Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teckno viking

Hoping my latest two arrive today as dispatched 24th Dec.

PJ Maybe was covered as Mayor too and tbh Only ever read him as the child Serial Killer. To be able to catch up with him and Everything he has been upto was Fantastic.
The Jelly Kill was the BEST!

abelardsnazz

The PJ volume featured him being elected Mayor and one story while incumbent, Wot I Did For Chrissmas. He didn't appear in the Tour of Duty volume issued so far, so there'll be more of his mayoral exploits in the forthcoming ToD volumes, 46 and 48.

Jamie1000013

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 30 December, 2016, 02:02:36 PM
The PJ volume featured him being elected Mayor and one story while incumbent, Wot I Did For Chrissmas. He didn't appear in the Tour of Duty volume issued so far, so there'll be more of his mayoral exploits in the forthcoming ToD volumes, 46 and 48.

Thanks mate wasn't too sure, thanks for the info. It's annoying they leave a massive gap in the sequel volumes which means by the time they come out I have forgot what happened so have to reread it lol.

IndigoPrime

Incidentally, anyone griping about the repro on this collection might want to take a look at issue one of the new Transformers run. Oh my. It's just... oh my. (Unless you like dreadful US art stripped of line art details and horribly blurry UK art, in which case, two quid well spent. No way in hell I'll be subscribing to that one.)

Smith

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 December, 2016, 05:59:55 PM
Incidentally, anyone griping about the repro on this collection might want to take a look at issue one of the new Transformers run. Oh my. It's just... oh my. (Unless you like dreadful US art stripped of line art details and horribly blurry UK art, in which case, two quid well spent. No way in hell I'll be subscribing to that one.)
I dont mean to sidetrack anything,but which series exactly?There are several TF titles being relaunched these days.

IndigoPrime

I'm referring to the Hachette TF partwork. I'm sitting here with issue one, and my UK and US Titan reprints and wondering how a book that looks so nice on the outside can have such terribleness inside. (OK: a bit OTT, and many people might not even notice or case. But, well, yuck. If anyone wants a fuller take, I posted here.)

Smith

Jamie1000013

Speaking of Hachette partworks, I've had a lot more fun reading the Judge Dredd collection than the Marvel one they also did. I got bored midway through and cancelled the Marvel one. With this one I have never thought of cancelling it, it has the odd dud now and again but most of them have been gems which I never would have read and would reread in the future.

Fungus

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 31 December, 2016, 06:46:01 PM
Speaking of Hachette partworks, I've had a lot more fun reading the Judge Dredd collection than the Marvel one they also did..

Well, duh  ;)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 31 December, 2016, 06:46:01 PM
Speaking of Hachette partworks, I've had a lot more fun reading the Judge Dredd collection than the Marvel one they also did. I got bored midway through and cancelled the Marvel one. With this one I have never thought of cancelling it, it has the odd dud now and again but most of them have been gems which I never would have read and would reread in the future.

Very different beasts in my opinion. Almost like comparing Dickens to Stephen King.
That said I'm enjoying the DC partwork more than the Marvel one but the Dredd one is my favourite of the three.

Trent

Can just about get comparing Dredd to Stephen King but really not sure the Dickens analogy stands up for Marvel, DC or Dredd. Just saying.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 31 December, 2016, 06:46:01 PMSpeaking of Hachette partworks, I've had a lot more fun reading the Judge Dredd collection than the Marvel one they also did. I got bored midway through and cancelled the Marvel one. With this one I have never thought of cancelling it, it has the odd dud now and again but most of them have been gems which I never would have read and would reread in the future.
I grabbed the first 60 of the Marvel run off of eBay, read them, then sold the set, rebuying only a few books in trade form. Bar the fairly haphazard choices in the Marvel run (which, let's face it, was more challenging than with Dredd, with far less material to choose from), I was less impressed by the supporting material by some margin. The sole thing the Marvel run did better was placing broken runs in context, so you didn't have weird jumps between strips. The Dredd volumes, such as Anderson's, could really have done with some lead-in pages.

Mind you, I suspect how much you enjoy these things also comes down to your love for the material. I like some Marvel stuff, but Dredd's really one of my first comic loves, from way back when I was a nipper. I only rarely read any Marvel as a kid – and even then, mostly Spider-Man – but 2000 AD and related comics were there every single week.

abelardsnazz

Happy New Year all. Just been on the Hachette site and all issues of the MC are being advertised at a fiver each. A New Year sale? Worth checking out if you're wanting to pick up any back issues.

Frank

Quote from: Trent on 01 January, 2017, 10:56:46 AM
not sure the Dickens analogy stands up for Marvel, DC or Dredd

Dickens wrote stories such as Hard Times and A Tale Of Two Cities in short instalments, which were published in weekly newsstand titles. Just like John Wagner (and Indiana Jones), Dickens made it up as he went along.

Dickens' first title, Household Words, was merged into All The Year Round, with the title of the defunct publication continuing to appear on the cover of the continuing title. The final issue of Household Words was essentially an ad for the merger.

Dickens may have originated the phrase EXCITING NEWS FOR ALL READERS.

Mardroid

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 01 January, 2017, 01:05:25 PM
Happy New Year all. Just been on the Hachette site and all issues of the MC are being advertised at a fiver each. A New Year sale? Worth checking out if you're wanting to pick up any back issues.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I've been meaning to complete my collection for a while. Not that I'm going to buy ALL the issues now (I'm only up to 15) as such a bulk buy would be expensive, but...

Have to spend £25 to get free delivery... so buy more books than intended to get the free delivery or...

Decisions decisions... :lol: