Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 December, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Image Humble Bundle

Latest version of these and by Toutatis I'm so tempted! I've not even looked at an of the books I got earlier this year but this collection includes a massive wedge of Savage Dragon if you go for the higher tiers as well as what looks like the complete Descender and some MAGE too!
Not sure whether to be annoyed that I forgot to back and actually buy this after looking at it several times or relieved that I haven't added another fifty books to the virtual unread pile.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 08 January, 2021, 09:39:07 AM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 December, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Image Humble Bundle

Latest version of these and by Toutatis I'm so tempted! I've not even looked at an of the books I got earlier this year but this collection includes a massive wedge of Savage Dragon if you go for the higher tiers as well as what looks like the complete Descender and some MAGE too!

Think is you know you'll get another chance in a year or so - very possibly sooner - so I wouldn't sweat it.
Not sure whether to be annoyed that I forgot to back and actually buy this after looking at it several times or relieved that I haven't added another fifty books to the virtual unread pile.

Tomwe

Quote from: I, Cosh on 08 January, 2021, 09:39:07 AM

This. I have so much unread digital it's insane.

IndigoPrime

I've missed two Image sales to date, due to ridiculous reasons, and so I grabbed this one on day one. Most of the gaps from the first one I missed have been filled with subsequent HBs anyway. My default now is going to be to snap up anything Image puts up there, rather than waiting, but not everything else (which I was doing at one point—meaning I now have loads of stuff to wade through and that, frankly, I'm not that bothered about).

IndigoPrime

Amazon on zero for two for me with chunky books at good prices. She-Hulk (Slott) omni from amazon.fr cancelled last week and now Absolute Swamp Thing 2. I sourced the former from IST and am not that fussed about the latter, but I'm now feeling a bit concerned about things I _do_ care about, like Usagi Yojimbo Saga 9. :/

Jade Falcon

Definitely not a bargain, and more proof that Oxfam are greedy so and so's.  Look at what they WERE selling it for.  I used to do voluntary work in an oxfam bookshop and some of the directives from management were getting lunatic scale.

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/science-fiction-and-fantasy/the-complete-nemesis-the-warlock-vol-1-books-1-4-hd_101565677?pscid=ps_ggl_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6Or_BRC_ARIsAPzuer8UAvcPWiKIrvnxFsJ6ZV4i_4nG1vMuS9QQKGcGeW0AZCLllwxOVSkaAuH9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Colin YNWA

Are they just looking on Amazon and seeing the prices there and getting tricked into thinking they've landed on a rarity, much sort after prize?

Jade Falcon

When I worked there we would look online with some stuff, see the lowest and highest price (average) and come to something in between.  Of course you always got some wackos online asking silly money but they would be ignored, as would the dirt cheap ones if the book was listed as in extremely poor condition.  Unfortunately I think Oxfam think they are a full blown collectibles seller rather than a charity shop nowadays.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tjm86

I think that what got on Oxfam's goat was the tendency of collectors to pick up rare books for a pittance and then flip them for silly money.  That being the case I kinda get the attitude that says "well, why can't we have it instead?"

Mind you, it's getting more than a little crazy these days.  Especially amazon.  Used to be that you could pick up older, less desirable gn's for a decent price.  Nowadays anything that is 6 months past discontinued is priced to wince!

ebay's gone to the dogs too.  I don't get why they're pushing private sellers with the fees they charge now.  Only folks who can use them are businesses.

I guess that explains some of the shipping costs from the states now.  Seeing as how ebay charge 10% on postage and packing too ...  :(

Jade Falcon

I get it with collectibles, I priced up a book that dated from the 18th Century and it sold to someone in Australia, we also had a 1st Edition of Lord of the Rings.  Things like that I can see being valuable.  Hell, I kept a pile of donated Vogue magazines in the shop from the 70's.  Some wanted to throw them out but I said that there were the people interested in nostalgia, fashion and they went for a good price.

Oxfam has never been cheap compared to some of the charity shops where you can pick up things like 3 paperback novels for £1, for one thing the condition of them can vary wildly and Oxfam try to have good condition stuff.

Some graphic novels though, the prices can be silly.  I remember seeing the price that the Savage Taking Liberties and The Guv'nor were going for for a while.  Silly money.

Colin YNWA

Another interesting looking Humble Bundle here from Legnedary Comics

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/discover-legendary-comics-books

Certainly not as full as the Image one and a lot of stuff hanging off movies and what not but work by GMozz, Irving, Waid and Wagner (Matt) means I'll probably give this one a go. Any highlights folks have read before?

Edited link—IP

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 January, 2021, 08:44:54 AMAny highlights folks have read before?
Annihilator is Morrison by numbers but has a couple of really amazing Frazer Irving pages in there. It's also permanently on sale on Comixology.

Not read anything else.
We never really die.

rogue69

Titan Comics are offering up to 66% off Digital versions of Tank Girl comics

IndigoPrime