Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The X-Files, Season 11. Self-indulgent piffle from start to finish. Just awful.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Radbacker

Been watching The Girl from Nowhere on Netflix with the missus.  A Thai show sort of anthology in that each episode is it's own story but the titular Girl From Nowhere is in each one, she is named Nanno which is Thai for Karma and most episodes revolve around her appearing at a new school and teaching students, teachers or generally bad bullying types a lesson I n Karma (som na na as my missus sAys, you get what you deserve).  Some very good episodes in its two seasons but some are quite confused in what they are trying to say.  Good if you like something different from your usual western shows.

CU Radbacker

The Legendary Shark

The Royle Family. Is this really over 20 years old? It's still wonderful, shifting effortlessly between comedy and pathos with such well-drawn characters. Also a kind of time capsule, capturing a time just before the world went mad. I'd love to know how the family are getting on now; how they're dealing with the tragic loss of Denise since Caroline Aherne left us too soon, whether everyone still calls Baby David Baby David and how deeply that irritates him, and how Jim's getting on with Netflix. Can't see him being a GoT fan - "Dragons my arse! Even if they did exist there wouldn't be enough fire in 'em to compete with you bloody lot leaving my bloody immersion on!"

A classic show with much still to say, for me on a par with the likes of Steptoe and Son.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 August, 2021, 08:43:40 PM

Gawd, how could they get it so wrong?

Still enjoyed the bonkers sushi bar episode, and Mulder's sigh of resignation when he had to use his reading specs.

Tiplodocus

So after about 10 episodes, season 10 of THE WALKING DEAD has a brilliant conclusion to the Whisper War. Beta's rampage through Alexandria is cut short suprisingly and brilliantly by Judith. Alpha meets a fitting end having gone toe to toe with Daryl , dying in the arms of her daughter Lydia but without reconciliation.

Except that doesn't happen, the two of them get up and walk it off like Halloween bogeymen and now I've got another dozen episodes to plough through... i swear, it's like doing homework sometimes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

A few episodes in, and Brand New Cherry Flavour on Netflix is quite weird and quite good.
I believe its the same creative team behind the various Channel Zero series, so if you liked that, give it a spin.

As an aside - There are now more Ted Bundy documentaries streaming than there were individual victims.

repoman

Physical

Bit of an odd premise.  Ex-hippie couple where he wants to get into politics and she wants to do aerobics to combat her overeating.

It sounds terrible but is oddly compelling and enjoyable.  Well worth a look if you fancy something a little different.

Hawkmumbler

Theres something kinda funny to me about Marvels 'What If...?' having the same level of animation competency as 2003's Scream of the Shalka.

Anyway other than finding Captain Carter incredibly on brand for me (insert Futurama snu-snu reference here) this has mostly been sub-par so far but as my partner is digging it I'll play along for now.

Also rewatched THE TERROR for a third time at work and it sill owns, probably the best horror show of the last decade.

The Legendary Shark

Blackadder. Again. Wonderful stuff (apart from the 'specials,' of course) - and that final scene got me again. Again.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

repoman

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 September, 2021, 09:34:58 PM

Blackadder. Again. Wonderful stuff (apart from the 'specials,' of course) - and that final scene got me again. Again.

The specials have merit.  Especially the 'he gave it all to the man with axe, oh' line.

My absolute favourite episode is The Black Seal, final episode of series 1.  It's so good.

Link Prime

Anyone else watching Mike Flanagan's new series, Midnight Mass on Netflix?

I devoured the first four episodes last night like a ravenous ancient vampire getting it's first taste of human blood in 2000 years.

Very slow burn and a bit ponderous, which I am sure will discourage some viewers, but this kinda stuff is right up my street, even if I have predicted pretty much every single twist thus far and have a fair idea how the finale will play out.
But it's the journey that matters, not the destination.

Some fine acting from the principal cast, Hamish Linklater in particular, and Kate Siegel is as mesmerizingly beautiful as ever.

It's a 9/10 so far, and I predict it'll stick the landing tonight.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 August, 2021, 08:43:40 PM

yes, but did you like it?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

In a strange timey-wimey thing, I'm now back to waiting for favourites to appear weekly: Gone Fishin', Virgil, QI, Gardener's World and even Gogglebox...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING (via Starz on Disney) is jolly good even if it is mainly sustained by a trio of fabulous central characters and performances. It's been a while since Steve Martin was this good. Worth seeking out.

In contrast, the Beebs much vaunted submarine murder mystery VIGIL is not. When it focuses on it's USP i.e. the claustrophobic nature of the sub and the higher stakes, it fares ok.  But the actual investigation is being headed by two unlikeable leads with a completely unbelievable relationship and isn't a good example of how you unpeel the onion layers of a mystery in a locked location. 

(Actually saw THE MOUSETRAP  back when it was in your recently... Surely the best template for such things)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

Finished Kevin Can F**k Himself which is a smart show where initially it is shot like a shitty US sitcom right down to the canned laughter but soon turns into a sort of dark drama whenever Kevin isn't in a scene.

It's quite clever, and it knows it's quite clever, but it's not a prick about it.