Main Menu

The Original V.C's

Started by johnone, 05 July, 2006, 04:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnone

Ok I for one did not like the New V.C'S  and am personally glad its over , what I would like to know is this , Is there a chance of an ee reprint of the Original V.C's (fer gods sake you reprinted Ant Wars!!!)to let newer readers see what the original(and still the best) looked like , I know it hasn't been reprinted bt 2000 ad in over Eighteen years!  so surely its time , Do other Members of the forum think the same?I believe it deserves ro be seen again.

And if Rebellion doesn't, does anyone know whether there were american reprints ever published or if its possible to get the titan collections?

The Amstor Computer

It certainly deserves a reprint, and I hope it will be in book format. The EEs are great for some material, but I think the VCs deserves a book reprint.

I could care less whether the new series ever gets reprinted again.

I, Cosh

The original series is damn good stuff and well worth reprinting if it's been out of print for that long. I have the Titan volumes, but I'm not selling.
If they do reprint it, I insist that this fantastic cover is used...http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/graphicnovels/hires/vc1.jpg">
We never really die.

Rob Spalding

I would like to read the original V.C's.
Never really clicked with the new one.

Radbacker

never read the original but un like some others i quite enjoy the new one and would also love to read the original series even if its only to see how much better than the current stuff it supposedly is.
Like that cover any idea on the artist, looks kinda Simpsonish?

CU Radbacker

skull.ring

Hi Radbacker,

The cover artist is Gary Leach.

The original artwork is actually for sale on the Artdroids website.

Cheers

Mark

Link: http://artdroids.co.uk/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4148&ArtistId=637&Details=0&From=Room" target="_blank">Treat Yourself !

The Adventurer

I for one LOVE the current V.Cs. Fantastic action Space Opera. And I stick by that.

Unfortunatly I've yet to read the original, but I certainly want too.

Personaly I'd love to see a TP, Maybe a two Volume run, Vol.1 with the original and Dan Abnett's Book 1 (as they're both Black and White) and a Book 2 with the rest of Abnett's run.

I'm pretty much cream my pants if that was announced.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

VCs never clicked with me originally, it has to be said. I recently grabbed the Best Of 2000 ADs with the reprint in, and I think I re-sold them on eBay after reading them and going "meh". That said, the story's still better than the revamped version, if only because it's much pacier and wasn't dragged out over 3255 books (well, that's how many it seemed to have). Personally, I'm just glad it's all over (for now?cue spooky music).

Jonathan O

There will be a GN of the original VCs next year. Date to be confirmed.

J

paulvonscott

Indigo, I feel pretty much the same way.  I'm a huge GFD fan, and remember getting the titan books after hearing people rave about the VC's and... not being too keen.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's just one of those stories that never really clicked for me.  I have the original titans (won't sell just because it's part of my GFD collection, so don't ask).

Good it's getting rereleased though, it's hard to get and quite sought after.

+rufus+

"The cover artist is Gary Leach.
The original artwork is actually for sale on the Artdroids website. "

It' s just sold, although I do have interior VCs pages by Garry, for sale.

www.artdroids.co.uk

:-) Rufus

Radbacker

STOP TEMPTING ME :)
I'm gonna start a collection of original art but must wait for the finances to clear a bit(just brought a new car).
Well I'll probably get the GN when it comes out now too.

CU Radbacker

Funt Solo

The VCs is one of the strips that got me hooked on 2000AD in the first place.

Things that stand out from my childhood recollections:  the spikey pyramid drop-pods, the trippy jester computer, Loon's sacrifice and the fact that the troopers didn't always get along (to put it mildly).  

Because I came into 2000AD half way through the series, I was compelled to buy the Titan collections (also not for sale) - and the cover shown above is wonderful - here's the other one:

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/graphicnovels/hires/vc2.jpg" alt="VCs" />

As a sit-down read, it doesn't play so well, because  the episodes are only 4 pages long, and tend to have a recap - so it sorts of stutters and repeats itself every 4 pages.  If you could force yourself to read an episode, then wait for a day or so...well, who knows?

---

The new series, I thought, started off very well.  It was a reflection (I can't remember now which came first) of the new Battlestar Galactica - everyone thinks that old war-horses like Smith aren't needed anymore - then the enemy returns!

Even the series where they get stranded out on some asteroid and Kali got offed (is that right?) was still holding up the terror of the Geek threat vs. an unready humanity.

It was a great start - but then it had to have an over-arcing alien menace pulling everyone's strings.  That's a tempting way out of a plot that isn't going anywhere.

In the original, the generals were idiotic bastards - kinda like 'Nam In Space - and that caused some great tension.  The VCs were arguing with each other, fighting the Geeks, fighting their own commanders - there was no let up.  In the modern version, the commanders aren't characters - just nameless lackeys pointing at screens, the VCs are a little gruff with each other (ooh, hark at her) and the Geeks kind of got side-lined in favour of galactic bounty-hunters with stupid hair and floating face-gods.  Bah!
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

+rufus+

Yeah that's my favourite Cover too (#2), Mr. Funt.
 I was lucky enough to buy it from Garry!
 If Rebellion do need to rescan it, or Cam's Original B&W Cover to Prog 155, just holler!
:-) Rufus

Bolt-01

Actually, I'm not so precious about the old books. They are a lovely collection and if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer I'll part with them.

Bolt-01