Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Brooker was good as usual - albeit looking more ill than ever (too much telly box?!) - but I sat up to my full height when he announced the film by Adam Curtis. That voice and intonation are mesmerising! He flatters your intelligence, all the while coming across as the Best Pub Bore In The World and I could listen to him all day. The man could see conspiracies in a baby's laugh. Great stuff.

And I somehow missed Vic & Bob, which hopefully there is still time to remedy. Their last series proved they've still got it.

Daveycandlish

For me, Mapp & Lucia was the Christmas telly highlight.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

COMMANDO FORCES

This Wednesday sees the start of a new series on Yesterday at 21:00 Freeview 19 - Virgin 206 - Sky 537.  It's called Weekend Warriors and no, it's not about the TA. Here's a bit about it

QuoteThis 6 x 60' series is a glorious celebration of British eccentricity, visiting the little-known world of the battle re-enactors. These men and women spend their weekends living in the past, as Roundheads, Cavaliers, Roman legionnaires, maids in distress, WWII soldiers or even Vikings. They bring to life the most famous battles in history, which are lovingly and accurately portrayed in the fields and villages of the UK.

I'm wondering if we will see the tallest man at the Nerve Centre in the opening episode, as that's all about the English Civil War Society. Set Pikes to jab and series link this!

Spikes

The Cohen brothers remake of True Grit is on BBC2 tonight at 10pm.

Been waiting for what seems like an age to see this, and I missed the last showing...

Colin YNWA

Bloomin' great movie. A real return to form for the Coens in my book.

Colin YNWA

Actually I should retract that (but can't modify now) cos of course when I remember my Coens' film ordered they'd been back on form for a few films before this... so ya know spouting nonsense as normal!

Spikes

I must admit I wasn't the biggest Cohen Coen brothers fan, but No Country for Old Men really opened my eyes, and has led me to re-discover, and enjoy, their back catalogue more than I previously had.

So looking forward to tonight. And if it's aces, then tracking down the DVD/BluRay tomorrow.

JamesC

There's a 70s remake of Nosferatu on Film4 tonight. I don't know much about this version but it looks like it could be pretty good.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JamesC on 01 February, 2015, 06:29:45 PM
There's a 70s remake of Nosferatu on Film4 tonight. I don't know much about this version but it looks like it could be pretty good.
One of the few remakes that slap bang equals the original. No word of a lie, Herzog out did himself in this retelling. A superb film.

TordelBack

Quote from: Spikes on 01 February, 2015, 05:26:42 PM

Been waiting for what seems like an age to see this, and I missed the last showing...

Finally - can't believe I haven't got around to watching this before now (although I have of course read the comic - and very legible it was too).  It seems like a perfect storm of things I love.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 February, 2015, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 01 February, 2015, 06:29:45 PM
One of the few remakes that slap bang equals the original. No word of a lie, Herzog out did himself in this retelling. A superb film.

Yeah another one that proves that Klaus Kinski is the creepiest man who ever lived as I recall.

Goaty

Quote from: Spikes on 01 February, 2015, 05:26:42 PM

The [spoiler]horses scenes[/spoiler] at ending of the film so heartbreaking to watch :(

Goaty

My missus want to see 50 Shades of Grey in Valentine's Day weekend, but not sure any of you been or your wife/girlfriends been read it, but I hadn't and I try tell her it better if she go with friend, as I would be uncomfortable to watch it! (Cos I knew it will be crap!) Am I right? Or should I go?

Zenith 666

Go see it and when you get her home ask if she wants to try it tie her to bed then pop down the pub as punishment for making you watch that rubbish.alternativly get the times wrong and go see ex Machina instead.

The Legendary Shark

And they say romance is dead...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]