Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

nIGHTWITCHES - I think I shall pop in and purchase it.

Finished Volume 1 of The Boys.  Very good stuff. Some of it definitely gratuitous bt overall not.  I did particularly like:

Starlighter: But... but you're the Seven

[spoiler]Yes, and we'd like our dicks sucked.[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

TordelBack

Just read issues 1-26 of The Boys over the weekend.  Holy crap, it is brilliant.  I'm not Ennis' biggest fan (didn't like Preacher, dislike all but a significant handful of his Dredds etc.), but this is a masterpiece - Powers meets Brat Pack meets Troubled Souls meets Shaun of the Dead.  The cover to issue 18 may just be the greatest thing I have seen in the world of comics in years, and the 9-11 story was terrific.  I can't believe I now have to wait weeks on end for the next issue...

I also had occasion to read 0-3 of Crossed, which I thought were equally fantastic, although obviously a long way to go to see if it can be sustained beyond this appropriately sickening opening.  

What's happening to me, I used to hate all that pervy ultra-violence crap Ennis churns out.  I blame Obama.

satchmo

A chance re-read of Welcome Back, Frank last week has got me hoovering up Punisher Max issues on eBay like there's no tomorrow. The Boys is next.

Trout

I got the first Punisher MAX hardback for Christmas and it's fucking tremendous, in a Marvelesque Saint of Killers sort of way.

- Trout

Proudhuff

After just saying elsewhere I'm down to one US comic now I go in and pick up War is Hell, enjoyable but can't help thinking of Time Squared with that artwork.
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Well, King Trout leant me THE BOYS up to issue 26 and I've just finished reading them in 3 or 4 installments on my daily commute.

A Therapist would have a field day with Mister Ennis I'm sure.  

There are so many brilliant ideas in the stories that it's hrd to list my favourites.  Some of it seems to be playing to the "gross out" movie crowd though, and some just seems to be there to see how much outrage can be caused.  There's plenty for conspiracy theory nuts to get a handle on and also plenty for your just to sit back and think "Yes - that's spot on" e.g. "then comes the peice of footage they love showing you and that no New Yorker ever wants to see again".

Some clunky plot holes - possibly resolved in later issues. Given VAs ability to manipulate the media, I'd have thought HOMELANDER would have just killed Frank first opportunity he got and trust any psothumously released blackmail material to be covered up.

But I love the, I'm not going to say SUBTEXT because it's so in your face, whole "I hate superhero comics, me" feel to it.  (especially as I quite like some of them).

And me. I must admit, the experience of some 26 issues of THE BOYS back to back can be likened somewhat to sex

I found it funny, gross, full of cocks, dirty, exciting, bouncing with breasts, kinky, touching, full of the exchange of bodily fluids and all sorts of things were done in all sorts of positions and at the end of it, I felt slightly ashamed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pete Wells

Yeah, The Boys is great but sometimes I wish I knew more about American comics so I could get all the references in there, I'm sure I'f like it even more! I was re-reading my TPB of volume 2 just last night and wondered if anyone can shed some light on this little rant; It's when Hughie meets 'The Legend' under the comicshop for the first time. The Legend says (I'm quoting here so apologies for the offensive language used):

"I hate all that comic book crap! Reminds me of those cocksuckers I outlived... Did I ever tell you about those fucks? That faggot they named the awards after... and that godamned ingrate had the balls to sue me -- what's the matter, Buddy, little dark in there...? Someone had to be in charge goddamnit!"

I assume the first half of the sentence is some kind of pop at Will Eisner, but who or what is the second half all about? Does anyone know the gossip?

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Yeah, The Boys is great but sometimes I wish I knew more about American comics so I could get all the references in there, I'm sure I'f like it even more! I was re-reading my TPB of volume 2 just last night and wondered if anyone can shed some light on this little rant; It's when Hughie meets 'The Legend' under the comicshop for the first time. The Legend says (I'm quoting here so apologies for the offensive language used):

"I hate all that comic book crap! Reminds me of those cocksuckers I outlived... Did I ever tell you about those fucks? That faggot they named the awards after... and that godamned ingrate had the balls to sue me -- what's the matter, Buddy, little dark in there...? Someone had to be in charge goddamnit!"

I assume the first half of the sentence is some kind of pop at Will Eisner, but who or what is the second half all about? Does anyone know the gossip?

Haven't read The Boys yet. I was afraid it was Ennis being shrill again. (The comments on this thread give me hope.) So I'm not sure who Legend is.  If he's sort of a Superman stand-in (like we needed more) my guess is that it refers to Jerry Siegel's suing of DC over the right's (or was it royalties) to superman.

And there's more where that came from come to think of it. Stan Lee also sued Marvel over money due for Spiderman profits. Kirby sued Marvel to get his original artwork back (reasonable enough). Marv Wolfman sued Marvel over the character Blade to which he said he had the right's. Joel Simon is suing Marvel over the right's to Captain America which he co-created with Kirby in the forties. There is a massive Bleak House like sue-all over the rights to Miracleman going on as we speak. Americans: we breath, we litigate.

I think Alan Moore said it best when answering a question as to why he wouldn't work for the big two:"I don't see the characters, I just see a long line of dying old men who never got the money they were due."

Trout

Hee hee!

Glad you liked them!

- Trout

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Ignatzmonster"I'm not sure who Legend is. If he's sort of a Superman stand-in
Only if the last son of Krypton was a bitter foul-mouthed midget comic chop owner!

TordelBack

Having had time to reflect on my recent The Boys marathon, I'm more convinced than ever that it's Ennis' masterpiece.  I just wish the bastards would make more faster.

Pete Wells

I really love The Boys and I think the characters within it are great but I loved Jessie and Tulip, I really loved 'em. I've never rooted for a relationship between fictional characters like I did for them, it was metal! Where many baulked at the last episode of Preacher I was just so happy, anything less than the sickly sweet ending would have been a travesty in my humble opinion.

So, I think The Boys is a masterpiece, but Preacher was the masterpiece.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: "dandontdare"
Quote from: "Ignatzmonster"I'm not sure who Legend is. If he's sort of a Superman stand-in
Only if the last son of Krypton was a bitter foul-mouthed midget comic chop owner!

Robertson looks alot like Rick Veitch in this panel.

Radbacker

Boy's is Fn brilliant, I hear its a limited series too so definate start middle and end which is always good to hear.
just started book 3 the other day interesting to see Lil hughie relationship with Godgirl(Starlight).  

CU Radbacker