Main Menu

45th anniversary online convention!

Started by Richmond Clements, 16 February, 2022, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 24 March, 2022, 09:08:23 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 March, 2022, 10:40:47 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 21 March, 2022, 09:50:13 AM
And this convention seems to be that but populated by people who one can expect to say things that are funny and insigthful because they have to be those two things on a professional level, even if it isn't as 2000AD creators.

Its this exactly. I do wonder if there is an element if subconsious jealousy amongst these that naysay the range of commentators present. i.e. "Well if they're just a fan why aren't I allowed to do it. Who are they to be ble to express their views over and above me, me, I, I.".

TBF rebellion missed a trick by not asking you to chair a 'which panel was the greatest Panel, Panel'

Oh it will happen, it will happen...

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 March, 2022, 09:15:45 AM
Apparently, the panels will later go up on YouTube.
That's one advantage that a virtual convention has over a real one. Back in ye olden days, if two panels you wanted to see at UKCAC or wherever were on at the same time, then you were out of luck.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Colin YNWA

Anyone playing along this morning. I'm at a swimming gala with the girl child but will be watching as much as possible, including the kick off in a couple of minutes.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 21 March, 2022, 09:50:13 AM
For what it's worth, I happen to know one of the less famous names on the guest list (Kids author Louie Stowell) and can attest that she's as big a 2000Ad fan as any of them (although she's actually a bigger Oink! fan at heart :) ). I lok forward to hearing her weigh in on whatever discussion she's part of!

Oink! has already been mentioned!

sheridan

Just so it's all in one place (and so we can look back in future months) here's the full schedule as of now:

Quote from: Tharg
EVENT SCHEDULE

Saturday Main Stream

12pm – Authors on 2000 AD: Robin Ince (Host), Ian Rankin, Lauren Beukes, Louie Stowell
1pm – The Crisis Generation: Torunn Gronbekk (Host), John McCrea, Sean Phillips, Garth Ennis
2pm – Comics & Politics: Mike Molcher (Host), Ian Dunt, Alex Sobel, Stella Creasy
3pm – Next Gen Writers: Mike Molcher (Host), Alex de Campi, Ales Kot, Rob Williams
4pm – Audio Adaptations: Desiree Burch (Host), Nathaniel Tapley, Chris Thomp
5pm – Pat Mills: interviewed by Oliver Pickles
6pm – John Wagner: interviewed by Mike Molcher

Sunday Main Stream

12pm – 2000 AD: The Next 45 Years: Mike Molcher (Host), Ben Smith, Jason Kingsley, Chris Kingsley, Matt Smith
1pm – New Artists: Mike Molcher (Host), Tom Foster, Korinna Mei Veropoulou, Dan Cornwell, Anna Morozova
2pm – Comics & Satire: Toby Venebles (Host), Dane Baptiste, Mitch Benn, Joel Morris
2.50pm – The Art of Colour & Letters: Mike Molcher (Host), Sally Jane Hurst, Annie Parkhouse, Jim Campbell, Chris Blythe
3.55pm – 2000 AD Art Legends: Mike Molcher (Host), Mick McMahon, Brian Bolland, Vincent Deighan (Frank Quitely), Jock
4.50pm – 2000 AD: The Great Game(s): Mike Molcher (Host), Andy Chambers, Ian Livingstone, Duncan Molloy
5.55pm – Judge Dredd RPG Playthrough: Grant Howitt (Host), Al Ewing, Pj Holden, Jen Vaughn

Fringe (On YouTube)

Saturday 12pm – 2000 AD: Beyond Borders: Kelly Kanayama (Host), Arthur Wyatt, Michael Carroll, Chris Burnham
Saturday 2pm – 2000 AD: Beyond the Pages: Sarah Morgan (Host), Rowan Hooper, David Quantick
Saturday 4pm – Critics on 2000 AD: Tom Shapira (Host), Tiffany Babb, Chloe Maveal, Zack Quaintance
Saturday 5pm – The Writer's Journey: Kelly Kanayama (Host), Al Ewing, Tom Eglington, Ramsey Hassan

Sunday 12pm – The Changing Face of Art: Scott Weatherley (Host), Chris Weston, Jake Lynch, Simon Davis, Steve Yeowell
Sunday 2pm – On the Brink: Tom Shapira (Host), Dan Abnett, INJ Culbard
Sunday 5pm – Fantasy Nerve Centre: Scott Weatherley (Host), Simon Fraser, PJ Holden, Liana Kangas

Richmond Clements

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 March, 2022, 12:58:31 PM
Cracking opening panel!
Haven't seen it yet... I was too musy watching Kelly, Arthur, Chris and myself on the YouTube channel!

== Mike

Rackle

Sheridan and I are enjoying the discussions so far. I love how varied the conversations have been.

IndigoPrime

I loved Stella Creasy reeling off her comics history. Take that, knee-jerk haters!

Mike Carroll

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 March, 2022, 04:12:43 PM
I loved Stella Creasy reeling off her comics history. Take that, knee-jerk haters!
Agreed -- I don't think I've ever heard of her before, but she comes across really well. It was a great panel -- very entertaining!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 26 March, 2022, 04:21:11 PM
Agreed -- I don't think I've ever heard of her before, but she comes across really well. It was a great panel -- very entertaining!

Yep I'll echo all of that. Didn't know her but she was great on that panel, as was Ian Dunt. Fav one so far. Loving this and looking forward to catching up with the fun I've missed, While I miss a physical convention his is a great way to be able to see everything you want at your own pass...

...oh and I'm not spending more money than is sensible... though I will go buy a t-shirt ...

Funt Solo

Enjoying watching that panel now.

The modern idea (quite prolific in certain quarters) that all politicians are simply beneath our contempt, despite their personality or their affiliation - the idea that they're less than human (you know - the idea that they couldn't be both a politician and someone who likes comics at the same time) is so very narrow minded and dangerous - just so ignorant. Of course, at the extreme it leads to violence against them - which is just chaos.

Quite how we get "fans" who can't handle politics being linked to the comic, but who still hark back to a mythic golden era don't seem to realize that the comic's always been anti-authoritarian.

Relentlessly bullying the comic's creators, the comic's editorial staff, the comic's current output and any fans who don't live up to some ill-defined mythic ideals, and not being able to accept any sort of counter is authoritarian in its nature.

The nature of the online system is that people with Farcebook-shaped megaphones get to create and maintain a toxic narrative that skews away from most people's experience. In response to an argument like mine they'll say "oh, so we're not allowed to criticize anything?" - but that's not what I've actually said. You could use constructive criticism, and "it's shit without Wagner" just won't cut it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Caught the politics one, the next Gen one, Mills one and was interrupted in the Wagner one due to dinner (try and catch this on the YouTube later). For the most part I enjoyed the discussions and took bits from all and hope to catch up on the others I've missed.

I'd be interested in what their total "views" end up being and what they would consider a success.   

Hopefully catch a couple "live" tomorrow but it is supposed to be another nice day up here in Cal-Hab
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Art

Probably goes without saying, but the Wagner interview is really great and essential listening.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Art on 26 March, 2022, 07:12:24 PM
Probably goes without saying, but the Wagner interview is really great and essential listening.

Yeah, this is pure gold!