Main Menu

Battle Action Force.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 09 March, 2003, 03:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

A friend at work mentioned she had a box of comics which she described as the complete run of 'Battle Action Force'. Not knowing a jot about the comics I said I might be interested if there were any artists I recognised. I assumed that it would be a load of tie ins to the toy range that made up part of its title.

And whilst a lot of the comic seems to be cheap and shoddy looking tie ins I was delighted to see stories from Tom Tully, Gerry Day (I'm assuming that his middle name is Finley) and Pat Mills and art from Eric Bradbury and Carlos Ezquarra. And even better it was on strips like Charlies War and Major Easy that I've heard about but never read.

Sadly it doesn't appear to be the complete run, and the stories don't start in issue 1. I'm assuming that it's a later incarnation of Battle Picture Weekly. Can anyone confirm this. Also it this run goes from 1983 to late in 1985. The stories don't end so I'm assuming the comic continued. Can anyone tell me how long it ran for?

Anyway, I now have over a hundred comics to read through and though some are in a pittyable state with dogged covers and full of dust the fact that they come with summer specials and annuals and a handfull of toys means I'm glad that I wasted ?20 on this particular bundle of firelighters. And I've got a fortnight off work to peruse them. But can anyone point me in the direction of further details on this old I.P.C. comic? I'll start over at Marbles place...

judda fett

Marbles is the man for all that. What toys did you get? I love the old Action Force line. It predates the 3 3/4" american GI Joe figures and some of the toys looked amazing, especially the red skull vehicle that looked like a TIE Fighter with a sull (natch) shaped cockpit with cannons coming out of the eyes.

karne

Yep it's a later incarnation of Battle cashing in on and using the Action Force merchandise as a last ditch attempt to reclaim flagging sales. Now do you see how lucky we were with Urban Strike in 2K :O

DavidXBrunt

Coming soon.

2000 A.D. Barbie Action!

Devons Daddy

Coming soon.
2000 A.D. Barbie Action!

you going to offer this at pitchfest then?got to be worth a go.has all the marketing ability that it needs to get someone to spend money on it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

mongor2003

Battle Action Force continued for a while, then it went back to plain old "Battle", then it folded and merged with Eagle - I think the only strips that continued where Charleys war, Johnny Red and one other that ive since forgotten, any ideas ?

Marbles

I've not much to add to all that really other than you got an excellent deal there when you consider the price of 'Battle' on ebay.
Note 'Eagle' only reprinted (badly IMO) old Battle 'Charleys War', not new adventures.
Remember - dry hair is for squids