Main Menu

Robin of Sherwood - The Complete LOOK IN Comics - coming May 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 28 February, 2022, 03:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leethomson

Quote from: rpwillis on 27 May, 2022, 12:53:35 PM
Mine has just landed today, lovely book.
Missed mine :( Will have to wait until Monday to pick it up from the sorting office.

sheridan

Quote from: The Corinthian on 02 March, 2022, 11:20:33 PM
Quote from: leethomson on 01 March, 2022, 03:12:15 PM
Hope this paves the way for more Look-In remasters.

It sounds like this is very much a one-off, as negotiating the rights to other series would be a long and thankless task. But there's some amazing stuff in 'Look-In' that ought to be back in print in a more permanent form, most obviously Arthur Ranson's 'Sapphire & Steel'.

That crossed my mind too - Robin of Sherwood was a creator-owned piece by somebody who wanted to keep the IP alive.  The same cannot be said of the majority of other work that would have been produced for Look-In (not that I have a list to refer to or anything, I've just read about Robin of Sherwood in the past).

Robin Low

Mine arrived Friday - very nice piece of work. I was rarely a reader of Look-in, but suffer badly from nostalgia, so this stuff is just fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see the Catweazle series given this treatment, although I don't know how much of it there actually was. I never watched it on TV, but I read Richard Carpenter's novelisations of the two series a couple of years ago and thought they were really good fun. (It would be really, really easy to do a proper, modern, sequel following on directly from the end of the original, probably staring Mackenzie Crook.)

Regards,

Robin

M.I.K.

Quote from: Robin Low on 29 May, 2022, 12:00:20 PM
I'd like to see the Catweazle series given this treatment, although I don't know how much of it there actually was. I never watched it on TV, but I read Richard Carpenter's novelisations of the two series a couple of years ago and thought they were really good fun. (It would be really, really easy to do a proper, modern, sequel following on directly from the end of the original, probably staring Mackenzie Crook.)

There was apparently a cinematic German remake last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fA9nEsm0kE

Robin Low

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 May, 2022, 05:30:34 PM

Thanks - I think I might have seen the teaser, but I'd not seen that one. Looks like a pretty good kids' movie.

I've just had a look at the German reviews - a lot of positivity not only for this movie, but also for the original series. Some very negative ones, too, but even these seem to love the original. Obviously has a little bit of a German following.

Regards,

Robin

Proudhuff

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 May, 2022, 05:30:34 PM

That looks enjoyable
DDT did a job on me

The Corinthian

Does everyone's copy have the page 34/36 printing error or is it just mine?

leethomson

Quote from: The Corinthian on 07 June, 2022, 08:41:26 AM
Does everyone's copy have the page 34/36 printing error or is it just mine?
I don't see anything wrong. What's the error?

The Corinthian

The pages are the wrong way round in my copy. Page 34 is the first half of part three of this particular story, while Page 36 is the first page of part two.

Pages 35 and 37 are correctly placed, so I actually have to read Page 36, then Page 35, then Page 34 - then jump back to Page 37 - to get these two episodes in the right order.

leethomson

Ah, I thought it was something egregiously obvious, like pages being upside down. I've checked again and the problem is in my copy too, after all.

The Corinthian

Ah, I thought it might make my copy extra rare and valuable. Curses.

The Corinthian

So, I've finished this and it's great. The stories stand up surprisingly well and the art is beautiful and beautifully reproduced.

My one very minor complaint is that they reprint a lot of Look-In feature articles as an appendix but not the text story from the 1984 Winter Special, but I can't say that I'm losing sleep over that!

Barrington Boots

Bit of a necropost, but for reasons I ended up missing this, then getting the softback and have finally finished it.

Beautiful book, the art is wonderful and brilliantly reproduced. The stories are good, although they do read a bit like they were written for a generic Robin Hood strip and then drawn to fit RoS: I expected the lack of violence (and the notes explains why nobody ever fires a bow at anyone else) but Robin's band has about thirty guys in it, Nasir may as well not exist and and Marion barely features, Herne isn't in it much (no paganism or mysticism at all) and Robin is always riding horses about. It's got plenty of derring-do but lacks a lot of the elements that made Robin of Sherwood something special.

That said, terrific book and an obvious labour of love. With this and the John M Burns drawn Tomorrow People collection, I'm hopeful we can eventually see more Look In content resurface in this way.
You're a dark horse, Boots.