Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

JUST AROUND THE CORNER- new sitcom by andy hamilton (bow when you say his name, creeps, for britain has no better comedy writer) and guy jenkin, who together wrote 'drop the dead donkey'.

Set in near-future britain, after climate change has buggered things up, it features james bolam and that bloke from 'four weddings' whose name escapes me at present (james someone), the pilot was on ch4 the other night and was fantastic, with superb gaggage and characterisation that left me wanting to watch again and see the whole series.

Its bound to come round again on one of the ch4 channels so catch it- or on 4od. Best sitcom pilot ive seen in years, possibly since 'mighty boosh'.

SBT

Greg M.

I liked the line about Bono, and Sanjeev Bhaskar as the neighbour.

Mardroid

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 August, 2012, 10:56:05 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 August, 2012, 08:41:58 AM
Incidentally, there's also a new clip here. I wanted to post it on the Red Dwarf thread, but that seems to have vanished and I'd rather not make a new one. (I did use search but that seems to bring up a lot of other stuff, and I can't be bothered going through them all.)

The idea in that clip could be a fun concept, once they start pushing it to its limit. Oh, and the Red Dwarf thread is still here: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,36490.0.html

Thanks. Yeah I enjoyed that clip. And I only just remembered that trailer... Oops.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Just spent a lovely, hungover Sunday watching all of series V of Red Dwarf, shown back to back on Dave. For me, the best series overall.
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Judge Dredd. Channel 5. Right now.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

New True Blood - I missed it, but its repeated throughout the week. Much greatness although I commented to the wife that it would be impossible to follow if you haven't seen the last four series.
Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Never Mind The Buzzcocks just had the guy who was the baby on the cover of Nevermind on the line-up round. God, I feel old.

JOE SOAP

Mardroid

Red Dwarf X. This Thursday. The second of the three events I've most looked forward to this year is almost upon us. (No prizes for guessing what the first was.)

Frank

Arena: The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, BBC2 last night, but available on iplayer. In conclusion: DRUGS.

Frank

Laurence Rees and Ian Kershaw's classic documentary series, The Nazis: a warning from history started a repeat on BBC2 last week. This week's episode is the best in the entire series, Chaos and Consent, which demolishes the myth of the DAP as tireless and ruthlessly efficient idealogues. It shows how Hitler was an indolent and vague figure, who relied on a small coterie of acolytes to interpret his paranoid, contradictory ramblings and turn them into policy and action.

Most brilliantly and chillingly of all, it uses documentary evidence and interviews with the guilty parties to illustrate how the Nazis ruled not through physical force, but by exploiting the small mindedness, insecurities and petty grievances of the German people to turn them against and inform on each other (around the 26 minute mark). If you've only ever watched History Channel pish that fuels the perverse cult of personality around Hitler, you owe it to yourself to watch at least this episode.

CHAOS AND CONSENT

Spikes

It is indeed a brilliant series, and its one ive watched many times. And for those that havent seen it, the reasons you give are spot-on.
As an companion piece to the series, its also worth tracking down and reading Ian Kershaw's two excellent books; 
Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris, and Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 14 October, 2012, 11:01:24 PM
It is indeed a brilliant series, and its one ive watched many times. And for those that havent seen it, the reasons you give are spot-on. As an companion piece to the series, its also worth tracking down and reading Ian Kershaw's two excellent books;  Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris, and Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis.

Cheers, Jack; to the library!

Spikes

Voyager: to the final frontier on BBC4 9.00pm this Wednesday. But rather frustratingly, on BBC1 at the same time, is the return of (shouldnt he be a Sir, by now?) Michael Palin. Thank Grud for the i-player.

Frank

Is everyone watching Dr Alice Roberts anthropologising on BBC2? She's half Lara Croft/half Richard Dawkins, and she's on every night this week.