Main Menu

Apocalypse War Dossier (novel) - released November 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 14 February, 2022, 01:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Apocalypse War Dossier - Paperback (novel), 440 pages, 8th November 2022
By  John Ware

Mega City One it's a powderkeg waiting to blow on its best day.

There isn't a moment when tentions aren't running high and the City isn't ready to crack.

But there's something new going on something, something bad it's a block war. It's Block Mania and no one is immune, not even the Judges.

But this is all prelude to invasion.

The East-Meg One Sov's have infected Mega City One with Block-Mania to throw the city into massive, bloody turf wars.

There are troops on the ground, bombs are dropping and the Mega City One is on fire.

And the Judges are drawing the line and Mega City One is about to burn.

Apocalypse War tells the on the ground stories of the Judges in Mega City One during the events of epic Block Mania and Apocalyse War story arch.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Rogue Judge

Sign me up! Just finishing up the Rico Dredd novel, LOVE it! More 2000AD novels please!

Lawman of the Present

I've not found it stated specifically but I presume this is an omnibus version of the three Apocalypse War novellas recently released? Looking forward to it. With the early years mined now (Dredd 1-3, Anderson 1-2) I wonder if this heralds a new phase of novellas set between the panels of existing stories?

I've some reservations over this; stories returning to canon's past with some form of 'untold story' often lead to retcons or glaring continuity errors (my favourite example so far would be the Big Finish audio drama, "Pre-Emptive Revenge", set in the aftermath of Judgement Day, which ends with Dredd [spoiler]speaking over airwaves with Judge Inspector Sadu, despite Sadu having sacrificed himself to stop Sabbat[/spoiler]).

I also highly enjoyed Rico Dredd, though think the Fall of Deadworld might be my overall favourite so far. It's a nice change in tone and genre from the rest. While enjoyable, perhaps I find the Judges stories more of a mixed bag personally, with Michael Carroll's chapters consistently being the most engaging.

Given how the Rico book turned out, I wonder if some form of early years Angel Gang trilogy might work. Perhaps a story giving Link a bit more character, another telling Fink's departure, and a third leading up to Mean's surgery?

Dash Decent

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 31 August, 2022, 08:03:46 PM
I've not found it stated specifically but I presume this is an omnibus version of the three Apocalypse War novellas recently released?

I haven't seen anything concrete, but I'm positive that will be the case.  All these paperbacks like the "Rico" one you mentioned, plus the recent "Judges" series are all made up of three stories initially released as individual novellas.  And we know there are exactly three Apoc War novellas on their way.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 31 August, 2022, 08:03:46 PM
Given how the Rico book turned out, I wonder if some form of early years Angel Gang trilogy might work. Perhaps a story giving Link a bit more character, another telling Fink's departure, and a third leading up to Mean's surgery?

Dunno about that - not sure how engaging the Angels will be with a pre-op Mean...

Lawman of the Present

I know what you mean, they can seem a bit one-note. Though, I thought Angelic did a good job of fleshing out Pa (even if it's an alternate universe), and reckon there's plenty material/suggested history for a good writer to work with.

Tell the stories from Mean's perspective. A pre-op Mean as main protagonist would allow the others to remain simplistic, as they're juxtaposed against a sympathetic reader-analogue, who intentionally doesn't fit in. Almost like 'Harry Potter vs the Dursleys' on steroids, except we know Mean is doomed to an unhappy ending.

Have the rest of the gang as antagonists, but maybe bring in Mama Mojo's inbred clan from Missionary Man as the villains. It was inferred that the Angels had encountered them at some point and more than met their match.

JohnW

Just got my author's complementary copies, and was dismayed to see that a typesetting error has done away with all my italics.
I shouldn't complain too loudly. When I signed up for this I didn't even know if I'd be having any editorial input at all.
However, if occasional emphasis by italicisation is what turns you on, then I hate to be the one to harsh your buzz.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

I'm sure I'll have great fun playing the guessing game of where the italics would have been.

JohnW

Once you've bought it, it's your book.
You can put the italics wherever you like.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Richard

How annoying for you! Sorry to hear that.

Surprised they didn't involve you in proof-reading before going to press.

JohnW

I proofread that baby to hell and back.
Don't know what happened after I signed off on it, mind.
Bloody gremlins.

JohnW

Rebellion will shortly announce that the italicisation issue is to be remedied for the Apocalypse War Dossier: First Anniversary Edition, forthcoming in 2023, and featuring slipcase, original scripts, critical essays and creator interviews, with an introduction by the late Soviet Defence Minister, Yevgeny Shaposhnikov.

I'm certain of it.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JWare on 28 October, 2022, 10:46:03 AM
the late Soviet Defence Minister, Yevgeny Shaposhnikov Traktorfaktori.

Fixed that for you.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

JohnW

On the typesetting issue, it seems I've unfairly maligned the editors. It's really only the second volume that's wonky.
Italics enthusiasts everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief.