Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Regardless the answer, seems that Kubrick's The Shining was a fertile ground for conspiracy theories.
[/quote]

Speaking of which, I would recommend the documentary, Room 237. Mad as a box of frogs in parts but worth a look.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 11 April, 2021, 05:58:44 PM
Kubrick.

The Mick Garris directed adaptation was a mini-series.

Ah yes. My mistake.

Quote from: paddykafka on 11 April, 2021, 06:23:06 PM

Regardless the answer, seems that Kubrick's The Shining was a fertile ground for conspiracy theories.

Speaking of which, I would recommend the documentary, Room 237. Mad as a box of frogs in parts but worth a look.
[/quote]

Yes, I've watched that. Quite odd stuff.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

PALM SPRINGS

A Groundhog Day update, with him from Brooklyn 99 and her from Bridesmaids as sassy alcohol fuelled reprobates stuck in a beautiful hellhole. And him who plays JJ Jameson in the Spiderman films [spoiler]as their grumpy sometimes killer[/spoiler].

Is it a rom-com? I suppose, maybe, but it's also as nihilistic as a teenage goth.

I enjoyed it.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 April, 2021, 11:04:38 PM
PALM SPRINGS

A Groundhog Day update, with him from Brooklyn 99 and her from Bridesmaids as sassy alcohol fuelled reprobates stuck in a beautiful hellhole. And him who plays JJ Jameson in the Spiderman films [spoiler]as their grumpy sometimes killer[/spoiler].

Is it a rom-com? I suppose, maybe, but it's also as nihilistic as a teenage goth.

I enjoyed it.

Groundhog Day is one of my top ten favourites and I like derivatives like Happy Death Day and Premature.  I might just check this out.

Buttonman

I thought Palm Springs was OK - not a lot added to the Groundhog Day vibe and I could have done with more of the JK Simmons character.

Saw Thunder Force tonight -Shit Force more like. Jason Bateman is the only redeeming feature but even he struggles with a weak script and a dearth of laughs.

Funt Solo

Good choice of where to place the "shit". Thunder Shit would have made it sound better than it was.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 April, 2021, 11:29:21 PM
I thought Palm Springs was OK - not a lot added to the Groundhog Day vibe and I could have done with more of the JK Simmons character.

Saw Thunder Force tonight -Shit Force more like. Jason Bateman is the only redeeming feature but even he struggles with a weak script and a dearth of laughs.

These were the two films I watched at the weekend as well.

I wasn't optimistic about Palm Springs (which is on Amazon Prime btw), but its a good film. Like Groundhog Day, its a dark comedy. Andy Samberg is always a likeable lead and was a good choice for this. I was kind of mystified by JK Simmons' character arc, though. Some well chosen John Cale tracks on the soundtrack improved my opinion of the film as well. There's always room for John Cale.

Thunder Force is very stupid but gentle comedy. The jokes fall flat more often than land. The bad guys don't work and the script relies heavily on a single gross out gag. It's pretty much the epitome of a made for Netflix comedy and could have Adam Sandler in the lead with the lightest of rewrites. Still, I didn't hate it. It's a distraction of a film to have on in the background.

wedgeski

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 April, 2021, 11:04:38 PM
PALM SPRINGS

I enjoyed it.
Fun movie--very good performance from the two leads I thought. Not sure where you're getting your Bridesmaids connection from?

Dandontdare

The Lego Movie 2 - The second part  Everything is still awesome.

Zombieland 2 - Double Tap I wasn't even aware that this sequel existed until it came up in conversation at work. Enjoyed it even more than the first one. I can watch Woody Harrelson in anything, and Eisenberg and Stone are very good too. The whole gag about meeting Owen Wilson & his sidekick was lifted from Shaun of the Dead (which apparently inspired the writing of the first movie), but I can forgive that. Recommended

Tiplodocus

CELL
Another "zombie" flick based on a Stephen King novel. So I was expecting visions of a demonic bad guy in the plot. I wasn't expecting what starts out as a refreshing take on zombies combined with commentary on our obsession with phones to turn so quickly into a turgid mess with in engaging leads (Cusack looks thoroughly bored throughout and even Samuel L phones it in) and a non twist of a finale.

"CELL"? More like "SMELLs of shite".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CalHab

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 April, 2021, 09:08:21 PM
Cusack looks thoroughly bored throughout

That's kind of all he does. Sometimes he varies it by being a bit sarcastic, in a very stilted way.

von Boom

Quote from: CalHab on 13 April, 2021, 09:15:46 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 April, 2021, 09:08:21 PM
Cusack looks thoroughly bored throughout

That's kind of all he does. Sometimes he varies it by being a bit sarcastic, in a very stilted way.
Fair play to him though, he's made a decent career out of it.

pictsy

Godzilla vs. Kong

It was OK.  Not enough Godzilla vs. Kong, too much "story".  It didn't really manage to push my buttons.  I liked all the Neon.  The film is unnecessarily drenched in it.  I liked the deaf girl character.  The fights were decent.  I didn't think the "jokes" were funny.

Rara Avis

Not sure if I've posted this already:

Promising Young Woman is definitely worth a watch :

https://youtu.be/7i5kiFDunk8

As is Rocks :

https://youtu.be/NULP0s2FhPE

repoman

I downloaded a fan edit of Prometheus/Covenant.  It combines both films and trims it all down to 2.5 hours.  I can't quite bring myself to sit down and watch it yet but I feel like Prometheus is salvageable.  The final cut was okay but full of daftness.  There were perfectly good scenes deleted.

Not sure Covenant can be saved though.  It's absolute trash.