Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 03:52:59 PM
Grice's death is a note worthy 'Not-Dredd' moment. A classic example of a writer not getting what the character stands for.

Awful, awful stuff.

Greg M.

For all that I loathe 'Inferno' (and I do - despite the smashing artwork, I think it's the worst Dredd story ever) I do kinda enjoy Grice's death scene - memorably nasty and unpleasantly witty.

Davgardo

Apologies for being off topic but I'm a new member and I don't seem to be able to post anywhere other than this thread! A bit odd - any tips? Thanks, Dave.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 July, 2016, 05:43:26 PM
I think it's the worst Dredd story ever...

I liked Inferno. It may not be outstanding quality but it certainly isn't Shit either. If we're going down the worst story route I'll throw the 'Judge Planet' storyline into the fray. Absolute nonsense, in my opinion.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

Grice's death was great. But I agree that that version of the character was totally different to the original depicted in Wagner's stories.

TordelBack

TBH it's not really Grice's characterisation that bothers me - I can accept that he's an authoritarian judge who has been brutalised by Titan, completely lost his marbles and gone seeking revenge.  It's an OTT transformation (and I doubt the boys thought about it for as long as it took to type this aside), but in a sense he's not the same character, he's what that man has become. It's the rest of the Purgatory/Inferno crew I don't get. Who are these people? How were these redneck lardasses, slack-jawed morons and hippies ever MC-1  judges in the first place? 

Steve Green

dweezil2

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 July, 2016, 03:04:44 PM
TBH it's not really Grice's characterisation that bothers me - I can accept that he's an authoritarian judge who has been brutalised by Titan, completely lost his marbles and gone seeking revenge.  It's an OTT transformation (and I doubt the boys thought about it for as long as it took to type this aside), but in a sense he's not the same character, he's what that man has become. It's the rest of the Purgatory/Inferno crew I don't get. Who are these people? How were these redneck lardasses, slack-jawed morons and hippies ever MC-1  judges in the first place?

I would of been pretty dull if the inmates had been your usual unimpeachable, by the book, judges-they were on Titan for a reason.

Agreed, the Purgatory/Inferno storyline never much aimed beyond thst of an over the top Hollywood action movie in its approach.
Taken in these terms though, there's a lot of fun to be had.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 July, 2016, 03:04:44 PM
TBH it's not really Grice's characterisation that bothers me - I can accept that he's an authoritarian judge who has been brutalised by Titan, completely lost his marbles and gone seeking revenge.  It's an OTT transformation (and I doubt the boys thought about it for as long as it took to type this aside), but in a sense he's not the same character, he's what that man has become.

While the logic and sense of character change is perfectly valid and one I've settled with myself it alas doesn't change the fact that

Grice (pre Purgatory): Great well rounded character who makes an interesting protagonist.

Grice (Purgatory and Inferno): Poor ranting cliched nutter character.

So while it can easily be explained its still a real shame he's gone from good character to bad.

Judge Nutmeg

William's Titan deals with the same themes but does it much more successfully

IndigoPrime

Royal Mail helpfully left my package behind a bin while I was away. Soaked through and covered in bugs. *fume*

It'll be interesting to see if they compensate. (They'd bloody well better.) So my review is: too many bugs and too wet.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 10 July, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
Dirty Frank.

Touche!  Maybe we only ever saw the Wally Squad wing?

@Dweezil: sure, the inmates should be bad, bitter, violent and probably crazy, but other than the Steve Green loophole, how do you get to be an obese redneck on Titan if you didn't start out that way?

FWIW I prefer Purgatoty to Inferno because of all the OTT characters and uniforms. Inferno's biggest sin is that it's boring and repetitive.

Steve Green

dweezil2

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 July, 2016, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 10 July, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
Dirty Frank.

Touche!  Maybe we only ever saw the Wally Squad wing?

@Dweezil: sure, the inmates should be bad, bitter, violent and probably crazy, but other than the Steve Green loophole, how do you get to be an obese redneck on Titan if you didn't start out that way?

FWIW I prefer Purgatoty to Inferno because of all the OTT characters and uniforms. Inferno's biggest sin is that it's boring and repetitive.

I reckon someone's been smuggling in Umpty Candy with their bog roll supplies!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo