Main Menu

45th anniversary online convention!

Started by Richmond Clements, 16 February, 2022, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Rebellion is delighted to announce The Galaxy's Greatest: 2000 AD at 45 – a star-studded online convention celebrating four and a half decades of the groundbreaking British comic!

Featuring celebrity fans and legendary creators, The Galaxy's Greatest will stream online and for free on 26 and 27 March on 2000 AD's social media channels and YouTube, and Rebellion's dedicated Twitch stream.

The two-day show will feature top flight guests on more than a dozen panels, all discussing the impact of 2000 AD on comics and culture over almost half a century, as well as announcements and new merchandise.

Info here: https://2000ad.com/news/star-studded-online-convention-to-celebrate-45-years-of-2000-ad/

broodblik

At least something that I can also "attend"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Oh this is very exciting. I mean shame its online but understandable and it means loads of folks can play.

Wonderful stuff. Looking forward to it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: broodblik on 16 February, 2022, 06:43:45 PM

Was just thinking the opposite. Social bloody media *Gen X grumbling*

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2022, 08:57:06 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 16 February, 2022, 06:43:45 PM

Was just thinking the opposite. Social bloody media *Gen X grumbling*

I would love to attend one of these events in person (but distance is a killer). Doing something online vs real-life event is not the same. I am planning to make a huge effort on the 50th to actually attend but that is still a few years away
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I think this is great to see. Yes, there are benefits to real-world cons. But right now, we're still in the middle of a pandemic, regardless of what the Tories would have you say. And so an online thing makes sense, along with having the added benefit of being inclusive.

Proudhuff

and 45% off the last couple of years Progs and megazines in the shop if anyone has holes to fill or wants to jump back on the megazine train.
DDT did a job on me

AlexF

Being a total savage, I am unclear if there are going to be live events that I can tune into on some/all platforms, or if it'll be a bunhc of prerocred things I can then watch at my leisure later, or a bit of both?
Are we expecting a more detailed breakdown of which panels will happen at which dates/times, and how to find them?
I can handle YouTube, Twitch might be beyond me...

Colin YNWA

And the list of guests keep coming

https://2000ad.com/2000ad-45th-anniversary/

This is only a proportion if the guests from all sorts of fields announced. MPs, journalists, comedians and more, Its a rich line-up of all sorts of folks that from my reading will inspire some very interesting and different panels...

...and there seems to be the problem. With each announcement a new guest who isn't a creator, Facebook (the Official site being my reference) just brings out the worst of fandom. Gatekeeping of the highest order. The conservative nature (small c) of some fans just flying to the fore. Its embarrassing. And of course it reaches its peak if one of those guests dares to not have a Y chromosome.

Now its fair to say it was probably best to ignore all this, but its so consistant, and so depressing I thought I'd raise it here, in the hope that by reflecting on it we can have the more sensible discussion?

GordonR

There's been some fairly appalling attitudes aired in the comments on these announcements on the 2000AD FB page.  And you're absolutely right - they're especially prevalent around women guests at the event.

I think - for maybe the first time ever - the decision was taken to ban the worst offenders from the page.

You can probably listen to some of them whining/boasting about it in their regular 2000AD podcast.

Funt Solo

I'm not sure of his relevance to 2000 AD, but he's got a lovely smile! Remember the good old days when 2000 AD wouldn't have had an organized convention because they were too busy throwing original art into a skip and pissing on it in a fun, anarchic way. The only way to save this debacle is to have Pat Mills take over by ushering all the guests into a large wicker-man and sacrificing them to the great worm! Like they used to do ... in the good old days.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Ian Livingstone, co-founder of Fighting Fantasy, is someone from the guest list I've actually met. He's a really lovely guy. I played him at Virtua Tennis during the opening of the videogame museum that at the time was in Nottingham. (I was that journalist who correctly identified Agent 4125 in a section on platform games, while every other hack there gave me a kind of withering look. Still, I was happy.)

IndigoPrime

As for the rest of it, the responses have been appalling to, notably, Desiree Burch and Stella Creasy. The latter turned into the usual suspects attempting to pivot to "because she's an MP", whereupon they all laid into Alex Sobel as well. It's all very sad, but then that mob seem hell-bent on bringing down shit on something they claim to have at least once loved.

To my mind, I'm finding the guest list really interesting. Usually, these things are a bunch of creators—and that's great. I enjoy hearing people talk about their craft, and we will get plenty of that here. But to widen it out to the aforementioned people and folks like Robin Ince and Ian Dunt should make for panels that give us something different too. I'm looking forward to it.

Tjm86

The joys of 'anti-social' media.  <sigh>.  Mind you, a quick scan of the megaverse page did raise a few smiles with some of the parodies posted.  Rod Hull and Emu ... one quite surprising Spanish one ... certainly didn't expect that one.

Be interested to find out why Creasy is included.  Wonder if she will be allowed to have her bairn with her.

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 March, 2022, 09:17:01 PM
I'm not sure of his relevance to 2000 AD

Well, he designed the Judge Dredd board game (the one with the Brian Bolland box art and the Ian Gibson board), which gives him more of a connection than some of the guests.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!