Main Menu

Prog 1909 : WHERE EAGLES DARE

Started by Darren Stephens, 22 November, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Great prog, with series either ending or winding up.

Cover: Another superb illustration from the dynamic droid duo of Robinson and Teague. Can't believe this hasn't been done before. The simple ideas are sometimes the best, as is the case here....

Dredd and Kingdom come to the end of their respective stories with a bang! Loved both of these strips and the endings do not disappoint.

The rest is all fantastic too, with Greysuit being my personal highlight, though Ichabod is a close second. Quite disturbing, but a top read.

Is it one more week until the big one....? Can't wait to clap eyes on Dark Justice! ;)

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tjm86

The Dredd ending did make me chuckle.  All that effort and ....  A little surprised that it went so simply.  Thought there would be a few more layers.  That said it was nice that Wagner did not deliver a predictable tale in that respect.

Other highlights for me were definitely Kingdom, Greysuit and a slightly better than recent Droid Life.  Stickleback is enjoyable but not doing it for me.  Ichabod resorts to tropes that personally I felt have been done to death, and better, elsewhere.  I finally figured out what has been bothering me about this series since day 1 when I picked up Preacher for a reread and hit the Saint of Killers story. 

Is it one more week until the big one....? Two if you read the Nerve Centre (which admittedly I rarely do)

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 November, 2014, 10:45:34 AM
Is it one more week until the big one....? Two if you read the Nerve Centre (which admittedly I rarely do)

Ha, I rarely read Nerve Centre. I did this week though, which makes my question even more silly.... :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Proudhuff

Fine cover and strap line

Nerve Centre:  Droid Life a bit near near the bone for some of us, why a Dad not simply another droid? curious.  Damage report shows PYE1 infected by sheditis, it gets us all one day.

Dredd: A great finale but spoiled by the [spoiler]shock spread page not being on a turn-over[/spoiler], my eye was drawn [spoiler]to that Block exploding as i turn the previous page [/spoiler] Nice to see Dredd getting the city back on its feet and [spoiler]the Citz then doing what they do best[/spoiler]

Which makes Stickleback top story in the prog, amazing double spread page and touching goodbye /reconciliation and the promise of more reveals/revenge, loverlyjuverly!

Itchybod Scratchy: wonderfully clashing with everything else in the Prog, making it stand out

Kingdom: comes to an end with no surprises but it's been fun, can't wait for Alan Moore's Kingdom +100.  ;)
DDT did a job on me

JamesC

Love the cover this week. Cliff Robinson's MC1 looks ace.

I've really enjoyed Block Judge but found the ending a little odd. In the old days Dredd would've come out with a classic one-liner to sell the punch line.

Greysuit was really good again. I just love seeing Pat Mills dream up new ways to bump people off.

Kingdom was excellent again but I'm a bit gutted Gene lost one of his blades. :(

I've been skipping the other two stories but still enjoying the prog overall.

Mabs

Blimey, that's one hell of a cover...
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Minkyboy

Cover: Great perspective, great background, great cover.

Dredd: Ha, called it! 
Quote from: Minkyboy on 08 November, 2014, 03:15:45 PM[spoiler]
Dredd: Hope that Marvis doesn't undo all of Dredd's good work by bringing down the block. [/spoiler]
It has been a fab run, and the shock ending just underlines that this is business as usual, block after block, day in and day out. It has been a treat.

Greysuit: Sorry Pat, still not feeling it and that singing Sarge  :o. I see that I was too harsh about the previous shower assassination though. In light of how Family Man gets his, Old Blakey is obviously offing them with a sense of poetic justice. Getting in close to mess up the poser's face before finishing him off was obviously part of the plan.

Stickleback: Brilliant and poignant.

Ichabod: Nasty but awesome. The HACK HACK HACK of the monster on two panels is quite disturbing. The KLAKKLAKKLAK is very effective and the SCHLOPPPPPPPP masterful.

Kingdom: Great finale. Letting the pictures tell the story with only a few lines of dialogue. Gene has a weird smile though.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Dark Jimbo

I'm surprised we've got even this far into the thread without anyone mentioning the potentially HUGE news that Tharg lets slip this week - [spoiler]Wagner/Ezqeurra bringing us more new Strontium Dog next year! Told you he wasn't dead.  ;)[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

LARF

Excellent Prog, and amazing cover by Cliff.

I have a big spoilery question: [spoiler]At the end of Kingdom does anyone else thnk that city is the OZ Sydney Melbourne Conurb?[/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: LARF on 23 November, 2014, 09:49:43 AM
Excellent Prog, and amazing cover by Cliff.

I have a big spoilery question: [spoiler]At the end of Kingdom does anyone else thnk that city is the OZ Sydney Melbourne Conurb?[/spoiler]

Me. That was my first reaction. Then I thought the chances of it were slim. But, still...
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

What a stonking Prog. Two endings so brilliantly contrasting in one particular way, what they foretell. Kingdom reachs an explosive conclusion and while the episode is all bang the ending promises... well an ending. I wonder if the next story will be the last, what with Rich Elson being so busy elsewhere. It certainly makes a significent change and I personally can't wait for this superb strip to return... or more likely will have to but will do so willingly knowing it will be back.

Dredd too reaches its explosive conclusion and its quite, quite brilliant. The contrast though is that Dredd makes it clear it will never end, his struggle goes on and he does too. His reaction to the dramatic conclusion throw me a little I have to say. He took it all so matter of fact, too matter of fact maybe. Has he seen so much that even that, after all that work begs no reaction, just turn round and get to work. Have events of the last few years hardened him so much? Am I just expecting too much from it all and he reacted exactly as he should... that's how I think it goes to be honest but I found it fascinating and loved the whole thing.

So much so in fact that it gets thrill of the week even over Ichabod and his title of blarh blarh blarh lots and lots of words blarh blarh blarh blarh. Which was quite brilliant too... as was Greysuit heck even Sticklebrick which I've struggled with again, was superb this week, quite an eye openner.

Possibly Prog of the year that... which I can't back up or haven't thought about, but boy if it wasn't...

Cheers Tharg. Keep it up.