Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Has to be said, hardly a good thing was ever said about the EU in this country. When did you ever see an EU flag flying? I've only seen three and that was during the Brexit campaign.

Back in the 80-90s when working in the Netherlands I explained to folks there that some of the press in the UK could be pretty bad. They insisted the Dutch press was as well. On a work trip to the UK this issue of the Sun was on sale on the newsagents on the ferry. Dutch colleagues couldn't believe it. The Sun was urging its readers at midday to look towards Brussels and stick their fingers up and to shout "Frog Off!". Things are not as overt as that now, but still...

So where do we find the Costa Coffee application forms? Because there won't be foreigners keeping us out of those jobs any more.

Or as someone said on Twitter: no more espresso. Back to Mellow Birds.

Satanist

As a Scot I cannot wait for my next pointless "choice"

Do you want...

A- A nice cup of tea and a sit down

B - Entry to The Running Man

Well we voted A but another group want B so better get my lycra jumpsuit on and grab an iron bar.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JOE SOAP

Good news: you can still be part of the Eurovision.

Steve Green

Only if they introduce negative placing.

shaolin_monkey

My partner has asked Leave voters to take her calls from abused children, and explain 'I'm sorry, I can't help you, as I voted Leave, and removed the funding for the service you require.'

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 June, 2016, 12:30:27 PM
My partner has asked Leave voters to take her calls from abused children, and explain 'I'm sorry, I can't help you, as I voted Leave, and removed the funding for the service you require.'

Don't worry — we'll all be getting extra money from Priti Patel's magic money tree. Any time now. Annnny time now...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

8-Ball

The lamps are going out all over the UK, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

ZenArcade

The mood isn't good in NI over this, that's for sure.  This could go pear shaped pretty quickly. Z  :(
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well I voted remain but clearly the country thought otherwise. I think history, English nationalism, fears over immigration plus a desire to give the ruling elites of all political persuasions a bloody nose combined in the perfect storm. The storms and flooding that took place in London is a perfect allegory of what has occurred a wash out for the metropolitan s. Where to next eh?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 24 June, 2016, 01:42:04 PM
Well I voted remain but clearly the country thought otherwise. I think history, English nationalism, fears over immigration plus a desire to give the ruling elites of all political persuasions a bloody nose combined in the perfect storm.

Let's not forget the main ingredients though: Gullibility, bigotry and ignorance.
Being half-English myself, I've always hated Brit-bashing. But this time... Fuck's sake.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

I am genuinely kicking myself for not trying to put money on the whole thing being blamed on Jeremy Corbyn - a man we've been told for the last month hasn't been doing anything, and yet is somehow also now responsible for what has happened.  A vote of No Confidence has been tabled by Margeret Hodge MP, who claims Corbyn didn't do enough for the Remain campaign... Hodge's constituency of Barking and Dagenham voted to Leave the EU by a majority of 63% - the highest in the UK.

Muon

I just want to say, if you voted leave you're a fucking moron.

Did you vote leave and you're reading this? You're a fucking moron.

Did you vote Tory in the last election and then vote leave in the referendum and reading this? You're a double fucking moron.

I really fucking mean it.

I'm trying not to be too personal about this, but you're either of these people you're a fucking moron or a double fucking moron. Lack of education or brainwashing by the press is no excuse. You're a fucking moron or a double fucking moron.

The Legendary Shark

And now, back to the studio...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

Quote from: Bogbrush on 24 June, 2016, 03:42:58 PM

Did you vote Tory in the last election and then vote leave in the referendum and reading this? You're a double fucking moron.

I'm trying not to be too personal about this, but you're either of these people you're a fucking moron or a double fucking moron. Lack of education or brainwashing by the press is no excuse. You're a fucking moron or a double fucking moron.

I'm sure that's the kind of rational argument that would have won over the Leavers.

I voted remain.

Muon

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 June, 2016, 04:04:04 PM
Quote from: Bogbrush on 24 June, 2016, 03:42:58 PM

I'm sure that's the kind of rational argument that would have won over the Leavers.

I voted remain.

I fully agree, sarcasm and all.

And the genuinely rational arguments really worked out well, didn't they?

Just trying out some tough love.