Main Menu

Judge Dredd age question

Started by Max Headroom, 30 October, 2012, 06:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Just wondering how old Joe Dredd is in the current storyline? Does he age in 'real time' and how long can he realistically be expected to go on for?
Grateful if someone has the answer.

IndigoPrime

It's, what, 2134 in MC-1? Dredd was 'born' in 2066, making Dredd 68ish right now, although he was an accelerated clone, which could add five years to that. However, he's had rejuve treatments over the years and various bits replaced, plus this is the future (and so you'd expect people to live longer), so who knows how long he'll carry on for?

Eamonn Clarke

AFAIK he was cloned/born in 2066.
The Day of Chaos occurred in 2134, so that would make Dredd 68 now.

The subject of his retirement/replacement comes up frequently

I was at the SFX weekender in February this year and heard John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra speak. In response to a question about how long Dredd could go on for Wagner pointed at himself and answered:
"I intend to retire this old guy before I retire that old guy."

Dandontdare

Ah, this old chestnut - Dredd does progress in realtime, which is one of the strip's greatest strengths (How can you maintain any continuity when it took Peter Parker about 3 decades to get through high school and college?)

Currently Dredd is biologically around 73, but his early growth in the cloning tubes was accelerated to the age of 5 in a matter of months, so you could also say that he's only 68. The strip is set in current year +122 years. In prog 2 (1977), we meet Dredd in 2099. He's been on the streets over 20 years and one of his earliest cases  - sentencing his own brother to 20 years on Titan - is about to come back and haunt him. And he's been plugging on for another 35 years since then!

this may be useful: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=dredd&page=timelines

EDIT: Bah, beaten to the punch. Twice!

Patrick

The other thing to note is that there are regular appearances by people well over 100 - life expectancies are higher in the future, so just like your dad didn't look as old when he hit sixty as your granddad did, a seventy-year-old in Dredd's future would not be as physically aged as a seventy-year-old today.

Eme

..if only there were younger Dredd clones, ready for brain transplant about..... :-X

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bah. You might as well ask how many people live in MC1
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 31 October, 2012, 09:01:41 AM
Bah. You might as well ask how many people live in MC1

Now you mention it...
DDT did a job on me