Main Menu

28 Days Later (tried hard to make it spoiler free)

Started by paulvonscott, 01 November, 2002, 03:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

'Out of interest, the hospital the guy wakes up in at the start of the film is the flashy new medical centre at my local hospital at Park Royal in West London, so he must be bloody fit to get from there to Westminster Bridge in a few minutes.'

Nahh. If you look at the time on Big Ben when he starts crossing Westminster Bridge and then when he's halfway over it's obvious Jim has a time machine hidden in his pyjamas.

Or was he just pleased to see us?

HiEx

Mk13

>Nahh. If you look at the time on Big Ben when he starts crossing Westminster Bridge and then when he's halfway over it's obvious Jim has a time machine hidden in his pyjamas.

I'll let em get away with that one on the assumption that flesh-eating zombies are probably not terribly good at keeping big clocks running smoothly.

Oddboy

Okay saw it last night -
WHEN did they get to film that??
The chaos the Vanilla Sky people caused trying to film Tom walking around a deserted Times Square seems nothing compared to the huge empty spaces all over London?  Was I asleep that day?
Brilliant film, I really enjoyed it / freaked me out.
Only the magic taxi in the tunnel was a bit iffy (and some of their choices - taking the tunnel? like what's wrong with the open air bridges?  Concerned about the traffic, I don't think so!  And why did Jim go into the burger shop?)

Great film
Better set your phaser to stun.

GordonR

Finally saw it last night.  Two of my friends didn't like it at all.  Me and another one were cautiously enjoyed it.  

Several things puzzled all of us, though:

"We should be able to make it to Manchester in two or three days."  Eh???  One of my friends who used to deliver cars around the country assures me you can bomb it from London to Manchester in 3 hours, and that's in normal traffic, and not the completely empty, strangely wreckage-free motorways we see in the film.

"Hey, let's go through this dark, wreckage-filled tunnel, when there's all those bridges across the Thames!"  Others have mentioned this, and Tootles the Super-Taxi.

The scene where they stop for petrol.  Not so long ago in the tunnel scene, Jim was the only one sensibly pointing out the stupidity of going into dark creepy places where they'd most likely find the Infected.  Wise chap, but then what does he do here, two scenes later?  Wander off on his own into a dark creepy place where the Infected are hiding.  Oh dear.

The Infected are super-athletic, can track prey by sight and sound, open doors etc, but seemingly aren't smart enough to feed, which any living organism knows how to do by instinct, and so all conveniently starve to death in the end?   Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

And, if they're vomiting up blood all the time, how are they able to replace those lost fluids and keep on going?  You'll die a lot quicker of blood loss or thirst than you will from starvation.

Oddboy

Yup - last year I drove up to see a friend at Lancaster University (which IIRC is North of Manchester) from South London.  The longest stretch of the journey is crossing central London in the traffic.

Actually, wasn't that tunnel the one just north of Waterloo Bridge, near the Strand?  If so they'd be north of the river already so ignore what I said earlier about "like what's wrong with the open air bridges".

Last time I drove north of the river I chickened out of using that tunnel in favour of roads that you can see and there weren't even any infected psychos.

Did like the cameo from Father Jack though.

Art

Just seen it. It has all the flaws listed above, and more, as well as looking fuzzy as hell due to the digital video (Going by this DV seems to be extremely lighting sensitive and have big problems with depth-of-field) but... But...

Its bloody ACE!

Its an unpretentious, non-ironic, effective zombie movie, and best of all, its set in the UK - which makes several scenes oddly poignant n a way I'm sure they wouldn't be for me if it was set in, say, LA (I always think of America as a slightly unreal place, the land of television, even now I've been there)

In parts I was reminded of the kind of thing we'd have on TV if the BBC still made serious SF/Horror programmes. TERRY NATION LIVES!

Oddboy

set in the UK - which makes several scenes oddly poignant n a way I'm sure they wouldn't be for me if it was set in, say, LA

Totally!  Was standing near the statuey cherub thingy at Picadilly yesterday and it had the boards up around it...
Just crossing Westminster Bridge now seems somehow more special somehow..

paulvonscott

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did Art, for me the only negative point is that most of the movie has been done before in different films/programs.  

But it isn't something I begrudge, they've produced an individual movie from those elements.  I hope it does well, and starts a trend for this kind of movie again, as you said, VERY Terry Nation, the soldier stuff could well have been a survivors episode (as could a lot of it).

When's the DVD out?

Mk13

>"We should be able to make it to Manchester in two or three days." Eh??? One of my friends who used to deliver cars around the country assures me you can bomb it from London to Manchester in 3 hours, and that's in normal traffic, and not the completely empty, strangely wreckage-free motorways we see in the film.The scene where they stop for petrol. Not so long ago in the tunnel scene, Jim was the only one sensibly pointing out the stupidity of going into dark creepy places where they'd most likely find the Infected. Wise chap, but then what does he do here, two scenes later? Wander off on his own into a dark creepy place where the Infected are hiding. Oh dear.The Infected are super-athletic, can track prey by sight and sound, open doors etc, but seemingly aren't smart enough to feed, which any living organism knows how to do by instinct, and so all conveniently starve to death in the end? Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

Mk13

Erm, that wasn't quite the reply I wanted to post - presumably falling into idly-using-punctuation-that-means-something-important-in-HTML trap again....

Art

TordelBack

DavidXBrunt

How would Slaine deal with a Zombie invasion? Would he think 28 days were too many?