Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

So Danny DeVito is the answer to both best Bat & best Carrey: Batman Returns and Man on the Moon.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

What is wrong with you lot?

BATMAN (1989)? More like SHITMAN (1989)!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

Hawkmumbler

FREE GUY

I want every film burned if 140 years of refining the art culminates in this kind of pap. We need a fresh start.

von Boom

Greyhound. Tom Hanks gives another great performance as the captain of a destroyer in the Battle of the Atlantic. It helps that it's based on the C.S. Forrester novel The Good Shepherd.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 September, 2021, 08:07:17 PM
FREE GUY

I want every film burned if 140 years of refining the art culminates in this kind of pap. We need a fresh start.

I liked it. Very feel-good and formulaic, sure but I was in the mood for that and I have a lot of time for Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer.

Hawkmumbler

IDK man I reached the point where [spoiler]RR produced a bunch of Disney merch from his pocket with accompanying score as a bunch of smooth brain Youtubers egged him on and just clocked straight the fuck out. It was a solid 'this is bad' up until that point and it only got worse after.[/spoiler]

Revulsive movie.

Funt Solo

Greyhound trailer

Not sure why the u-boats are making Transformer noises - I'm worried that they've turned reality into a video game for this one.

Also assuming "inspired by actual events" means that there really was a war, then script writers happened:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Watched Greyhound a while back when it first came out on Apple TV since I had a free membership for 6 months.  Very much by-the-numbers-how-America-Won-The-War. 

One of those that I tend to watch while cooking (or rather, have on in the background and pay a bit more attention to in those quiet "better give this a bit more of a stir" moments).

If they've made it into a video game then it is a particularly dull one.

Funt Solo

Star Trek VIII: First Contact - bad drunk acting, swexy Borg snogs, the collective falling apart when their swexy leader bites the bullet (which makes the collective not really a collective), the farmer from Babe being this down-home alcoholic rocket builder that invents the warp drive in his spare time: everything on paper makes this a terrible movie, but it's mostly harmless fun.  Kinda breaks the "every even one is great" rule, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

THE GREEN KNIGHT

I really wanted this to be rubbish so I could say"More Like The Green Shite!" but it's pretty much why cinema was invented. Don't understand one of the bits of allegory or metaphor? Don't worry, the episodic nature means another one will be along in five minutes. And the overall theme is actually pretty straightforward. Gorgeous to look at and listen to, beautifully acted and with a brilliant final montage and ambiguous last line, I'll be watching this many more times.

It's available on Prime but we saw it at the cinema which was a wise decision.

wedgeski

After being a little disappointed in Dunkirk, I went back to double check that Inception is as perfect as I remember it. Good news, it is! Incredible film-making.

milstar

Quote from: wedgeski on 27 September, 2021, 09:32:52 AM
After being a little disappointed in Dunkirk, I went back to double check that Inception is as perfect as I remember it. Good news, it is! Incredible film-making.

Truly mindblowing film. And the part with Cillian Murphy and his Dad - incredibly poignant.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

broodblik

Watch Free Guy this weekend. One of those movies that had a few laughs but nothing special about and by next week I would completely forget about it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pictsy

13 (Tzameti)

It's in French and it's in black and white.  It isn't dialogue heavy so gets a lot across with the leads stellar acting.  Pretty simple and solid story about desperation and emotional horror.  Just a solid piece of cinema.  I enjoyed it.

I haven't seen the remake, but I understand the it was made by the same director.

Feast

Should have been better than it was.  It wasn't quite funny enough for a horror comedy and it didn't have enough charm to make up for it.  Bit of a low budget From Dusk Til Dawn knock off.  The acting ranges from shaky to bad.  It wastes both Henry Rollins and Jason Mewes (as Jason Mewes).  The character cards should have been ditched.  They weren't funny and just ended up giving the game away.  There were a few good ideas.  The film should have leant heavier into the big douche arsehole coming out the other side as a decent human being.  They almost had it, but it's messy and unclear if that was even their intention.  It was a disappointment and my expectations weren't high to begin with.  It just failed to be fun enough whilst clearly trying so hard to be fun.  Meh.