Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Yeah - 'this player is useless at football but is by far the most interesting and charming character, so lets put them in the team'.

I'd recommend everyone at least watch the trailer, which really got to me and is what made me want to watch the film.

Goaty

Last few nights I was watch sequel films on Netflix USA.

How To Train Your Dragon 2, that was so beautiful film, love those dragons!

Wolf Creek 2, wow that was so brutal film! but good. very creepy when he was friendly G'day everytime!

GI Joe Retaliation, that was bit poorly but better than first film.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: radiator on 31 March, 2015, 04:14:43 PM
Yeah - 'this player is useless at football but is by far the most interesting and charming character, so lets put them in the team'.

I'd recommend everyone at least watch the trailer, which really got to me and is what made me want to watch the film.

Not sure you got that. Yes, that player was the most interesting. And was then the best player in the first match [spoiler]which they won thanks to his/her wonderful tackles in defence.[/spoiler]

A sincerely good film.

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 31 March, 2015, 04:21:45 PMHow To Train Your Dragon 2, that was so beautiful film, love those dragons!

Sent this half a dozen times now - fully convinced it's one of the top three fantasy films ever made.

Drago is a fantastic baddie, his hideous dragon-controlling voice quite monstrously unique; the reunion between Stoic and Valka is one of the most beautifully executed romantic scenes I've ever seen, and when they dance! Dear lord not a dry eye in the house: that's what true love looks like George, you utter pillock; and Hiccup himself- a hero whose utter conviction that talking and cooperation is the only answer never wavers - not for one moment do you doubt why people follow him.

And that's not even mentioning the visuals, which are magnificent, and somehow manage to deliver huge fantasy battles that owe no debt whatsoever to either LotR, Gladiator or 300. Amazing work.

Bagley

Three films I've watched in recent weeks...

The Casebook of Eddie Brewer (2012)
A film crew making a TV documentary about attitudes towards the supernatural follows an old-school paranormal investigator as he investigates a couple of disturbing and baffling local cases. I really enjoyed this film and thought it was actually a fair and well observed portrayal of some of the types of paranormal investigators out there and just how comparable they are to dismissive and judgmental critics. The film was released in the USA in February.

Frankenstein's Army (2013)
This found-footage horror film concerns Russian soldiers who become lost in a remote part of Germany while on a reconnaissance mission during World War II. They stumble across an abandoned settlement which is soon revealed to be infested with horrifying undead soldiers created by a Nazi scientist descended from Victor Frankenstein. This film wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, though it's worth watching once to see Frankenstein's aesthetically interesting 'creations' in action.

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead (2014)
A continuation of Norwegian-Icelandic film Dead Snow (2009), this Nazi zombie horror comedy goes into overdrive on story, gore and belly laughs, as well as introducing English speaking characters. Released in October last year in the USA and earlier this year in the UK, if you liked the first one, you'll love this sequel!

ThryllSeekyr

I saw the film Chappie earlier this week and was very impressed. I will review it more later when I am less entangled in other business.

I watched The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies on the Box Office channel after ordering it last night and I will including more commentary on that  later as well. I know I had started a review of it since I saw it for a second time in the theatres earlier this year. It was never completed and I promised to do tat sometime. I missed a lot of this last night, but made sure I did re-watched....

Gandalf's being rescued by Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond!

Dain Ironfoot's entrance and I had to remind my father who the actor was!

The original company of dwarves running into the field of battle in formation.

Beorn being air-dropped by a squadron of giant flying Eagles lead by Radaghast!

I also started watching the very first episode of IClaudeus that has been around since the late seventies. Starring Derek Jacobi as Claudeus, Brian Blessed as Ceasar Augustus, John Hurt as Tiberious and Patrick Stewart not as Jon Luc Pickard.

You should see the beginning of this. He's kind of like the Rome's version of Ukko.

Famous Mortimer

The Last Seven

British film, allegedly starring Danny Dyer (third billed on the DVD cover). There are only 7 people left in London...it's pretty awful, and everything about it is a lie. The cast aren't "the last seven", and Dyer is on screen for approximately 20 seconds. It feels like a bad episode of "Tales of the Unexpected" stretched to feature length.

ThryllSeekyr

Still watching I - Claudeus, althought I missed most of the first three episodes.

I reckon young Derek Jacobi.....

Looks a lot like Martin Freeman....

Now, I'm imagining a re-adaption set in NewZealands Hobbiton in the Shire.

Hawkmumbler

Two british crime (sorta) films in a double bill of Who Dares Wins (a little guff but the SWAT raid was very well executed. Well worth the £5 I paid for the blu-ray anyway) and The Long Good Friday which is......just superb. Honestly one of my all time favourite crime films, possibly topping even The Godfather.

Lady Warp Spasm

rewatching some Italian genre faves:

What Have you Done to Solange? One of my favorite giallos and one of my favorite performances from Fabio Testi.

Suspiria Can't wait for the U.S. blu ray.

Shoot First, Die Later- Awesome. Nice to see Luc Merenda in a leading role like that.

and others

Solomon Kane I love James Purefoy in the role and wished this would have been successful enough to warrant a sequel.

Octopussy - I liked this and still enjoy elements of it in spite of Roger Moore. Plus Kabir Bedi - (those eyes.)

Goldeneye - one of my favorite Bonds. A great, layered villain, fantastic Bond girls (Famke cracks me up) and Pierce.

X-Men United (X2) - Still holds up. And the Lady Deathstrike / Wolverine fight was fun.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 02 April, 2015, 01:40:25 PM
Solomon Kane I love James Purefoy in the role and wished this would have been successful enough to warrant a sequel.

I was disappointed with this. Yet I only watched this once after getig it on the Box Office channel as a rental.

The work of Robert E, Howard?

I assume it is because I own anthology containing a lot of his work (Conan the Barbarian and that as well.

von Boom

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 02 April, 2015, 01:54:37 PM
Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 02 April, 2015, 01:40:25 PM

I was disappointed with this. Yet I only watched this once after getig it on the Box Office channel as a rental.

The work of Robert E, Howard?

I assume it is because I own anthology containing a lot of his work (Conan the Barbarian and that as well.

Yes, Robert E. Howard wrote Solomon Kane.

Solomon Kane was not a perfect adaptation, but it's the best REH adaptation so far. Miles better than any of the Conan films.

Keef Monkey

Saw a handful at an all night horror fest in Glasgow last weekend -

The Thing - Obviously seen this a load of times (at times I think it might be my favorite movie), including a couple of times in the cinema so was a little annoyed when it appeared on the program because I thought something more obscure might have been better. All that washed away as soon as the first notes of the score kicked in, this movie is still incredible and seeing it on an old print was really nice and had an atmosphere that the digital presentations I'd been to previously didn't have.

Slugs The Movie - I'd never seen this and was always put off because slugs give me the boke. It was a great laugh though, a real so bad it's good movie and a lot of fun as a result. The inappropriate stock music library, the awful effects, the acting and dubbing - a perfect storm of trash cinema.

Profondo Rosso - Have said on here before that I'm not big on giallo, I found after the first couple I saw the rest have dragged a lot by virtue of following very similar structures. Saying that, this had a lot of great looking shots and yet another incredible Goblin score. Enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to given my previous experience with the genre!

Child's Play - Another one I've obviously seen before, but it works way better than expected on a big screen. I still don't find Chucky remotely scary, but I do like how mad it all is with its voodoo storyline and supernatural moments. A fun classic horror movie.

Sadly I was knackered by this point and left, despite the one film I'd voted to see (Halloween III) being the last film on. Just needed my bed, don't have the stamina anymore! Not sure another opportunity to see it on a big screen will ever happen, so regret that decision greatly.

TordelBack

I Claudius really is a remarkable adaptation. Despite the awful wigs/beards and painfully limited sets, it remains utterly compelling. I used to wistfully imagine a 'special edition', with digitally added exteriors, or even a full remake with battles and elephants, but having watched so many (enjoyable) big budget tits'n'torture series over the last number of years (most recently Borgia), I think the lack of such distractions is what makes the terrifying claustrophobia of Claudius' tale so palpable. For all that the Julio-Claudians sit atop an empire, it's the scrabbling of trapped rats that defines their lives.

Greg M.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 April, 2015, 03:13:16 PM

Profondo Rosso - Have said on here before that I'm not big on giallo, I found after the first couple I saw the rest have dragged a lot by virtue of following very similar structures. Saying that, this had a lot of great looking shots and yet another incredible Goblin score. Enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to given my previous experience with the genre!

Probably the greatest of all giallos. Definitely the best soundtrack. The bit with [spoiler]the animated doll [/spoiler] is probably the most frightening thing I've ever seen in a film.