Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Helltrekkers might be okay, been years since I read it in the Prog. I do think I would like to read it again.

Personally I don't keep all the Mega Collections. If its full of stories that I like then I will keep them but if its Garth Ennis type stuff which I don't see as deserving a reprint, let alone a hardback reprint, then I put them up on a generic auction site.

Overall I've only kept about 50% of the volumes which isn't a great strike rate for this sort of series.

Two of the volumes I didn't even open, one being the Calhab one. Don't remember the other.

Timothy

I would love to see The Straitjacket Fits reprinted, but I think it's a forlorn hope. Soul Sisters had some great art, but it never seemed to gel with the story. Both, while appearing in the Megazine, are insufficiently Dreddy for this collection.

terryworld

that's another one going on the "do not order" list at my thrill-merchants. while it's a pain being in Oz and getting these books 3 months after everyone back in Brit-Cit, it at least gives me the chance to save some money on what are - let's face it - really crap filler volumes. strike rate so far has been 1 in 4 books not worth it. it's a damn shame and a real missed opportunity for rebellion. it was the mega collection that got me back into toothy and the meg, which i now have a standing order for, and set me off on my hunt for back issues to get a full set. but imagine someone in the same boat as me, gave up on the prog years ago and picks up a mega collection book to see what they've been missing. if that person were to impulse buy something like this or calhab, i think it might put them off returning to tharg's mighty organ for life.

Tjm86

... and  today's winner for the most poorly considered sentence goes to ...

I guess we have to remember that although Brit's and Aussies both speak 'english', there are certain subtle differences that can be a little amusing at times.   :D

O Lucky Stevie!

Cultural context is king.

This is what the word "organ" immediately conjures for any 21st century Australian:

Barry Morgan's World Of Organs
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

terryworld

Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 November, 2016, 05:24:04 AM
... and  today's winner for the most poorly considered sentence goes to ...

I guess we have to remember that although Brit's and Aussies both speak 'english', there are certain subtle differences that can be a little amusing at times.   :D

whilst i might reside in the Radback TJM, i'll have you know that i am a british citizen and subject born and bred thanks. and the mighty one's organ is nothing if not magnificent.

nice to see barry on here stevie. he's a bloody legend. (where were you at supanova last week champ, woulda had a pint with you?)

Davgardo

Quote from: terryworld on 29 November, 2016, 01:28:36 AM
that's another one going on the "do not order" list at my thrill-merchants. while it's a pain being in Oz and getting these books 3 months after everyone back in Brit-Cit, it at least gives me the chance to save some money on what are - let's face it - really crap filler volumes. strike rate so far has been 1 in 4 books not worth it. it's a damn shame and a real missed opportunity for rebellion.

Calhab was the only volume that had literally nothing to recommend it and it's a pity that this release comes not too far behind. I'll save judgement on Helltrekkers as my memory is fuzzy - it's Wagner & Grant so it can't be terrible. Into the Undercity was much better than i was expecting so you never know.

It still bugs me that i paid £10 for that Calhab dross. The first Ridgeway strip backed up by various Kenny Who, Cam Kennedy Dredd Calhab stuff would've been great, so whoever gave the go ahead to that volume needs a severe ticking off!!  :D

The Legendary Shark

I think that if the Mega Collection is designed to offer a representative sample of Dredd's world, both his fictional world and our world of period and quality, then it's important to include volumes like Cal Hab Justice. It might make for a few weak volumes but produces a deeper and more rounded collection.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 November, 2016, 11:30:43 AM
I think that if the Mega Collection is designed to offer a representative sample of Dredd's world, both his fictional world and our world of period and quality, then it's important to include volumes like Cal Hab Justice. It might make for a few weak volumes but produces a deeper and more rounded collection.

Agreed.
And 'mega' collection can mean big collection, with duds. Legally and morally, they're covered...
Buy them all if you're afflicted with completism  ::)

Quote from: Internet
mega
ˈmɛɡə/
informal
adjective
adjective: mega

very large; huge.
    "he has signed a mega deal to make five movies"
    excellent.
    "it will be a mega film"

IndigoPrime

My take isn't so much that it's about being covered in terms of the description, but why someone felt the need to include a load of crap. I appreciate the honesty throughout these books – something very much missing from the Marvel one – but when you're paying ten quid for garbage like Calhab, you do wonder why something objectively better wasn't included instead (Calhab perhaps being included by way of a few episodes rather than the entire run).

Fortunately, we still only have a handful of volumes where the majority of content is dross, and there have been some nice surprises (Creep was far better than I recalled, and the moon volume was surprisingly good, if weirdly ordered), but I just hope there won't be too much more rubbish now we're past the half century.

Still Fetish/Engram's a good pairing next month. And then it's Banzai Battalion and Heavy Metal Dredd. (I recall finding the former lots of fun. Not a fan of the latter, but happy to read it again. Nice at at least, from what I recall.)

Fungus

I haven't picked up Calhab Justice. The intros and extra material have been refreshingly honest; how is Calhab introduced?

Trent

Just got the 2000AD email with a link to Fink Legacy GN. It is safe to assume all these stories will be included in the Mega Collection but a particular point of interest caught my eye.
In the preview link the centrespread of The Fink is shown in colour. If the centrespreads for Fink and Destiny's Angels are in colour it makes it highly tempting but also raises the question as to whether we might still be treated to them in the Mega Collection (as well as for the Judge Child if that is the case) if they are presumably available in decent quality.
It is by adding this kind of extra value above the Case Files that they will maximise sales and encourage doubledippers.

COMMANDO FORCES

The next two books have arrived today. Just gonna read Fetish in bed, as you do!

Trent

Yup, mine turned up too and lovely volumes they are.
Fetish completes Devlin (bar the text stories) and includes Old Wounds but not Roadkill. Excellent repro throughout based on a quick scan and an interview with Siku so rounds off the Devlin volumes perfectly.
Engram is equally excellent covering the expected stories (Triad, Engram, Screaming Skull, The Prophet) but also some Carlos in The Random Man and the Gibson Annual stories (Fistful of Denimite and The Mind of Edward Bottlebum).
Crucially, Leviathan's Farewell is included in between Triad and The Prophet. Not sure, but I assume this is the correct place chronologically, which, if the case gives the volume a nice little edge over the Psi-Files.
So that's it for Cass's solo tales for the collection (only skipped the Steve Sampson era so I think we can live with that) but leaves room for later tales if the collection gets extended.
Happy boy.

Mattofthespurs

Mine arrived too but I'm so far behind I doubt I'll get to these before the series ends (even if they do extend it). Still, nice to have them waiting for me  :D