Main Menu

The Best of John Wagner's Judge Dredd - coming March 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

The Best of John Wagner's Judge Dredd - Hardback, 304 pages, 15th March 2022

In celebration of the original Mega-City master, this collects the very best of John Wagner's Judge Dredd stories!

He is one of the best-known voices in British comics, respected and revered for revitalising the industry in the 1970s and co-creating the iconic 'Lawman of the future' - Judge Dredd.

In celebration of his forty-five years chronicling the madness and mayhem of Mega-City One, this collection features some of the funniest, most poignant and action-packed tales penned by the great man himself.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dog Deever

I thought this was a heads-up for another one of Colin's polls...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Dog Deever on 21 July, 2021, 12:32:03 AM
I thought this was a heads-up for another one of Colin's polls...

Don't tempt him.

on second thoughts, please do...would be a lot of fun.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

davidbishop

James Stacey

Dash Decent

Quote from: davidbishop on 21 July, 2021, 05:16:45 PM
Bury My Knee.

Bury My Knee has to be in there.  And although I've got it in at least two other books, "Finger of Suspicion".  I'd love to see both in the same volume.

There's a few preview pages up on the webshop entry.  "Father Earth" is the only one with a title showing, though I should know all of them, particularly the Dog Deevers story drawn by Gibson ("Full Mental Jacket"?).  Great to see one of Carlos Ezquerra's giant Cursed Earth spiders in there too.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Max Headroom

Wonder what the repro on 'Father Earth' will be like? Did Rebellion ever get hold of some new scans for this story? Previous editions were not great.

O Lucky Stevie!

This collection is just of John Wagner's Dredd work because including Verdus & Song of the Surfer would have made this book weight a ton, right?

Quote from: James Stacey on 21 July, 2021, 05:18:09 PM
Bury My Knee.
If that's not in there it's a misnamed book

Quote from: Dash Decent on 04 December, 2021, 03:01:02 AM
Bury My Knee has to be in there.  And although I've got it in at least two other books, "Finger of Suspicion".  I'd love to see both in the same volume.

Same goes with Little Spuggy's Christmas.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 04 December, 2021, 03:01:02 AM
Bury My Knee.

There's a few preview pages up on the webshop entry.  "Father Earth" is the only one with a title showing, though I should know all of them, particularly the Dog Deevers story drawn by Gibson ("Full Mental Jacket"?).  Great to see one of Carlos Ezquerra's giant Cursed Earth spiders in there too.

I've banged on about this ad nauseum before, but I still say it's one of the best Dredd stories ever.  Similar to, and as good as, Taxi-Driver-era Scorsese.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Contents... not including the bonus section

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

GoGilesGo

Kudos to whoever put this together. An impossible task since "The Best of" John Wagner would more or less encompass everything he has ever done.

Nice mix of

• Mega City Zaniness (Sob Story, Full Mental Jacket)
  • Mega City Will Grind You Down (The Runner, Finger of Suspicion)
  • Detective Dredd (Cal Files)
  • Reflective Dredd (In the Bath, Class of '79, Death of a Legend, Bury my Heart)
  • Dredd playing cameo to a formidable foe (the trio of PJ stories)

Get Jerry Sing is the only odd one. Bit of a throwaway story but presume the inclusion is because it was the last ever Carlos.

Anthony Garnon

Exactly - the Get Jerry Sing script is also one of the extras.

davidbishop

Very happy to see Bury in there, not to mention the complete story in the extras, a particular favourite!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: davidbishop on 24 March, 2022, 08:40:53 AM
Very happy to see Bury in there, not to mention the complete story in the extras, a particular favourite!

That and Death of a Legend are probably my two favourite Dredd one-offs.