Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Oh dear, Tordelback! Having been in your situation many times before, I feel your pain on that score. (On one occasion, the disturbance lasted the entire three days and nights of a Bank Holiday.  >:( )

IMHO, house alarms are an absolute scourge on society. Regardless of whatever draconian and deranged legislation your Autocratic Highness might enact in the future, you would get my vote for Supreme Leader if your first act in power was to ban the use of those noise sirens.

Hope that you won't have to undergo the disturbance for much longer.

TordelBack

Cheers, Paddy.

And yet,  Hour 50 approaches. I wonder if any of our baton-happy Gardaí would take time off from bating youths to address this ongoing disturbance. To act, as it were, as guardians of the peace.

Despite a mountain of uncompleted work, Bank Holiday crowds filling the hills with badly parked cars, and a pair of headphones now permanently welded to my head, I'm going Out.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Well, if the alarm keeps going and everybody's just trying to ignore it, that's basically an invitation to go in and help yourself to their TV or whatever?
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Ah, that's shit Tordelback. Had a similar thing with a car alarm outside our living room window years ago. Passing coppers just shrugged their shoulders and the battery wouldn't die. By the end, neighborhood youths were taking flying kicks at it while I applauded from my balcony but it didn't really help.
We never really die.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Mister Pops on 06 June, 2021, 12:43:50 PM
Well, if the alarm keeps going and everybody's just trying to ignore it, that's basically an invitation to go in and help yourself to their TV or whatever?

Spot on, if there's no response then surely it's house-robbing time!
Please tell us it's no longer going off.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

No idea what the deal is with house alarms, but for cars there are circumstances in which the council can try to disable the alarm, including breaking windows to force entry.
QuoteWhat will the Council do to deal with a noisy car?
If an alarm is reported and has been sounding for some time, then investigations will be made to try and trace the owner.

If this fails, or the owner is not contactable, then legal action is likely to be taken.  This involves serving a notice on the vehicle, and if the alarm is not silenced (normally within an hour), then the Council will arrange for the vehicle to be entered and the alarm disconnected.  If this is not possible the vehicle can be towed away to a suitable place in order to silence the alarm

The registered owner of the vehicle will be informed of the action taken and will be charged the costs incurred.

Who has to pay if a car alarm has to be silenced?
The Council has the powers to recover any costs from the owner or the keeper of the vehicle involved.  The costs incurred may include having to forcibly enter the vehicle, or remove it to a suitable place in order to silence the alarm.

Ah-hah!  For the UK at least (Northampton in particular, but I imagine the same applies to other boroughs) noise pollution - burglar alarms

QuoteEnsure that your alarm is fitted with a cut-off device to deactivate the siren or bell after 20 minutes.
Ensure that at least one of your nominated key holders can respond within 20 minutes of being called out.
What happens when the Council gets involved when an alarm causes a statutory nuisance?
Once the Police are satisfied that there is no criminal activity taking place at the premises, and the Council is satisfied that the noise of the alarm is causing a statutory nuisance, then a legal notice will be served requiring the alarm to be silenced - normally within a short period of time.  If this is not complied with then an application will be made to the Duty Magistrate for a warrant to enter the premises.

The Council will engage the services of a locksmith and an electrician, and they will obtain access to the premises and disconnect the alarm.  The Council will ensure that upon leaving, the premises is left in a secure condition.  This whole process may take several hours.

Who has to pay if an alarm has to be disconnected?
The costs incurred by the council during this process will be recharged to the occupier of the premises.  This can be expensive and will include the Council's costs, the costs of the locksmith and the electrician.

paddykafka

If I ruled the World, the offending occupier / owner responsible for the noise, would be made to do a Walk-of-Shame around the immediate neighbourhood.

All attending spectators would be given a little bell to ring against the ears of the deviant.

Give the 'effer a taste of their own medicine, as it were...

sheridan

Proudhuff

I did see a Policeman deal with one of these very efficiently with a sweeping brush and a few hefty swipes, to much cheering from the surrounding houses
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

I have to isolate for 6 days. Bugger and arse.
Have been doing rapid antigen tests each day for weeks and feel absolutely fine, so I doubt I've been infected (first shot puts me somewhat more at ease too I might add) and am more frustrated its happened just as the gears of real life where beginning to turn once again.

Dandontdare

Only 6 days? I'm part way through a 10 day isolation - my flat mate (a one-jabber) has come down with it. Felt a bit rough, runny nose, sore throat so went down the test centre and he's positive. He's fine, but we can't even go to the shops till Wednesday. Been self-testing every other day (it's too horrible to do daily) and so far my double-jab is winning the germ-war. Did my first online grocery shop and got a bit carried away, so I could withstand a siege. And an enforced 10 days of no work, comics, weed and netflix ain't too bad.

Hawkmumbler

Indeed the pacing of the isolation seems very arbitrary, I have a coworker who was isolating for 4 days as if that's going to make any difference. Glad you're making it thought DDD, a day later i'm alright. Annoying as it is I get paid for any shifts missed and I can write and drink and smoke pot for most of that time so it'll do.

milstar

I took my first shot of vaccine today. Figured the time is ripe. I had Moderna, which is fine, although I considered Pfizer (AZ no chance). Unfortunately, not all have been that lucky. My Mom who got AZ shot months ago is left empty-handed for the second jab. "Lack of supplies" , sort to speak of. When the new batch of vaccines will arrive, no one knows.

But what worries me here, is the virus so far corroborated ability to mutate. Can't help but  to wonder whether every country in the world will have their own version of covid.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

Viruses mutate all the time, an ongoing process which is just as likely to develop less dangerous variants.

So it's not all doom and gloom.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Anyone who was paying attention and/or in a vulnerable subsect of society during the AIDs epidemic, Sharky, will attest its really not quiet that simple when it comes to immunodeficiency retrovirus'.