Main Menu

2000 AD Southern Contingent FCBD Mini Meet Up - 2nd May - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 15 April, 2015, 02:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Due to there being a 2000 AD signing at the FCBD event at the Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue, we've decided to have a mini meet up, as it's later than usual. it's on the 2nd of May and at 15:00 or 12:00 if you want to arrive for the earlier signing.

The signing is at 15:00 and the creators at this are Mike McMahon, Ben Willsher, Henry Flint, Matt Smith & Pye Parr. After everyone has had their goodies and stuff signed it'll be over to The Crown and Anchor in Neal Street, for a tipple or two.

If people want top turn up earlier, at 12:00, then Al Ewing & Rob Williams are signing Dr Who stuff.

Dark Jimbo

May end up being in the capital that weekend with the family, in which case I'll sneak away for a cheeky pint or two - otherwise it's probably unlikely I'll make this one.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm gonna be there with family as well, as I was making a day out of it before we organised the gathering. We'll do a couple of hours and then it's off to the Hard Rock cafe for Sam.

COMMANDO FORCES

Okay chaps, it's been confirmed that Henry Flint won't be at the signing. It was stated in the Meg but not on the Forbidden Planet page. So leave those Henry items at home :'(

COMMANDO FORCES

Things packed to be signed, money in pocket to buy things and stuff seen on the web that has added excitement to the day.
Fare there well and see you in the big city, all who are going.

COMMANDO FORCES

Pretty damn enjoyable day all round :D

The 2000 AD signing was a great success and the queue was impressive! The droids at the table were Pye Parr, Matt Smith, Al Ewing, Ben Willsher and Mike McMahon and they were signing furiously most of the time. Ben started a sketch for someone and was politely told, no sketches, due to the size of the queue but he finished that one.

Also saw a young boy with a Dr Who book who looked crestfallen when he realised that Matt Smith was not his Matt Smith, poor sod :lol:

Once I'd collected my signatures, artwork and bits and bobs, it was off to the Southern Contingent pub for a a good old chinwag and some coke (I was driving). I think there was around the 20 mark, with a few new members, which is always nice.

A great event organised by Forbidden Planet and well done to all the Southern Contingent, for another enjoyable time.

Spikes

Aye, a great full day all round.

Got home just before 1am, after being up and on the go from 5am the previous day, but it was all totally worth it.
Thank Grud, I've got the bank holiday off work to help in the recovery process!

Great to meet, and chat with some new faces, along with others id met before, and of course great to meet the mighty McMahon, and the Wonderful Willsher - along with all the others signing that day, and get a good selection of things signed, not to mention the page of art that I got from Ben.

FP seems to be always permanently busy, and hectic, but great to see the amount of people that turned up for the signing. Very impressive, indeed.

Mardroid

Afer an embarrassing moment on the tube almost falling on a muslim guy*who actually held me up (and this was before the drinking had started,) I got to FP rather late. Most of the outher Southers had moved on, but I found a few near the desk. One sporting a certain helmet and shooter for a certain fan film, which looked rather nice... i hope models of that that gun becomes available from Planet Replicas. Whether I can affford it or not is another matter...

I picked up a copy of Grandville at discount, and my free copy of 2000 AD which I got the three droids available to sign. (I'm sure I've seen that Pye chap elsewhere, by the way, although I didn't know what he did.)

Then on to the Crown and Anchor for drinks.

Was kinda struck at how tall one young guy was. I'm 6 foot. He beat me...

Then on to curry with the last three remaining Southers. A nice time all round, although I wished I'd arrived earlier.

*I think they were muslims. They had those kind of beards I asociate with Inams. Hope that doesn't make me a racist... Nice guys. They took my accident well with polite amusement, even my exclamation of a swear word (not directed at them, more my toppling over. Silly jolty train).

sheridan

Damnit - I didn't know anyone was going on for a post-pub meal - wish someone had mentioned it!

COMMANDO FORCES

I was up the Hard Drokk Cafe and the family were treated wonderfully. They seated us early, asked what music we wanted on the screens and our songs came up next (Sam chose Queen and Caz, Billy Idol) and then they gave Sam some free merchandise.
What a special rounding off to a hugely enjoyable day :D

Skullmo

Quote from: sheridan on 03 May, 2015, 05:20:09 PM
Damnit - I didn't know anyone was going on for a post-pub meal - wish someone had mentioned it!

It was a spur of the moment thing! A trip to my favourite Indian restaurant
It's a joke. I was joking.

sheridan

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 May, 2015, 06:12:19 PM

It was a spur of the moment thing! A trip to my favourite Indian restaurant

Where did you go?

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

sheridan

Quote from: Skullmo on 03 May, 2015, 10:15:47 PM
The Punjab!
Long way to go for...  Oh I see what you mean...

This one?

Shall have to check it out some time.

Mardroid

It was a last.minute decision really, not somehing planned from the beginning.

Mainly a case of "fancy a curry?  I know a good place."
"Sure. Why not."

But if you stick to the end, the last of us often go somewhere.

Edit-
Oh..sorry Skullmo.already answered.