Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 June, 2014, 02:56:28 PM
Quote from: King Pops on 17 June, 2014, 02:36:45 PM
I've found Wes Anderson movies to be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes his quirky style irks, other times it suits the movie perfectly.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of those times where he hits the mark perfectly. In fact, I might go back and revisit the movies I found a bit annoying and re-evaluate them. He really demonstrates how a movie can be visually compelling stunning without tits and explosions and shaky cams and quick cuts and billions of pixels. All the locations are absolutely gorgeous, and the way the interiors are shot really give you a sense of the huge scale of the various fictional grand old piles.

The ensemble cast all put in excellent performances, and they all seem to be having a great deal of fun, but Ralph Fiennes is the obvious star of the show.

Funnily enough, I watched this last night. Loved every second of it. I can't remember the last time a movie was as much fun as this was.

It really is fantastic fun isn't it? As I said, I was a bit on the fence about Wes Anderson before, but I'm really looking forward to his next effort now.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Grand Budapest Hotel was tremendous.

I'm glad Anderson has rediscovered his sense of fun. I must admit I'd almost written him off after the languid, meandering The Darjeeling Limited, but Fantastic Mr Fox, Moonrise Kingdom and especially GBH rank among his very best work imo.

mogzilla

piggy a revenge thriller that seemed ok but I wanted it to be longer and with more depth ,an opportunity missed I felt
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

CrazyFoxMachine

Harry Potter and Mitten of Wool: Part 2

Yeah - with all the fussing out of the way it sort of gets on with it and does a very good job of pulling out all the history stuff - callbacks a-go-go and very fun with it - rattles along at a good pace and Neville kicking arse at the end is cinema dynamite. Not to mention Mance Rayder as Dumbledore's brother and MIRIAM "MARVELLOUS" MARGOYLES. YES. YES yes. The weakest points are all sadly present in the book - the heavy-handed "gosh isn't this dark" character kill-off spree (although we're spared Colin on-screen) and the awful awful awful awful awful AWFUL TERRIBLY AWFUL epilogue. I know it's a kids book about simple imbred wizards in a magical world but the growing maturity of the story is dragged back to book 1 with all that "of course we'll all stay with our childhood sweethearts and have a billion kids" bullshit.

You wouldn't let it lie, would you JK?

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 June, 2014, 05:39:32 PMI know it's a kids book about simple imbred wizards in a magical world but the growing maturity of the story is dragged back to book 1 with all that "of course we'll all stay with our childhood sweethearts and have a billion kids" bullshit.

I presume that this was the famous final chapter that Rowling wrote way, way back when she decided on the structure of the whole thing (and in this case I believe her), and which she recently said she felt she had got wrong.  I'm not sure it is so far-fetched within the overall setup, where the wizarding world is very, very small, and where these characters have been through an awful lot together. 

Of course I married a girl who I fell for when I was 15, and had quite enough kids thank you very much, so I may just have a skewed view of these things...

CrazyFoxMachine

I just feel it was hugely out of place and really juvenile - it felt like someone had stapled a fanfic into the of the book. What poppycock.

"and harry maries jinny and ron marries hermiene and they all had luvly weddings that wer beaauttiful and there were ponies and harry calls his kids "Hagrid Dobby Albus Potter" and "Lily Tonks Remus Mafalda Dobby Hedwig Potter" after all his friends wot have died and tee hee malfoy is bald now yay haha den they get on the train the end p.s. hermoines kids loves harrys kids despite the fact that THEY'RE ALL WEASLEYS"

Hogwarts in a few more generations:

TordelBack

Cor, there's one for the personal Underware [sic] thread! 

Meanwhile, SPOILERS!!!

Goaty

World War Z is on Netflix USA, and thoughts it was Diet-Zombie... very weak zombie film to be honest.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2014, 05:18:21 PM
Grand Budapest Hotel was tremendous.

I'm glad Anderson has rediscovered his sense of fun. I must admit I'd almost written him off after the languid, meandering The Darjeeling Limited, but Fantastic Mr Fox, Moonrise Kingdom and especially GBH rank among his very best work imo.

GBH is brilliant. Easily Andersons best film with many memorable scenes.

"Let me guess. She's dead isn;t she? And you think I killed her" 'Runs away'

".....STOP HIM!!!"

Goaty

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 June, 2014, 10:02:00 PM
GBH is brilliant. Easily Andersons best film with many memorable scenes.

"Let me guess. She's dead isn;t she? And you think I killed her" 'Runs away'

".....STOP HIM!!!"

M.I.K.

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 June, 2014, 07:50:05 PM

Hogwarts in a few more generations:

...as if it wasn't orange and teal enough already...

Goaty

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 June, 2014, 07:50:05 PM
THEY'RE ALL WEASLEYS"

Well one was Dredd's Chopper... oh I means Clan Techie! ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 17 June, 2014, 10:38:13 PM
...as if it wasn't orange and teal enough already...

Brilliant.

mogzilla

just watched the Robocop reboot, enjoyable but miss the black humour of the original but some nice not so subtle refs including an out of place theme! glad alex is back in silver for the sequel(?)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

ThryllSeekyr

I watched Thelma & Louise the night before last and what was I thinking about it...

I was thinking (Which is which....) it's a pity Louise ( Susan Sarandon who I really found attractive when she was in Rocky-Horror-Picture-Show)

But how to she go from this....

To this....

To this....

To Queen of Cleavage in well known films.

Age and gravity  :o

I pity she wasn't Robert Preston.....(A.K.A. Centauri a alien posing a travelling purveyor of arcade games.) and his car that flies

The Last Starfighter[/b] a movie I once loved, but now think is embarrassingly cheesy. I brought the film for my father last year and ended up borrowing it to watch by myself. While wincing and face palming all the way through it. Although, the first to use those then revolutionary computer game type graphic effects for all the space battle scenes.

Back on the subject of the other film I was watching the other night. I was thinking of this scene.......

Now, imagine if both films were a crossover.

Going the way the first film did... there's not much opportunity for sequel, television series or cartoon.

Now, maybe The Last Starfighter however cheesy, there is a chance for a that stuff to happen.

Others thoughts, Gina Davis . Even though I might myself to be considered to be overly lucky to have a chance with her, I kind of think she looks like a very male to female transgender style of metamorphosis gone wrong. I really paying attention to the sculpt of her face and after finding a picture of  her topless many years ago. I never really found her appealing. Yet, I think that is the trade off being what maybe considered to be strong looking woman.

Would any of you really go for her?

I do guess she has a hot looking body though, but I face as well as body guy and I'm also attracted to woman who don't portray characters who victimise men. However much it is deserved. Not that I trying to defend men, but I guess I'm really just defending myself.

I have more to say about this, but some other time....