Main Menu

PROG 1318

Started by Tiplodocus, 18 November, 2002, 07:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

JUST GOT THE FIRST OF MY NEW SUBSCRIPTION THIS MORNING ALONG WITH MEG 4.17.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

What can I say about it? How about: "Oh, this is distinctly below par."

DREDD: OK - goes nowehere though. Maybe I missed something.

RED SEAS: I continue to enjoy this - but everyone moaning about the art is making me think twice about the art.  I still think it's good but you've got to me - the zombies look too clean....

ASYLUM: I started off liking this but the "all action finale" isn't working for me.

PASt IMPERFECT:  Enjoyable stuff from Mister Rennie. I assume a twist isn't requisite on these tales (just a heavy dose of irony).

SIN/DEX: More direness from the deadly (dull) duo. Even does the really bad thing by having characters say "Gee, I can't belive I just said that". If Abnett doesn't believ in his cheesy puns, how does he expect us to?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paulvonscott

I should point out that Paul Von Scott is a registered trademark of BoloxCo (the biggest manufacturers of wholesale bollocks in Britain) and has been used by Rebellion without permission, there could be legal action.  Though as it doesn't say Arse or even Orse after it, I'm sure that they'll let it slide.

Needless to say I've enjoyed this Middenface a lot and glad to see it will be back.  Radlander was a mixture of gruesome and moving, Bendatti's finished and over all was okay, great art, but the story was a bit wobbly.  TPO good again, enjoyed the surprisingly simple Rogue Story from Moore.  Blah de blah blah blah.

Banners

Was disppointed that the Dredd tale seemed to use a similar format to last week i.e. someone recounts their version of events whilst the images contradict the narration. It's an effective technique but lost it's impact with the second time around coming so quickly.

Don't like how Red Seas shifts between the two scenes, one per alternate episode - I'm lost in terms of the timeline a bit and some of Yeowell's art lacks definition. Good atmos and some lovely poetic dialogue though.

Past Imperfect - very good idea, well done. Though may be lost on some younger readers (he said, patronisingly)...?

Asylum - is the bloke still not bothered he's lost an eye? That could have been a wonderful scene last week, but it went too quickly. And didn't the main baddy deserve a more dramatic end this week? The strip started off nicely but is now far too hectic. Cool eye candy though.

SinDex - Abnett's continual po-mo experimentation with the nature of the comic format used to invigorate the strip with its narrow premise. Now it just annoys. GET ON WITH THE STORY!

Ahem,

M@

Leigh S

Dredd: Not sure I see a great conspiracy theory here re the direction of the strip - its basically just taking the current "open Government" initiatives and transplanting them in MC1, with a slight flavour of those news stories you see in the Daily Mail about criminals sueing for compensation from their victims when they bruise their fists while beating them up.  Ever since Volt, we've seen a move towards a cuddlier Justice Department.  

Red Seas:  I'm liking this more for the story than the art.  Yeowells monsters and zombies are just too bland, unfortunately.  Withholding final judgement til we see how the potentially cliched "Kill God" angle pans out.

ASylum:  Less impressed by the week.  The art remains too cartoony (Yoda and ET are the most realistic looking aliens this week), while the story is too contrived - Theres a big hole in the ground made by an alien - just happens to lead into a giant drop? How the hell did the alien make the hole then?  Then theres the conveniently placed, easily disabled generator in this weeks.  

Past Imperfect:  Good stuff this week, and certainly more welcome than the usual FS formula stories.

Sin Dex: SB Davis art is nice enough, but theres never much going on in the backgrounds is there? The Sin Dex stories arent badly written, but if you dont already buy into the duo, then the constant "variations on a theme" are extremely annoying. Unfortunately for me, the joys of Sin Dex wore off a long time ago.

And the latest results just in...

Red Seas 2   ........   Atavar 2

Slippery PD

Heres my take on this weeks prog:

Dredd - I cant help but feel we are being led along a road to a big shift in the power within Dredd's world.  All of the recent Wagner stories seem to be hinting, in some degree to a change.  I enjoyed this story in that "Dredd reflecting the real world" way, much like last weeks, actually.

Red Seas - Im really enjoying this story, yep the art is a little flat.  But I think thats actually helping the story, giving it a sorta retro feel.  Some nice little touches by Yeowell, like the eclipse.  Did that remind anyone else of Zenith.  I suppose Im becoming all retentive with that one....

Past Imperfect - Rennie seems to be the only person who has managed to get the feeling of these little stories spot on.  I liked this a lot.

Asylum - I like the art, but there is something that doesnt quite click for me on the story.

SinDex - These two have just gone beyond the pale.  I really like Davis' art but Im sick of the gunsharks and the puns have now lost any humour value a long time ago.  Im beginning to think that they may be the worst story ever to appear in 2000ad.........     Maybe not there is Wireheads

- yer Slippo

DavidXBrunt

COVER - Nice. Another dark cover, but a good one.

DREDD - Again, nice. Gordon seems to have a real hang on Dredds world. Seems to be a theme in recent stories of exploring that world a bit, seeing new aspects of teh Justice Department (like Hersheys 'open justice' story, and the recent one about a day in the life of a guy called to see Dredd) or new aspects of old stories (like the aftermath of 'Necropolis' in the Meg lately, and 'War Crimes' coming up). Glad to say none of these additions seem bolted on, and the sequals have added to the stories in question. Anyway, rambling now, nice story, well drawn.

RED SEAS - Still liking this, but I agree with Logan when he says it may improve from reading in one go. It's not quite maintaining the quality of the opening episodes, but it's still good. And I might be biased but the Art is loverly.

ASYLUM - Chuntering along nicely. Not bad, not really taken off for me either. But never a chore to read.

PAST IMPERFECT - Like Asylum, neither great or awful. Readable, with good art. But another take on American History. For a comic that always seemed to be particularly British it's a shame we've had so few tales exploring British History. And aside from anything else, we have a much more interesting and varied history than America.

SINISTER DEXTER - I like this, these last two episodes seem like a side-step, it'll be nice to get on with the tale. Best looking thing in the comic.

Trout

Your mighty piscine overlord approves of Dredd and Red Seas, was reasonably diverted for a time by Asylum and Past Imperfect, but continues to pray to his mighty fish gods for the day Sinister and Dexter vanish forever.

- Trout

2000AD Online

just got prog today and i totally agree with the king on this one

paulvonscott

Let's hope this is just the (boring) quiet before the storm (that is prog 2003).

2000AD Online

Marbles

Prog 2003 = Dante's Return.
Meg 201 = Devlins Return.

Can't wait !
Remember - dry hair is for squids

petemaskreplica

Spot on, Trout. But maybe you need to find some more accomodating gods.

That jawless zombie in Red Seas looks a bit like Barney Gumble.

Oddboy

I think Sinister Dexter is on top form once again.  Humbug to all the neighsayers!
The theories that you need good supporting characters to make the strip work doesn't quite fit, as this weeks' was the best yet in this story & just featured Sin & Dex in a gun fight & the other supporting characters barely in it at all.

Great episode, darn good story.
Dredd was okay, but felt the story became a little 'nothingy' after they binned his letter - like it was all for nothing.  I felt that the Justice system policy could have been summed up in a couple of panels really.  But it was fun all the same.

Haven't read Red Seas yet, so can't comment.

Asylum's fun.  Big battle, violence.  Fun.

Past I. - interesting story but saw the punch line after the first panel (although I was surprised that that was the punchline.
I think these PIs would be better if they decide what they're trying to be - are they Tharg's Past Shocks or are they short tales of an alternate past?  I personally think they'd be better without the joke or twist ending.

Great cover by Jock.

Hmm - I appear to be very bitchy to Gordon here don't I?  Sorry!  I did really enjoy all the stories here.
Better set your phaser to stun.

petemaskreplica

I agree with thee, yet, i must say, Asylum is a bit of an anticlimax. By the way, does anyone remember the Alan Grant 1prog story in which a gold masked death lord tries to kill off dredd in his own customised street? When is that story going to be finished off?

Jared Katooie

I actually agree totally with Mr Tips. Things are petering out somewhat. The meg actually seems more tempting for once. But I cant afford it.

How convenient...

J Kat.