Main Menu

A circle around Pat Mills' characters

Started by Wake, 22 January, 2003, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

I like Vernon and find his missus quite foxy too.

I wouldn't mind going down the pub with them (as long as they were buying).

Bico

Because it's Vernon Kaye, yes.  It's always justified, and should be encouraged.
I think it's a bit different, though - taking a dislike to someone who relies on their personality to make a living is understandable if you find that personality forced and tired, while taking a dislike to someone and slagging them off purely because everyone else is doing it, even though you've never read any of that person's books and it's the first you've ever heard of them is something else entirely.
As for Tess Daly - she looks nice, but that's about it.

Matt Timson

I think you're more than a little bit guilty of assumption, generalisation and certainly hypocrisy, there- but, I think I'll just bow to your superior logic on this one anyway...
Pffft...

Noisybast

In the unlikely event that Vernon Kaye were to turn up here, if he held his hands up and said "OK, my public persona isn't to everyone's taste, but it works for my target audience", and then proceeded to interact normally with the board, I'd be happy enough to see him here.

It's not like Saville affected an "I vant to bite your neck" accent and tagged all his posts in gothic script, is it?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dudley

That's actually quite a good example. Poor old Vernon gets quite a slating here- probably worse than poor old Steve Savile was getting before he turned up- and I've no doubt he'd get a proper bashing if he ever actually turned up. Is that any less wrong?

If Vernon Kaye turned up here* and said he'd just swung by because he was an enormous fan of 2000AD, he knows people take the piss out of him but he takes it in good humour, and he was then subjected to relentless personal attacks, it wouldn't really be right, would it?  There?s a difference between a person, and a public image.

Since the regular contributors to this board are the "strongest" people here, bullying of newbies is still bullying, no matter what they do on the outside world.  Not so much of a problem when it's the dry cleaning boy or the unemployed bike courier (or even the business studies PhD Nazi) because they were actively malicious trolls.  That chap who wants to buy up every issue 2 and stick it in his Discarray was repeatedly asked to stop spamming before the rudeness started.  Saville seemed to be making an effort to take it on the chin, contribute meaningfully to a relevant discussion and fit in ? and all he got was attitude, bullying and really personal mockery.  

All smacks a bit of the schoolyard singling out the fat/ugly/wierd kid for abuse.  I remember being the fat, ugly and wierd kid ? and I reckon a few other people here do too.

*God forbid Vernon Kaye from turning up here, please.  The man's an arsehole.

Dudley

Hang on... did I just see Eyebrows trying to be conciliatory??????  You really *have* lost it, haven't you?

Matt Timson

I think that the word you're looking for is probably 'sarcastic'...

;)
Pffft...

Satanist

"I remember being the fat, ugly and wierd kid ? and I reckon a few other people here do too. "

Well it was only last week ;-)

Feel free to mock my hair!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Bico

You've only my word that I'd stick to slagging off Kaye's public personae, but that's all I can offer in response to the hypocrisy claim, really.
I have nothing to say about his personal life (even my opinions of his wife are based on her presenting work on telly), and to be honest, there's no good reason to slag off his personal life beyond maliciousness.  I have nothing against the Vernon Kaye who likes kittens, charity work and cooking breakfast in bed for the missus - my objection is to the loud, obnoxious thing that seems omnipresent on the telly in my dad's kitchen, and as he puts that in the public domain for our edification, it's no good crying if the odd person takes a dislike to it.  There's not much assumption in not liking a 'personality' on telly, as that's the public face they choose to show us, and most accept that they can't please everyone.
"BOLTON!"
Steve Savile, however - there were personal attacks (far removed from literary criticism of his books or his ability as a writer) from the off - from people I'll lay good money never even met him.  I'm struggling to see the justification.

I'd be the first to join in the slagging off of a public personality (or even Pat Mills, as can be seen on the thread) - but I'd like to think there'd be something to raise my ire, first.

House of Usher

I don't know why people dislike Vernon Kaye so much. At least he isn't Johnny Vaughan.
STRIKE !!!

El Spurioso

I've been away, moving house, etc.  When did all this alleged bullying etc occur?

Links to appropriate threads, someone?  Please?

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

The thread called RIPs - still on the main message board menu on 09/03/06.
STRIKE !!!

Matt Timson

Fuck knows- I've finally read the thread for myself and there doesn't seem to be anything worse than the usual piss-take.  As usual, the biggest moralising whiners are the ones most likely to gang up on someone else when it suits them...

There's another thread somewhere that (if I recall correctly) had piss-take of the bloke's website.  To my eternal shame*, I'm actually involved in that particular bit of mockery.

*if by 'eternal', you mean 'not a fucking bit', of course.
Pffft...

House of Usher

That would be thread 16236, The Knucker.
STRIKE !!!