Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 26 April, 2013, 02:48:26 PM
Jurassic Park, a classic dinosaur film
I don't think I ever liked Jurassic Park, even when it was first released. And if Spielberg wasn't willing to kill the little boy in it, he shouldn't have pushed him off a cliff or had him electrocuted by a fence that is there to keep dinosaurs back to name two scenes that come to mind.
Will get around to seeing Crood's eventually; the fact Nic Cage is on voicing duties is enough to sell it but the scene in the trailer with the suggestion of hiding from fire in the tall, dry grass made me chuckle.
Scary Movie Five... I've seen bits of the previous four but don't think I've managed to make it all the way through any.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 April, 2013, 08:40:10 AMBut does it have STARFISH HITLER???!!!

No, but it does have Seahorse Mussolini.

TordelBack

Willow.  A first time viewing after a quarter century avoiding it due to my deep dislike of Val Kilmer.  It's actually pretty good! 

Some of the acting, and the voice acting in particular, is horrendously ropey, the editing and continuity is pretty vile, choppy and distracting throughout, and the romantic subplot is incomprehensible (the hand of Lucas weighs heavy, I fear), but there are some really fantastic scenes that are true visual gobsmackers (the Nelwyn village crowd, the scuttling trolls and the two-headed troll-dragon, the animated tripod that Willow fights), and I found myself quite caught up in the whole thing by the end.

Castwise Warwick Davis and his screen-wife Julie Peters give this film some genuine heart with warm and convincing performances, and the woefully underused Joanne 'Emma Craven' Whalley-soon-to-be-Kilmer is spellbindingly lovely, even if her part makes no sense at all.  Fun to spot the seemingly ageless Tony Cox as a spear-carrier too.  Even hateful plank Kilmer is reasonably inoffensive as he rips through a succession of daft costumes that are still more believable than the ones in The Saint.

On the downside, there are a few too many large loose ends and unconvincing plot turns, but I suppose that makes it less predictable than it might otherwise have been.  Other than the Nelwyn village scenes, everywhere feels underpopulated, vast castles manned by a dozen men and that sort of thing - a bit like the last Conan in that respect, and with some other strange parallels to ponder too (the trolls and the sand-soldier attacks feel very similar).  It's a better film than that, mind.

Link Prime

Dyou remember those Willow styrofoam jigsaw pieces in Cornflakes packets years ago?
Never could get a full set.

Charlie boy

Willow's a weird one for me because I remember how I really liked it as a kid but I can't remember anything more about it than it stars Warwick Davis and is something to do about magic (I was actually reminded a year or so back that Val Kilmer is in it). I have no problem remembering every other film I watched and liked at around the same age but Willow just seems to be missing from my memory .

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 April, 2013, 08:40:47 PM
Dyou remember those Willow styrofoam jigsaw pieces in Cornflakes packets years ago?
You're so making that up, Link Prime; stop making things up!

Link Prime

Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 April, 2013, 08:53:23 PM

Reality is stranger than fiction ol son

Charlie boy

Ha I'm guessing there are more missing Willow memories from my youth than I thought. The only thing I'm sure about regarding that film now is how it would be ITV that would show it and they had the same rule for Willow as they had for the Supergirl film- e.g we will only ever show this film after Catchphrase.

I, Cosh

Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen Willow or Slipstream.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 April, 2013, 09:01:07 PM
Ha I'm guessing there are more missing Willow memories from my youth than I thought. The only thing I'm sure about regarding that film now is how it would be ITV that would show it and they had the same rule for Willow as they had for the Supergirl film- e.g we will only ever show this film after Catchphrase.

Did a quick Google (Boards.ie never fails) there to check my sanity levels were still at 'Yellow Alert'....turns out that Kellogg's Cornflakes actually had little Willow figurines to go with the styrofoam pieces too.
They didn't stand out in my memory as strongly, but I definitely remember them.

Cereal was great in the 80's.

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 April, 2013, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 April, 2013, 08:53:23 PM

Reality is stranger than fiction ol son

Link you are a legend, mate! I was just thinking about that then i saw your post!  :D

I absolutely remember them; me and my mates would collect and trade them. They used to look so damn cool. Ah, nostalgia....
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 April, 2013, 03:06:13 PM
Scary Movie Five... I've seen bits of the previous four but don't think I've managed to make it all the way through any.

I remember the first one they made. It was a good one.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 26 April, 2013, 10:34:10 PM
Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 April, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

I remember the first one they made. It was a good one.
I think their all utter shite!

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2013, 05:19:55 PM
Willow.  A first time viewing after a quarter century avoiding it due to my deep dislike of Val Kilmer.  It's actually pretty good! 

Some of the acting, and the voice acting in particular, is horrendously ropey, the editing and continuity is pretty vile, choppy and distracting throughout, and the romantic subplot is incomprehensible (the hand of Lucas weighs heavy, I fear), but there are some really fantastic scenes that are true visual gobsmackers (the Nelwyn village crowd, the scuttling trolls and the two-headed troll-dragon, the animated tripod that Willow fights), and I found myself quite caught up in the whole thing by the end.

Castwise Warwick Davis and his screen-wife Julie Peters give this film some genuine heart with warm and convincing performances, and the woefully underused Joanne 'Emma Craven' Whalley-soon-to-be-Kilmer is spellbindingly lovely, even if her part makes no sense at all.  Fun to spot the seemingly ageless Tony Cox as a spear-carrier too.  Even hateful plank Kilmer is reasonably inoffensive as he rips through a succession of daft costumes that are still more believable than the ones in The Saint.

On the downside, there are a few too many large loose ends and unconvincing plot turns, but I suppose that makes it less predictable than it might otherwise have been.  Other than the Nelwyn village scenes, everywhere feels underpopulated, vast castles manned by a dozen men and that sort of thing - a bit like the last Conan in that respect, and with some other strange parallels to ponder too (the trolls and the sand-soldier attacks feel very similar).  It's a better film than that, mind.

I have a real soft spot for Willow. Love that monster at the end and my favourite character is the nasty bald dwarf that gets shat on.

The arcade game was pretty good too.

Presumably Disney own the rights to this now - be interesting to see a sequel!

Buttonman

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 April, 2013, 09:09:49 PM
Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen Willow or Slipstream.

Willow? Less than half marks from this respected blog.

We just had a lovely trip to the council estate in The Disappeared followed by some excellent Aussie drama in Wish You Were Here.

Richmond Clements

QuotePresumably Disney own the rights to this now - be interesting to see a sequel!

There is one:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Moon-Chronicles-War-Book/dp/0553572857