Main Menu

Slaine: Treasures of Britain

Started by SmallBlueThing, 01 June, 2012, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

...is out. Along with Absalom: Ghosts of London, but i didnt bother with that.

Wasnt expecting this for another three weeks, so a nice surprise on wandering into whs this morning. Covering progs 1001 to 1031, this features the art of Dermot Power and Steve Tappin and an introduction in which we learn Pat Mills was the initial researcher for the recent 2004 version of King Arthur- which i assume was the one with keira knightley famous for photoshopping her a pair of gnorks on the poster. He wasnt impressed with the screenplay.

Anyway, it's out and my friday night is sorted.

SBT

mygrimmbrother

I remember quite liking Steve Tappin's take on Slaine. What happened to him I wonder?

SmallBlueThing

Graphics design and music video direction, according to his biog. Id be more precise, but im on a bus!

SBT

radiator

He started Ark vfx with a few other artists iirc.

Think they did music videos, cg animations and things like that. Dunno if ark is still going.

glassstanley

Looking at what Slaine stories are due out, I hope the next volume is a bumper one, that goes to the end of the Grail saga. That will see the back of his time travels.

vark

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 June, 2012, 09:59:34 AM
...is out. Along with Absalom: Ghosts of London, but i didnt bother with that.

Wasnt expecting this for another three weeks, so a nice surprise on wandering into whs this morning.

SBT
It still a pre order item on amazon.uk, whs and book depositary for June the 21st ???? I really don't understand the way editors deal with comics in the UK ...

vark

And now it's in stock at amazon but only 5, no 4, copies left in stock ... (I've ordered mine a few month ago but it's not on its way yet)

vark

Received mine today, yessssss!
It contains both Treasures of Britain books + Ukko's Tale: The Cloak of Fear that has never been reprinted in trade before (so finally there is new material for me!).
In UK if I'm not mistaken all further material up to the Book of Invasions has never been reprinted in paperback so I'm really looking forward to the next Rebellion books (although in France, the first series of 11 albums published in the nineties had finished with "King of Hearts").

Max Headroom

Are there any bonus stories included in this volume? I was particularly hoping for the two Slaine stories that appeared in 2000ad Annuals. There are also two Dice Man strips which will hopefully see the re-print treatment at some time.

vark

No, no bonuses. Are you referring to the battle of clontarf and the arrow of god ?

Max Headroom

Thanks for the heads-up, Vark. I was indeed referring to the Battle of Clontarf and Arrow of God. Really hoping these will be re-printed at sometime in the Slaine series! I'll still be buying this latest volume though.

Proudhuff

This is when I liked Slaine before it disappeared up its own wormhole so might try it, I remember this tale as one of the better ones, and Absalom: Ghosts of London is a def for the shelves of the Huff Mansion's Library.

'keira knightley famous for photoshopping her a pair of gnorks on the poster' linkie please  :D
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 June, 2012, 11:08:37 AM
'keira knightley famous for photoshopping her a pair of gnorks on the poster' linkie please  :D

Not nearly as titillating as it sounds.

@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

No, it's not. They merely increased her bust size to give a more rounded poster-friendly form. A digital equivilent of a padded bra. They didnt roughly cut out a pair of page three garbonzas and paste them onto her- which was the impression i may have given for comic effect.

As far as slaine goes- which i confess to not having read since i bouht it (i think the brown spines, all lined up, are putting me off. Brooowwwwwnnnn.) do we have a definite reason why those particular stories have been ignored- because it's becoming annoying now.

SBT

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 June, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 June, 2012, 11:08:37 AM

Not nearly as titillating as it sounds.

I'm all aquiver!
DDT did a job on me