Main Menu

Zenith

Started by 2 Cats & a Dog, 15 February, 2007, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tex Hex

I still have my rogue copy of the recent phase 1 printing that never was.

-hex

the shutdown man

Zenith was something I always wanted to read, as I'm constantly hearing that it's one of the all-time greats, but alas it was before my time (prog 873 - onwards). So I'd be voting for a re-print as well.....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Kev Levell

Still no sign of any agreement?

I remember loving Zenith, for me it was one of the highlights of the prog in my early years... I guess I'll have to go dig out all the progs and specials... thanks for the list!

Quote from: "Funt Solo"Zenith     
[Phase 1]    535-550
A Zenith Interlude: 1 Whitlock    558
A Zenith Interlude: 2 Peyne    559
Phase II    589-606
A Zenith Interlude: 3 Maximan    WS1
Phase III (part 1)    626-634
A Zenith Interlude: 4 Mandala    2KA'90
Phase III (part 2)    650-662 / 667-670
Tales Of The Alternative Earths    WS3 (T)
Phase IV    791-806
zzzzenith.com    p2001

JayzusB.Christ

I loved Phase 4. That bit where [spoiler]the Lloigor's conquered universe was revealed as the Chimaera pyramid[/spoiler] literally took my breath away as a 17-year-old, like nothing else in comics has ever done.
I liked Zzzenith.com too, though it did kind of spoil the mystery of Peter St. John's dark side. [spoiler]Tony Blair as a brain-dead wanking mental patient[/spoiler] - genius.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote[spoiler]Tony Blair as a brain-dead wanking mental patient[/spoiler]- genius.

Factual journalism, I calls it.

Here, what's this Tales of the Alternative Earths thing and why do I have no memory of it?  I thought I'd read all teh Winter Specials from that era, but maybe not.

Colin YNWA

Not really adding anything new to wants been said BUT since Zenith is possibly my favourite strip ever (2000ad or otherwise its definiately up there) it would be remiss of me not to say something.

Veryt recently read Phrase III (and the I and II a bit before that) and have to say it stands the test of time really well. Much as I loved Final Crisis for me this will always be Morrison's true ode to Superhero comics. While its not as complex or challenging as Final Crisis I think if this story would have been much better received by the mainstream audicence who have complained FC is incomprehensible. Its just a glorious glorious story.

Shame about the lack of reprints BUT the back issues aren't particularly hard to find and you'd get the added bonus of getting some other wonderful stories to boot.

Bouwel

I still contend that Zenith would make a good film.

-Bouwel-
(Who also likes Zenith)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Matt Timson

Quote from: "JayzusB.Christ"I loved Phase 4. That bit where [spoiler]the Lloigor's conquered universe was revealed as the Chimaera pyramid[/spoiler] literally took my breath away as a 17-year-old, like nothing else in comics has ever done.

Really?  I think I saw that one coming a mile off.  I still liked it though.
Pffft...

Funt Solo

QuoteHere, what's this Tales of the Alternative Earths thing

It's a text story, so maybe that's why it doesn't ring any bells.  (I'm not sure I've ever read it.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bouwel

I'm guessing this is the story you mean. It's from the 1990 Winter special.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

IndigoPrime

Given that it's by Mark Millar, I think we can safely pretend that doesn't exist as far as 'real' Zenith goes.

Kev Levell

Dug them all out - the list really made that an easy job, and that has made me feel all the more glad I started being a part of this forum - you guys rock :D

So I am now happily reading phase one... It really hasn't dated too badly and I've certainly enjoyed the first six episodes - I think it's all flooding back to me now. It really was one of my favourites. Zenith is more of an arrogant git than I remember, guess that perspective comes with age - but it's the surrounding world of characters that makes it so brilliant, and in that respect, I think it stands a comparison with Watchmen!

TordelBack

Thanks Bouwel!  Now I just have to decide whether I read it and successfully blocked it out, or whether I somehow missed that Winter Special completely.  I'd normally ignore Millar as a matter of principle, but given his close partnership with Morrison at that point that might be a bit hasty.  Either way it's a text piece, so I don't feel too bad not remembering it.

Bouwel

Never a problem...I always have my trusty scanner to hand.

After posting the pic I give it a re-read. I'll say you're not really missing too much.

-Bouwel-

vzzbux

This topic keeps popping up on the board. I think we can safely say that Zenith will never be collected and re-published :)

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.