Main Menu

35 Years of artists drawing themselves into Sláine

Started by Andrew_J, 27 March, 2014, 04:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_J

During Flint's recent interview with Pat Mills on ECBT2000AD they brought up the subject of artist's basing Sláine on themselves. Out of interest I put this together. What do you think? Any other characters that are based on their artist?

amines2058

That is a scary photo of the Biz! I did think after reading 1874 that Slaine was the spitting image of Simon Davis though.
Never really picked it up on the others to be honest. Well not until you showed me the above anyway. Is it a case of they all secretly want to be an axe-wielding, warp-spasming, killing machine, or just that the closest and easiest photo ref they could get hold of was themselves??

TordelBack

Where's Angie Kincaid?

Tell you what though, they're a handsome bunch.  Maybe Mills asks for a photo with the tryouts?

Bellardinelli obviosuly couldn't get away with it as he's in every strip he draws already...

Great graphic afjudge, well done!

CrazyFoxMachine

Surely it's only Langley and Davis that have really been doing it? Although Staples one looks more like Bisley!

Langley uses photos of himself for most protagonists though. The right time to bring out this old chestnut - his take on Anderson.

Skullmo

Bryan Talbot drew a Slaine story didn't he? I am not sure he would make a good Slaine but he would make a great Elfric  :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

judda fett

Quote from: Skullmo on 27 March, 2014, 05:24:07 PM

Bryan Talbot drew a Slaine story didn't he? I am not sure he would make a good Slaine but he would make a great Elfric  :P

He inked/ helped Fabry finish a deadline one issue in the 400's I believe.

Skullmo

Quote from: judda fett on 27 March, 2014, 05:45:04 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 27 March, 2014, 05:24:07 PM

Yes- I know that one   .. . I was thinking of the Diceman ones - but I had a look and it was David Lloyd I was thinking of my brain had just warped it
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judda fett on 27 March, 2014, 05:45:04 PM

He did. Bafflingly, it looked 'orrible. I can't think of another example of two excellent artists having their styles kind of cancel each other out in that way...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

You're not wrong; it was inexplicably pish.  I'm really liking Simon Davis on Sláine - evokes memories of the McMahon / Bellardinelli days.  I still haven't got my head round Sláine being Simon Davis.  I'll get used to it, I suppose.

Never realised how many artists drew themselves as Sláine, handsome pack of bastards that they are.  Does that mean Pat Mills' ex-wife looked like a 90s wrestler?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 April, 2014, 08:25:40 AM
Does that mean Pat Mills' ex-wife looked like a 90s wrestler?

She's got a tiny body and an enormous head:

Magnetica

Have to say I really liked the Simon Davis Slaine aswell. I did n't think I would - which is strange in a way because I love his SinDex, but I just did n't think he would be suited to it, but you know what its great.

Now is there any other 2000AD story that could benefit from a change of artist I wonder?

Hhhmm...I know...um....ABC Warriors :lol:

shaolin_monkey

judda fett

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 02 April, 2014, 12:18:29 AM
What about David Pugh?

When they did Time Killer David Pugh and Glenn Fabry were given Billy Idol and Jack Nicholson as photo reference for Slaine. You can see a lot of Jack in David Pugh's pages.