Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Technically, I haven't actually watched it yet, but thanks to appalling impulse control and the fact there is no sniff of cinemas re-opening in ROI, I watched several dodgy Youtube clips from Spiral: From the Book of Saw (aka 'Saw IX') over the weekend.

The view of the back of a cinema-goers head notwithstanding, that is one fantastic final scene.
Maybe only bettered by the original jaw dropper.

I hope it does relatively well in the cinema / VOD (when available), cause I'd like to see more from Chris Rock and the boys.

Recrewt

I enjoyed the first saw film a lot and didn't see the twist coming on the first viewing but I'm surprised how many sequels they have managed to churn out, given the laws of diminishing returns!

broodblik

Watched Army of the Dead on Netflix. A fun enjoyable movie with over-the-top elements that you can expect from any Snyder movie. Highly recommended for any Zombie fans. The runtime is quite long about 2:30 hours but it never felt like over 2 hours.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: broodblik on 23 May, 2021, 08:23:43 AM
Watched Army of the Dead on Netflix. A fun enjoyable movie with over-the-top elements that you can expect from any Snyder movie. Highly recommended for any Zombie fans. The runtime is quite long about 2:30 hours but it never felt like over 2 hours.
Yeah, I didn't rate it that highly. It was barely two minutes in before it started annoying me. Attempts at new (?) zombie lore felt like nothing more than to give the alpha zombie something to get mad about. Characters who were crack shots from 50m suddenly couldn't hit a zombie in the head at point blank range.  Emotional beats missed by similar margins. And if I have to listen to another fudging half-time acoustic cover of a song I like, I'll shoot *myself* in the head.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Donnie Darko

Never seen it before. For a film praised for being unique and innovative, it just seems to tick every cliché there is for an indie film:

- pretentious (check)     
- confuses mystery with plot (check)
- impressed by its own cleverness (check)
- but not actually that clever (check)

That said, its 80s goth rock sound-track is incredible.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Empire's Donnie Darko review

I just had to counter - tis a movie I love. Twisted, complex, beautifully filmed - it manages to do that neat trick of providing us with a teenage viewpoint of an adult-controlled world, and the terrible hypocrisy's that run rampant. I believe it has the courage of its convictions, and so cannot successfully be labeled pretentious.

I also love the soundtrack.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Donnie Darko was realised when I was the right age for it.  And I loved it.  The cinema I saw it in was so packed there were people sitting on the floor.  I've had some great cinema experiences and this film is up there with the best.

Nevertheless, the last time I saw it I did not like it.  I watched the directors cut and just found it kinda ruined the enigmatic quality of it's more esoteric concepts.  I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I used to and I started to wonder if the nay-sayers were right and I was just remembering with nostalgia.

I think I need to rewatch the theatrical cut.

Radbacker

I love Donnie Darko one of my favourite movies.

Watched Nobody last night, bone crunching fun, the previews make it look like a John Wick ripoff but it's quite different.  The violence is next level brutal where Wicks violence is quite comic bookish and all gun fu type this is just so damn cruchy and really makes you cringe with each hit and shot.  One for fans of action movies

CU Radbacker

The Enigmatic Dr X

That's the beauty of the internet, I guess. So many ways for you folks to be WRONG.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

I am glad that there is someone who disliked self-indulgent, pretentious Donnie Darko.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Death Race 2050

The wikipedia page gives the impression that this is a sequel to Death Race 2000.  It's not.  It's a remake/reboot.  It's kinda fun.  Death Race 2000 is dumb as a bag of bricks.  It's satire lacks subtlety or nuance, it looks and is cheap and it's incredibly daft.  Death Race 2050 is all those things as well.  I wouldn't watch the two films back to back, but I'd probably watch 2050 over Death Race.  And Death Race has Jason Stathom in it!  To be fair, 2050 has Malcolm McDowell claiming another pay cheque, so it's tough competition.  What I'm trying to say is I enjoyed the film and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it.  Very much like when I first watched Death Race 2000 last year.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 24 May, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
I am glad that there is someone who disliked self-indulgent, pretentious Donnie Darko.

Impossible as it is to rebut such a cogent argument, I must confess that your silver tongue has swayed me to your way of of thinking. Tell me now, if you would deem to stoop, your thoughts on the subtle ouvre of Milius?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 May, 2021, 03:47:12 PM

Impossible as it is to rebut such a cogent argument, I must confess that your silver tongue has swayed me to your way of of thinking. Tell me now, if you would deem to stoop, your thoughts on the subtle ouvre of Milius?

Don't be mean! Any film that needs a director's cut to explain its plot is mince.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 May, 2021, 04:43:49 PM
Don't be mean! Any film that needs a director's cut to explain its plot is mince.
You probably wouldn't have liked it anyway but this is definitely where you've gone wrong. The Director's Cut is notoriously shite and generally taken as evidence (alongside his next film) that the director himself didn't understand what made the film good in the first place.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the film at the time but haven't seen it for at least ten years and my tastes and tolerances for certain things have changed a lot. On the other hand, I still love all sorts of pretentious guff.
We never really die.

milstar

Ah... If by Milius you refer to John Milius, I find his stories way more interesting in conveying deep philosophy bullshit, where in Donnie Darko, you feel like the director was screaming behind the camera "look at me, I am smart, I am smart" in every single scene.
In other words, Enigmatic Doctor was right about the internet.

Quote from: pictsy on 24 May, 2021, 02:11:32 PM
Death Race 2050

The wikipedia page gives the impression that this is a sequel to Death Race 2000.  It's not.  It's a remake/reboot.  It's kinda fun.  Death Race 2000 is dumb as a bag of bricks.  It's satire lacks subtlety or nuance, it looks and is cheap and it's incredibly daft.  Death Race 2050 is all those things as well.  I wouldn't watch the two films back to back, but I'd probably watch 2050 over Death Race.  And Death Race has Jason Stathom in it!  To be fair, 2050 has Malcolm McDowell claiming another pay cheque, so it's tough competition.  What I'm trying to say is I enjoyed the film and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it.  Very much like when I first watched Death Race 2000 last year.

Is that the movie where drivers compete against each other in drive-by to death, while having hot chicks as co-drivers, who usually end up dead?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.