere that Darkside was not included.
Agree re Graveyard Shift - stone cold classic.

Michael Knight

The graveyard shift was one of the first reprints i ever bought after discovering 2000ad. I think it was in an issue of 'The Complete Judge Dredd'. Surely this needs a reprint in glorious hardback  :)

robert_ellis

I think I was surprised to find Darkside not included in the MegaCollection - it seems an obvious sequel to City of the Damned. Mind you if Unamerican Graffitti can be excluded, anything can happen!

Apestrife

Quote from: robert_ellis on 06 July, 2016, 05:24:54 PM
I think I was surprised to find Darkside not included in the MegaCollection - it seems an obvious sequel to City of the Damned. Mind you if Unamerican Graffitti can be excluded, anything can happen!

They said that Unamerican graffitti will be exluded  :o!?

robert_ellis

(From Facebook)
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for waiting so patiently for our reply on this.

Unfortunately, the Chopper collection doesn't include UnAmerican
Graffiti.

We really appreciate all your contribution to the community so far Stephen. You've been very helpful and insightful. A drokking true fan!

Thank you!

Apestrife

Quote from: robert_ellis on 06 July, 2016, 06:41:22 PM
(From Facebook)
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for waiting so patiently for our reply on this.

Unfortunately, the Chopper collection doesn't include UnAmerican
Graffiti.

We really appreciate all your contribution to the community so far Stephen. You've been very helpful and insightful. A drokking true fan!

Thank you!

That's really unfortunate.

A while ago I asked about stories included beyond Song of the surfer, and they said The big meg was included.

Idk. I much rather have Un american graffiti, Midnight surfer, Sould on fire and Song of the surfer.

Could/should we try to sway them regarding it? I'd love for such collection of stories to exist.

Seems like they're trying to keep out as much old material as possible? Especially black and white stuff. I'v read that robot wars wouldn't be included either. IMO a must if there'll ever be a Walter the wobot collection >:(

Trent

I could pass on a Walter collection but excluding Unamerican Graffiti (Ron Smith conspiracy) in favour of later far inferior colour Chopper is nuts.
Some very strange decisions in a generally stunning collection.

The Legendary Shark

Will probably appear in The Judge Dredd Mega Classics Collection - vol XII.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Apestrife

They confirmed more post Song of the surfer Chopper than the big meg?

Idk. UnAmerican graffiti pretty much is essential to Chopper? The sort of household he grew up in, and opted to escape.

Those I suggested (UnAmerican Graffiti up to Song of the surfer) would be too short? I count to 150 pages for such collection. Plus perhaps the story with Dredd in bandages in a sick bed giving his thoughts on not having shot Chopper. And the one with Jug Mckenzie -I think- where Dredd hits his head and lands in the land of Oz (correct me if I'm wrong having read such Dredd story)

Really wish Oz was split in two, with the Chopper stuff included.

Trent

Hitman was included in Target: Judge Dredd. Not sure what stories they are including to get to 170 to 200 strip pages. Ironically, you could fill two volumes almost perfectly with the remaining Chopper material.
That said, I have found everything post Song of the Surfer pointless and repetitive. Perhaps I had already mourned him and moved on.

Apestrife

Quote from: Trent on 06 July, 2016, 07:50:54 PM
Hitman was included in Target: Judge Dredd. Not sure what stories they are including to get to 170 to 200 strip pages. Ironically, you could fill two volumes almost perfectly with the remaining Chopper material.
That said, I have found everything post Song of the Surfer pointless and repetitive. Perhaps I had already mourned him and moved on.

I really hope they'll only include the Big beg story. From what I remember of the Surf's up collection, it and the funeral story where the only good stories beyond Song of the surfer (which in my head canon is the last Chopper story.)

Regardless. I sent them a pm asking for it -un american graffiti- to be included. Perhaps if more did the same?

robert_ellis

I've written about it in the Visitors Posts. Feel free to comment. I'm guessing they want to minimise material from the casefiles? Anyway it's only 14 pages. Perhaps Tharg can be swayed!